“A Really Fantastic Experience!”

Beech Hill Country House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Derry
N.Ireland
“A Really Fantastic Experience!”
Reviewed September 3, 2008

I booked the Beech Hill for a two night stay for my wedding anniversary on the 18th and 19th of August.

A nice friendly welcome on arrival from the reception desk staff and they had put us in the master suite which was a real treat to say the least. My wife was surprised as was I to find one of the most luxurious rooms I have ever been in.

The room was large in size with a king size bed, flat screen TV, two bathrooms, a living room with its own large flat screen T.V and numerous large comfortable sofas to relax in.

Initial impression was a clean, fresh smelling and spotless room which was well maintained and tastefully decorated. The room was well equipped and included data ports, plenty of electric sockets and an ironing board and trouser press. Oh yes and an I-POD docking station, brilliant idea I thought. The high light for my wife was the large walk in dressing room which she really loved. I think if she could have fitted it into her suit case she would have.

The bathroom was gleaming and had a good selections of soaps, shampoos and lotions along with a sewing kit, shoe-shine kit and shower cap. It was nice to see that they have retained these things when so many of the large chains are pennypinching and no longer provide them.

Our friends from England joined us on the second night with their 8 month old daughter, they had a family room which had a ajoining room as well as a cot beside their bed, nice touch.

Before dinner we sat in the lounge area which had large comfortable armchairs and a lovely fire which made it very atmospheric.

We ate in the hotel's Restaurant on the second night. I had pate to start with and it had a really smooth texture and to accompany it was fresh breads which when asked where made on site, fantastic. All meals were prepared fresh to order and I found them to be one of the best meal experiences I’ve had. It seemed to be busy on both nights and many people sounded to be local which is always a good sign. Breakfast was served in the restaurant and again the service and quality of food was of a high standard.

Overall, the service was outstanding. The major chains should go to the Beech Hill to see good customer service in action. Too many times I find other major chains find it difficult in interacting with their customers and when they do it is limited to a few phrases learnt parrot-fashion which they repeat to every customer. It is refreshing to see that the staff have not gone down this route are all genuinely friendly and still treat their customers as GUESTS. They seem to go that extra mile to provide top class service and a superb place to stay.

My wife can’t wait until our next wedding anniversary so we can visit again. The best anniversary I have arranged, (got lots of brownie points). I can certainly recommend this hotel, keep up the good work.

• Liked — Luxury bedroom
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FionaE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We decided to stay here the night before my brother's wedding as it was so convenient to the church where the service was being held. We contacted the Hotel directly and were told that we would have to book a superior room to accommodate two adults and two children and would have to pay £20 each for the children to have breakfast - a bit steep when you are already paying extra for the room. The room (number 52) was large but in no way could it be classified as a superior room. The bathroom tiling was badly in need of updating with black mould everywhere, the windows were also covered in mould and looked out onto a backyard area which the hotel staff used for their smoke breaks - not very attractive for a family room. We had booked an early dinner as the hotel website advertised this, with sample 3 course menus, at an attractive rate, but when we arrived we were told that the there was a new team in the kitchen and the 'Early bird' dinner was no longer available - maybe they should consider updating their website and advising their reservations staff instead of dissappointing guests on arrival. We then booked a later dinner time and advised the staff that two further people would be joining us for dinner. When the restaurant staff were taking our order they said they could not accommodate us all at one table and our two guests (my brother and his best man) would have to sit at a table of their own! We objected to this and amazingly the table was made to accomodate 8 without any difficulty. I just think the staff couldn't be bothered re-arranging the furniture to suit our party. We had to ask for the wine we had ordered on at least 4 occasions before it arrived. Overall not a particularly pleasant experience. To top it off my 8 year old daughter burned her hand on the faulty toaster system at breakfast and was in pain the whole day of the wedding. Don't think we'll be back .......

• Liked — convenient location
  • Disliked — grotty bathroom
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank mickeyholiday
Blackrock
Reviewed August 25, 2008

I have just returned from a very pleasant stay at this lovely country house .I was a guest at a family wedding and I think the hotel was entirely booked out by wedding guests.
The wedding reception was excellent and almost 200 guests were looked after very well by charming and attentive staff in a marquee a short distance from the main house.
Our bedroom was well fitted with extremely comfortable beds and the bathroom was spotless.This was a standard room but it was spacious and well lit by two windows which overlooked a gorgeous garden.
Our breakfast was first rate.I had juice,lots of fresh fruit, soaked muesli(my favourite),croissants, followed by a cooked mix of mushrooms,bacon, and scrambled eggs.A pot of good quality coffee was replenished when I requested it.The dining room is a lovely sun-filled airy room - we were lucky with the weather !Complimentary newspapers were available for everybody.
I must add a special word of praise for wonderful Brenda who looked after the desk . My first contact with Brenda had been by email when she promptly answered all my queries.Later she gave me a very interesting history of this lovely house .She was smiling and patient with all of us and is an example of how front of house should be.
I look forward to a return visit to this oasis of tranquillity in the near future.

• Liked — Friendly staff and lovely situation.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Iris
Dublin
Reviewed August 5, 2008

We stayed in room 30 ( a superior room) at the Beech Hill Hotel. The room was fine although I would have considered this a standard room in any other hotel. The iron supplied was dirty, the shower in the very outdated bathroom was stuck on hot ( it was just too hot to be able to wash your hair) but worst of all was the noise. As the room is above and left of the entrance it was probably the noisiest room in the hotel. They have a smoking area actually at the entrance (people smoking and drinking at tables as you enter a hotel - is that a good thing?). At 3 am you would think the hotel staff would at least try and keep the noise down but I had to ring and ask them to do something about it. When we asked to speak to the manager the next morning there was none on duty at that time (9.15am). Very disappointed with this hotel - probably the worst re value for money I would have stayed in

• Liked — The area
  • Disliked — the ambience
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LexiDublin
Kent
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We stayed at Beech Hill on a Friday and Saturday in July - both nights the hotel was overrun by wedding parties, so we were not able to eat in the main restaurant and it was very difficult to get a seat in the bar. The room we did eat it was very crowded and, on the Friday evening, was mainly taken up by 2 other large parties. The ambience in that dining room was much better on the Saturday evening when most of the tables were occupied by parties of 2, 3 or 4.

We stayed in a very spacious Master Suite, with a separate sitting room, bathroom, dressing room and bathroom. It was very clean, well furnished and decorated but very poorly maintained (especially the bathroom).

• Liked — The spacious suite
  • Disliked — The poor maintenance in our suite
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank KentManKent
miami shores
Reviewed July 17, 2008

Excellent Hotel, well priced if you decide to stay 2 nights and get the midweek special including a fantastic dinner, with wine ( not included) at affordable prices.

• Liked — Location, food and restaurant service, room and peacefull and privacy
  • Disliked — service outside restaurant
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank josebtesh
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2008

we stayed for one night in june, had a lovely time-food excellent, room amazing, staff really lovely & friendly.

will return to stay longer-worth every penny

many thanks to all concerned.

• Liked — friendliness, food, accommodation
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank divera67