“Fantastic hotel with excellent staff”
Review of Everglades Hotel

Everglades Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed July 15, 2010

My partner and I have just had the most brilliant stay at the Hastings Everglades hotel . From the moment we arrived we were made to feel so welcome and every single member of staff genuinely looked so happy and it comes across with the customer service they provide, a special mention to the gentleman who was Concierge as his good humour with the aid of a top hat and camera genuinely made us smile. When I rang and booked the room directly with the hotel we were booked into an Executive room and when we arrived Leanne on reception upgraded us to a minisuite, thank you so much Leanne! The hotel restaurant is outstanding , the meal we had on the Saturday evening was delicious and again the service was outstanding as is the very relaxing bar area. This is our third visit and we intend to return shortly again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,333)

Reviewed July 14, 2010

Stayed here with my wife for out first anniversary and was really happy with the hotel and the food in the restaurant. Breakfast was nice and plentiful. The only problem was that the room was very hot, now I know the hotel is not in the middle of Spain but it was a very warm and uncomfortable night without air con. The bed was large and the water and fruit in the room was a nice touch. The duck from the bathroom will now become my permanent companion on my travels.

I would stay here again in winter.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Having read the mainly excellent reviews for this hotel I booked using the Hastings hotel chain's website. Their gourmet break promotion meant that the one night stay and 4 course meal for 2 was £100 which for 4 star hotel and food is pretty good value I think.

The hotel interior and the bedrooms are very presentable as I expected and when I arrived I was moderately impressed. The room was spacious quite plush with a nice bathroom. What stood out for me was the TV. Most hotel rooms will have one of course but this one was about the most impressive I've seen in a 4 star hotel - however the picture was pretty poor - due to a weak signal I think. Small point I know but it set the scene for the rest of the stay.

Going down for our Gourmet 4 course meal - I enjoyed a drink in the bar which has been decorated to look like a library/study. The food however is not all that good. I have to agree with a previous reviewer about the portion size and lack of flavour. I would overlook the portion size if it was exceptionaly tasy food but it was very hit and miss! This was disappointing for a gourmet break and aside form the convenience of being able to eat at the hotel I'm sure the city probably has much finer fare on offer and I regret not just getting the room and eating elsewhere.

The big thing I missed when first being impressed with the room was the lack of ventilation. There is no air con in the rooms. Waking up at 4.30am having cooked all night was not what I had hoped for. If you persevere you will find that the window opens a tiny crack but that the traffic noise will not allow you to get back to sleep and the tiny amount of air you get isn't enough anyway!

I was told at reception in the morning there were fans available and that I should have asked for one. I don't think this is good enough though!

It's no dump it is a very presentable hotel but my personal experience was not a positive one unfortunately.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
EvergladesManager, Manager at Everglades Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2010

Dear Owskie

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.
I am dissapointed that you were unhappy with the quality of the restaurant meal. We regularly receive very postive comments relating to our dining room, and I am dissapointed that on this occassion if we were unable to live up to our high standards. I will certainly pass on your comments to our Head Chef, and I thank you for your honest feedback.
In relation to not having air conditioning, I can only apologise if you felt our rooms to be overly warm. Due to the unusual humid weather we have been experiencing, the hotel has been warmer than usual, however we do provide fans for guests use, should they make us aware of their need.
I am pleased that you found the hotel pleasing on the eye and very presentable.
Once again, thank you for your feedback
Kindest Regards
Stephen Meldrum

Reviewed June 24, 2010

Vastly over priced-a very disappointing stay in many ways. Food portions were stingy and devoid of flavour. Staff seemed very over worked. Sadly, would not recommend.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

Dear divera67,

Thank you for your comments. I apologise if you were dissapointed with the portion size of your meal and felt the food was devoid of flavour.
We use the finest in local produce and are regularly commended on the quality of the food. I will certainly monitor this area over the coming months.
Kindest Regards
Stephen Meldrum

Reviewed May 17, 2010

I stayed again in the Everglades - a business trip. As ever, the Everglades provided comfort, cleanliness, great food and excellent service. Barbara (restaurant) and Leanne (reception) really looked after me and made me feel less lonely.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2010

We were made to feel welcome the minute we stepped into the Everglades.Check in was quick and hassle free and the staff couldnt do enough for us from the word go.Our room was clean and cosy and even when we reported that the cd player was not working it was replaced straight away.The hotels location is brilliant for a quick drive into Derry city for abit of shopping and other entertainment.We had food from the bar menu and it was of a high standard and catered well for my young son.It was lovely to sit by the open fire at the end of the day and relax with a drink and again the staff were only to happy to see to our every need.The breakfast was very relaxed and there was plenty of variety to pick from.Overall I would say the Everglades is a lovely hotel with excellent staff and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I stayed in this hotel last week with 5 friends for my birthday and I have to say I couldnt have asked for better. From the moment we arrived we were greeted by not only a very friendly receptionist but also the Duty Manager, which was a nice touch. Check in went smoothly and we were reminded of our dinner reservation which we had made when we made the hotel reservation.

The room was a superior double and it was great, I would have no complaints. The hotel was able to place my friends in rooms beside me which also was a nice touch. Dinner was my birthday treat from my friends and it was such a treat! I had the deep fried Brie and then the sirlion which was cooked to perfection. For dessert I had the chocolate and lime meringues which were delicious all of my party agreed that the food was excellent and i would definately recommend it.

All in all I could not have asked for more, the hotel was lovely and the service was second to none. All the staff I met were friendly, nice quite location but not far from city centre will we be back............yes for sure

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family