“No You Can't Have A Glass Of Water!”
Review of Everglades Hotel

Everglades Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Derry
Derry, United Kingdom
“No You Can't Have A Glass Of Water!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and me attended the LMS 50th Anniversary Dinner and Dance in the Everglades Hotel on Saturday 15th October 2012. On entering the reception area we were greeted by waiters asking if we would like a glass of champagne. I asked if my wife and me could have a soft drink as we did not drink alcohol. We were told.....no it was champagne or nothing.....so I asked for a manager. This managerial person came and said that it was a champagne reception only, to which I replied.....you must surely have a soft drink available for non-alcohol drinkers. He said....no! I said....I want some sort of soft drink now please....to which he replied.....apple juice? I said....that would be fine....and he went and fetched some bottles of apple juice and poured some into 2 champagne goblets for my wife and me.
About 20 minutes later we were called into the main ballroom for the meal and as we were passing from the reception area to the ballroom, I noticed about 20 carafes of iced water sitting on the bar bench. When we sat down at our table a waiter approached and asked if we would like red or white wine. We said no thank you but could you bring us some water please. The waiter said they don't serve the water until they start serving the meal!!! I said my wife and me and a few other non-drinkers at our table would like a glass of water now but the waiter persisted saying she could not serve water until the meal was being served. There was a manager standing at the main ballroom entrance so I approached him and asked could we have a carafe of water for our table now please and he said it was hotel policy that water was not served until they started serving the meal. At this point I was beginning to lose the will to live and raising my voice slightly said I would like some water and want it now!!! He said that if I raised my voice to him again he would have me removed from the premises. I said it would take a bigger man than him to remove me from anywhere and then I went back out through the main door into the bar area with the intention of lifting one of the water carafes for our table when I noticed the manager who had served me the apple juice standing with another manager at the end of the bar. I approached him and asked him could I take a carafe of water to our dinner table. He said no that they would serve the water when the meal was being served. I really raised my voice now and said very politely and distinctly can we please have some water at our table NOW. He didn't answer me so I said....do you want me to buy your tap water? He then took one of the carafes of water and gestured me back to my table where he followed me in and filling 4 glasses with iced water, promptly turned on his heel carrying the half empty carafe of water and back out through the ballroom doors.
About 5-8 minutes later we received our caesar salad - basic, then leek and potato soup - too salty, then our main course of a daube of beef with mash and season vegetables - the potatoes were tastless, the beef that overcooked we found it very difficult to cut, followed by a trio of sweets, one profiterole - 1 inch in diameter, one piece of lemon meringue - one inch cubed, one piece of mint chocolate - about one inch cubed and some fresh cream with a small chocolate stick on top!!!!! Our tickets cost us 40 pounds per person......complete rip-off. Through the whole meal....not one waiter approached our table with more water.....pathetic.
I attended a function in the Everglades about 15 years ago and swore then I would not be back as it was so poor. I have vowed now never to return to this hotel again as their customer care has not got any better......in my eyes worse!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank BigJim1888
EvergladesManager, General Manager at Everglades Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Big Jim,

i am always happy to hear constructive feedback from our guests. please contact me directly at the Hotel on 02871321066 or on genmanager@egh.hastingshotels.com and i would be delighted to discuss your issues in person. im sure we can resolve these issues for you. i offer my apologies if you felt your experience was not a positive one. many of the guests attending enjoyed the night and feedback from them has been very positive indeed.

kind regards

Stephen Redden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Londonderry
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed one night with my partner. We were there for a special function--formal dress etc. The room was ok--very comfortable bed, all the usual things you would expect in a top hotel, dressing gowns (no ties though!). But nearly £100 for one night--prices were obviously put up because of the special occasion. My partner spent ages trying to get the CD player to work and eventually gave up---I know, we should have complained!! Also the TV channels are very limited--no Sky!--I had hoped to see a little of the Heiniken Cup!
The meal at the function was disappointing--a long time between courses--the main course was Northern Irish beef-overcooked, tough, and poorly presented.Service was very slow and 2 half glasses of wine throughout the meal was very miserly.
But that was the downside-The hotel could have done better particularly at £40 a head.
The upside, and most importantly-the atmosphere was wonderful caused by the wonderful people there--the slideshow, the photographs, the reunions!
Would I stay at Everglades again?--no, I don't think so. The room needed updating--it was shabby, paintwork and tiles in the bathroom needed attention. And I don't like being overcharged for a room when it is for a special function. Also, to have to be out of your room at 11.am is not on, especially on a Sunday morning when breakfast is served till 10.30am!

