“Loved it again”

Beech Hill Country House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed March 31, 2008

I don't know what everyone's complaining about. Maybe it's just a bit hit and miss depending on how busy they are. But I stayed here for the third time over about 4 yearsand it was wonderful, even though I had booked a cheapo internet deal my room got upgraded to a superior room with a massive, extremely comfortable bed and a fireplace. I was expecting the restaurant to have gone a bit downhill after reading recent trip advisor reviews but the service was warm and friendly while still being professional. The food was outstanding and I had a huge portion of perfectly cooked flavoursome venison, I don't even remember seeing venison on the menu in another restaurant in Derry. Delicious apple crumble to follow. And yes, it was expensive, maybe if you're travelling on the American dollar it works out too pricey, but it was the best meal I've had out in a long time and for me it was well worth the money I paid. The house is gorgeous and I even enjoyed waiting for my taxi home sitting in the sun out the front with the birds chirping on one side and the stream gurgling on the other. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and I'll definitly be back.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank ShakkaKhan

Reviewed February 28, 2008

The hotel itself is OK, and grounds are lovely, but the restaurant is to be avoided at all costs. Food is grossly over-priced and over-rated was served luke-warm. Portions are tiny, and we had to ask three times for our drinks order to be taken. There are many other places in the Derry area where you can get much more, for much less cash.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank barryjohnsmith
Reviewed January 12, 2008

Yes its old & steeped in history, so they've made as much as they can of it. Yes the grounds are lovely, so long as you don't stray too far and yes, the proprieter will give you a warm, personal reception, until you dare to suggest something could be improved (as we were told she's "been doing it for 20 years you know", so don't assume as a paying guest your opinion counts)!

We spent two nights in The Beech Hill at an inflated rate (oh and don't assume that bookings made over the internet will be honoured!). We ate in the Ardmore restaraunt on the first night & although the food was very good, the service left a lot to be desired. Breakfast was a shambolic mess of luke-warm buffet style fayre surrounded by dirty tables. I could go on to describe the inadequacies of the rooms in detail but previous reviews have it mostly covered.

On checking out we had been over-charged on several items but of course only the owner/ manger / wedding co-ordinator / maitre'd / waitress / porter could deal with our complaint (see the Faulty Towers review!) or indeed operate the credit card machine. As opposed to a relaxing stay it was the most frustrating break I've had, but at least I was glad to return to normality!

The house is old & does have a lovely ambiance; I can see how the owner is so defensive & protective of it. Unfortunately in a modern-day competitive market with more travellers having experience of much better hotels (deserving of 4 stars) passion is not enough. I fear customer expectations will stay beyond the capabilities of the present management. A pity.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank finlaybob
Reviewed September 19, 2007

May be the best you can get in Derry, but really just a 3-star place. The hotel is showing its age and the rooms aren't that large. The furnishings look like they came from my grandparents storage unit. Small bathroom with limited amenities. The staff is friendly and the restaurant is a bargin (relatively speaking). No actual grounds to speak of and they seem to be solely focused on their wedding business. There is self-parking and didn't appear to have a porter to help with luggage. I don't want to give the impression this place is that bad. It was very comfortable and certainly a good place to stay. But compared to more 5-star places in Ireland, you'll notice a difference here.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bhencey
Reviewed August 26, 2007

The room was lovely and the surrounding grounds lovely. The receptionist was above average. The restaurant service was terrible at dinner and breakfast, but at dinner it was painfully bad. The food was average pub grub only and not what was expected of a hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank IrelandMrJ
Reviewed August 1, 2007

We decided to book a few days away with our two daughters this July. By default we booked into this hotel and were very very happy with everything about it. The staff were friendly, attentive and just couldn't do enough for us making our stay relaxing and wanting to return. The restaurant and choice of menu were superb. Throughly enjoyed the whole experience. We will be back !!

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank Sandra50
Reviewed June 30, 2007

Hotel beautiful, Room lovely and Food Fantastic!!

Could not have enjoyed our stay more, the staff were wonderful and incredibly attentive.

I can't wait until our next visit!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple