“Good, solid hotel.”
Review of Everglades Hotel

Everglades Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We stayed at The Everglades Hotel (one of the Hastings chain of hotels) in April, apparently a 4 star, but I’m not sure how this rating is awarded – while the staff are excellent, and the public areas are schmick and even a little plush, the rooms need some attention to raise the standard. While our room was an executive room, it was crowded with furniture, it didn’t have a bar fridge (although, that may be a UK thing?) and there were no privacy curtains – only the heavy drapes, which meant that the houses opposite the car park could see right into the room in unless the drapes were closed. The shower head only had one setting for pressure - which was full on, and sometimes actually painful. The room was always cleaned well, though.

Am also not impressed that all of the Hastings hotels don’t have free wifi – subscribing to BT Open Zone for internet access (at £6 an hour) is inconvenient, archaic and sometimes quite unreliable. Tedious, really. I thought it might be a UK thing, but apparently there are other hotels that offer the complimentary access. Actually, even your 3 star B&B offers free wifi! This really is something that they need to address.

The location out of the town (had to drive in) wasn't really a problem - it meant that we were away from the loud night noise, and parking was cheap when we did go in.

But the staff and public areas of the hotel were very good, so I can see how it has remained so high on the list of Derry hotels for so long.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
EvergladesManager, General Manager at Everglades Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

Dear Bontaks,

thankyou for your feedback, i am delighted to here the staff looked after you so well. the Hotel only recently recieved its annual award of 4 stars, from the tourist board and remains the standard required to achieve this. Free wifi & bar fridges are not requirements of a 4 star standard. i am disappointed to here the service was unreliable and i will investigate this with the providers.
all of our bedrooms are fitted with net curtains and standard curtains for your convenience. if you would please contact me direct i would like to make sure this is the case for the room you stayed in, and also revisit the layout of the room and see if it can be improved.

many thanks

Stephen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,308)

Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

Recently I have stayed at this hotel while visiting my chiropodist and pediatrist, and I have to commend the staff on their excellent manners with both a friendly and helpful approach.

The rooms are beautiful and comfortable and catered to my every want. The decor of the whole place left nothing to be desired. Needless to say, nothing short of excellence.

May I add, the restaurant staff, bar attendants and housekeeping were all in top notch. The girl who served us at dinner and again at breakfast- Mary, was the epitome of professionalism and friendly, and was without fault while continuously attending to my needs. To mention another helpful few by name, I had found Barbara and Finnian also to have excellent customer service and great confidence in the service they provided.

I would most certainly recommend that anyone who was looking for a relaxing experience.

• Stayed: April 2012

Dear Michael,

it was a pleasure to welcome you and your colleagues to the city, i glad to hear the staff gave you such a positive experience during your stay. thankyou for your feedback. we look forward to welcoming you back in the future, hopefully during 2013 when we will be the UK's first city of culture

kind regards

Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very clean nice staff and the service was great as well. The food was excellent had a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Stormmcc
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stayed here 13-15 April and were not disappointed the hotel is lovely and we got a great deal.

The room was spotless with a gd sized tv, hifi and iPod docking station and the slippers and dressing gowns made our stay feel homely. The huge comfy bed made sure we had a good nights sleep.

We had a meal included in our deal and it was so good we decided to eat in the hotel the next night ( they do a great deal for couples 2 courses and a bottle of wine for £35). All the waiters could not have done enough for us and the grill has a great chilled atmosphere.( we even got glasses of champagne because it was my birthday).

The breakfast was all that you could want and more ( whiskey for your porridge) and the hotel gets all its food from local suppliers which is evident in the taste.

If your looking for a relaxing chilled atmosphere with comfy beds and comforting food visit the Everglades, we will certainly be returning.

The only thing missing was a spa and pool.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Sara1223

Hi sara,

thankyou for you kind comments, all the staff here take great pride when they read and hear reviews from our guests, about the great experience theyve had. we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel

Kind Regards

Reviewed April 15, 2012

We were looking for a hotel to stay in for a midweek break to treat our best friends for their wedding anniversary and are glad we chose The Everglades - we had a thoroughly enjoyable time. The rooms were spotless, the beds huge and comfortable, and the bar and restaurant were excellent. Food in the restaurant was great, our dinners were superb, though if I wanted to be picky, I would would say that the nearby Raddisson Roe Hotel in Limavady just has the edge on their breakfast offering. The hotel is located just a 20 minute walk along the bank of the River Foyle from the city centre with all its attractions (or a 5 minute taxi ride will get you there). What made our stay so enjoyable, however, was the staff at The Everglades. Nothing was too much trouble and we were offered friendly advice on what to do and see while we were there. It's a nice touch when your barman or waitress takes a moment or two for a friendly chat rather than to simply serve you your order. One hotel is much the same as another when it comes to the rooms and facilities. What makes the difference here is the exceptional staff - they are a credit to the hotel (if only all hotels were like this?). We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This hotel is on par with one of the best i had ever stayed in. From the comfort of the bedroom to the tranquil settings in the lounge. The staff and service were excellent, friendly and make you feel very relaxed. Nothing was too much trouble. We found this hotel on late rooms at exceptional value. We stayed in the hotel for 2 days and could have stayed longer, but will return. The food was top quality and the 5 course sunday lunch was out of this world. Compliments to the chefs.

Room Tip: The superior rooms not on the road side.