Room Tip: We had what was described as an executive double room--I have to question that!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Charlotte_W_12388
Dear Charlotte,

thankyou for giving me the chance to address you issues. the menu, the menu price and the amount of wine were dictated by the organisers of the event. we always seek to offer the highest of service and quality with our events. im sorry you felt ths was not the case during your event. we look to use only the finest in local ingredients and offer the best quality product we can.

our bedroom rates are in line with other 4 star properties, i will ensure the CD player in the room is fixed or replaced as necessary. again i offer my sincere apologies that you felt your experience was not a positive one

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for a one night business stay. I was in an executive room on the third floor which came with some nice touches such as free fudge and water. The bedroom and bathroom were clean and spacious, however, some evidence of a bit of wear and tear such as riped wallpaper, a hole in the wall where the door was hitting but nothing major. One disappopintment was no mini bar in the room which is poor when you charge £5 tray charge for room service.

I ate in the hotel and the food was pleasant, good value and the staff very friendly. The only disappointment again was the fact that it was Murphys rather than Guiness on tap. The breakfast the following day was superb, freshly cooked and plentiful.

The reception were fast and efficient and coped with all my requests for different receipts printed in different ways.

All in all a good stay but need to get Guiness, fix the minor faults in the room before they start to detract and get a mini bar in the room or scrap the tray charge.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Neil M
Dear Valued Guest,

Thankyou for your kind words. i will pass your comments on to the team, they are always delighted to hear of such positive experiences.

we look forward to welcomeing you back to the hotel.

kind Regards

Lockport, Illinois, United States
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Of the 6 hotels we stayed at in Ireland, this was by far the worse. Reminded me of a Holiday Inn. Not close to town so had to cab it if wanted to go anywhere. Room was clean, but very dated. As part of a tour package, so included dinner & breakfast. The dinner was simply average & the service was ATROCIOUS. Asked 3 times for ice before I got it & was served with a scowl. In the morning when asked for a cup of coffee to go out side with to have a cigarette ( a non smokong hotel) the waitress was rude & asked if I had a problem. She made me sit down at a table before she'd give me a cup. If I return to this area, would absolutely NOT stay here. They did have a nice singer in their lounge at night, that was about the only positive I have to say.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Frank M
R'lyeh
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Was back at the Everglades for a conference recently. Had not been there in about 4 years. Wow, its gone downhill. Rooms are still just about ok (a shame about the couple next door keeping me 'entertained' until 3 a.m.), but the food is overpriced and poor quality. Four years ago the breakfast was decent, now its a joke, especially since it costs you £15.
The facilties we had for our conference where poor. Wifi not included for a conference? What century do these people live in? Had to fork out £10 a day for (poor quality) wifi, shocking. Our meeting room was a dungeon with no natural light, no one had bothered to arrange tables suitably for a conference, we were left to do that ourselves.
In all pretty poor. I would avoid this place for conferences etc. Would only use for a night if nothing else was available, and don't bother with breakfast. Any petrol station will sell you something of equal quality for 10% of the price of breakfast here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed at this hotel after being recommended it by a friend who stayed here previously, I have to say its a nice enough hotel although location can be a bit noisy with traffic etc but i suppose that can not be helped, The staff were friendly enough although i found some a bit distant when i enquired about attractions etc to visit in the area, The food was average, breakfast wasn't great though edible, we thought Derry was lovely and the people were very friendly, overall a nice experience and a few tweeks could bring this back to a great hotel to visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank phil w
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Having recently spent a night in this hotels resturant i must say what an awful experience we had. We came as a party of over 20, In between are meal we had ordered a round of drinks, the food arrived which i must say was very bland, burnt carrots and potatoes (although the manager did say they were roasted not burnt), the drinks took over 40 mins to arrive and some of are party didnt recieve there drinks. When one of are party approached the manager his level of customer service shone through. He was rude arrogant and stated that he was under pressure as a wedding was taking place on this night. Seriously when a so called 4* hotel cant handle the pressure of serving up a decent meal with drinks delivered in a reasonable time frame whilst attending to the wedding party, to me thats bad time management or organisation. To be honest the food, the service and the staff left a bad impression on all are party and it will be definately not a place we return, bearing in mind the bill amount we were made to feel that are service and money was not welcome. Not even worth a star rating.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends