Beech Hill Country House Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
City Hotel(Derry)
View Hotel
All reviewsbill clintonduring wwiiwater wheelwalking trailsmaster suitehotel groundssecond world warwalled gardenantique furniturepublic roomslounge barsuperior roomhuge bedrelaxing breakwedding partynorthern irelandboth nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 30, 2010

Just experienced a 5 night business and pleasure stay at Beechhill House. I love going there when working in the area and returning at night to the stylish country house hotel on the edge of Derry. The Suite was relaxing as usual, 2 big LCD Tvs in different rooms is a nice touch. I really like the antique furniture mixed with comfortable sofas etc. The King size bed in room 50 was so comfortable I was reluctant to get up in the mornings .
The gourmet restaurant always has a good selection of local fish and organic meat or venison. Vegetables are fresh and local. Some are grown in the large estate within which the house is located. In the mornings I enjoyed breakfast in the elevated restaurant overlooking the waterfall and waterwheel.. Another relaxing feature is walking through the enormous wooded gardens and past the stream which meanders though the grounds (but try to bring footwear suitable for forest walks). We have many happy memories of our trip. I found Patsy Seamus and staff to be friendly and courteous as always. I must have stayed at Beech Hill a dozen times in the past few years and have always enjoyed my visits. Hope to be back again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding. Lovely grounds and nice hearty Ulster food. The rooms in the main building are quite dated, however the suites in what seemed like the newer part of the hotel were very nice and modern. The staff made every effort to make sure the wedding went well. It was nice but not especially fantastic, and I felt it was really overpriced w=for what it is.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2010

On arriving at the hotel I was disappointed to notice scaffolding work ongoing. OK, the roof needs to be replaced, but a notice on the website advising of this or an e-mail would have been appreciated. I was able to get a deal with the accommodation; the rooms at full price would have been overpriced. The junior suite which I had requested had scaffolding outside it, so we were upgraded to a master suite which was lovely. Unfortunately, the wine which I had ordered to be placed in the room was not there, so I had to make a telephone call to have it delivered. The cooked breakfast on day one was lovely, however the second day was self service and was a disappointment. The fitness area, although we had not planned to use it, appeared out of use and again, I felt this should have been advertised as so on the website. We did not dine in the restaurant, but availed of the light options menu which was reasonably priced and tasty. Our stay was not marred by any of these faults, but unfortunately because of them I do not feel that I could recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Website: looks excellent,
Reality: we were waiting to get receptionists attention to check in, got the oldstyle b and b key for the room, there was a 2nd floor to climb to with the luggage, got offered help by the receptionist very Pc correct,
double room which was internet special: 85 pounds b and b per night per room was in my opinion overpriced;small;
the hotel itself felt more like BandB , and I did traveled a lot all over Ireland, Uk.

Price:overpriced for what we got,
Room: small room, comfy bed is a plus, interior screaming for refubrishment,random pictures of fossils, some old lady and other on the walls, dated bathroom,
toilet:shower (dated, all plastic), no bath;very small size, all items dated!
Facilities: sauna, steam room, jacuzzi-very small, we used steam room and sauna because jacuzzi did not work!!!needed to call reception 30min prior use to switch it on:)
The fitness suite-did not work either,
the mass and chaos we saw in the fitness room suite(which was all 3 in one: jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and fitness) remainings of the water left in a filthy jacuzzi were disgusting, there were chairs and random items in the part of the room called gym very stranage and chaotic nothing to do with the 4 star quality,The breakfast and service during breakfast was nice,very attentive waiter,.
Overall am dissapointed with the fitness mass, room and interior old, dated;overpriced,
if you going to Derry try City Hotel, Tower Hotel or Da Vinci,Best Western instead,
Never
again will stay there,
Book this place at your own risk!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Globtroterr
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Yes, exterior is under remodel but did not bother us. Hotel will be even more inviting once complete. Service good. Food fantastic, with the various homemade breads a highlight. Morning breakfast very good. I will be back, but the next time with my wife for a vacation! I stayed in room 56 which must be the best. At the top with two large dormer windows on two sides of the room looking out at the gorgeous grounds. Only improvement needed is screens on windows to prevent nats from coming in to the light.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business