“Lovely Location”

Ranked #1 of 22 Specialty Lodging in Derry
Moira, United Kingdom
“Lovely Location”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Thought we'd try glamping as we'd never done it before and saw it on a deal. The cocoon was adequate - raised seating / sleeping area, light, sockets and heater. As it was really warm we didnt need the heater. I think we all expected it to be a bit more "glamorous". It pretty much is camping (all be it in a cocoon) in a field. I did enjoy the experience but it really is only 1 step up from camping. I would prefer a mobile or caravan. Having said that, I'm glad that I tried it.

The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Conor was there the whole time and nothing was too much trouble for him. He certainly earned his money with all the different groups of people who were there over the 2 nights. Chada did the activities with us on the Saturday - archery, team challenging and orienteering - and he was great craic and made the experience very enjoyable. The activities were a great choice for the whole family to do. The other activities looked great too but probably only the kids would have partaken in them as you would need to be a bit of a dare devil!

The area is absolutely beautiful. We spent time in Roe Valley Country Park, Binevenagh, Magilligan Point, Mussenden & Downhill Demense. All really beautiful and well worth visiting. I would definitely visit this part of the country again rather than always visiting Portrush / Portstewart / Giants Causeway while at the north coast.

I would definitely return to Carrowmena - maybe not necessarily to stay - I think the kids would enjoy the other activities. I think the hostel looks good for groups. It was allways warm and there was always tons of hot water for washing.

All in all a good spot. Worth the money (though we did get a deal). Good to do with family.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank OJK1963

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Didn't matter about the weather, activities were run with a cheery disposition by Stevie and Stephen. We did archery, climbing wall and zipline, some of it in the rain, and enjoyed every minute!!

The glamping cocoons were great - overall ... great facilities, lovely staff, great craic.
Highly recommended :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank debsiev
Kilkeel
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I'd just like to say first of all that if you are travelling with kids, the activities for them are excellent and all the staff (with the exception of the owner) are very welcoming and friendly.

I brought a group of young people here a couple of weeks ago. The Hostel is based in an old school building and when we arrived, my initial feelings were just how cold it was inside the building. There was a smell of damp and the corridors are very dark. I was convinced it was the beginning of a horror film. My room was freezing, there was no key to lock the bedroom door from the outside when I was away. As I didn't know any of the group I had brought here (I was just the coach driver), I wasn't too happy leaving personal belongings in an unlocked room. I had to go and ask for sheets and a duvet cover. The fitted sheet was far too small and so didn't fit. Also, I could hear every single footstep and voice from upstairs. Shared showers were absolutely disgusting. Bathroom not much better. Food at the hostel was basic but done the job to be honest. Again, staff very friendly and great craic. By the time it got dark, it was now unbearably cold. Finally, after several hours of us being there, the owner decided to switch the heat on (for a couple of hours). The following morning, the showers were freezing cold. Apparently, the owner had forgotten to set the timer correctly. Indeed! Didn't have breakfast so can't comment on it.

Throughout the stay, the staff were just excellent! They make the stay enjoyable for the young people and as I've said, the activities for them are very good. On checking out, the staff commented on how quiet and how well behaved the young people on this trip had been and how clean and tidy they had left the hostel. I'm the coach driver and didn't know any of the group, but even so, I had also noticed that the entire groups behaviour and manner throughout the whole trip was excellent. Therefore, I was shocked when the owner (this being her first appearance) came running over to the coach as we were leaving and said in a rude, aggressive tone that she'd be billing the organiser for a broken window. Upon inspection by the organiser, it was confirmed that the handle to open one of the windows had indeed broken, however, it looked fairly clear that it had been broken for some time. It would cost approximately £3 to fix yourself. It was fairly clear that this was a desperate attempt to pin the blame on this group for another groups carelessness (or even lack of preventative maintenance on the building). The owner then just said to look out for the bill in the post. The group (with the exception of myself) did seem to enjoy their few days here, however the manner and aggressive attitude of the owner at the end of the stay did leave them disappointed and annoyed.

At the end of the day, it is budget accommodation and if you're happy with budget accommodation and are travelling with kids/young people, then the activities on offer and the excellent staff will make the stay enjoyable. Also, the Glamping huts do look impressive. It is worth a 4/5 rating for this. However, watch out for the owner, because her attitude, manner and way that she talks down to her customers will leave you with a sour taste in your mouth when you leave. That's why I can only rate it 2/5.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Neal C
Portstewart, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I rang to enquire about a booking at the centre and recieved absolutely shocking customer service from a lady over the phone who could not have got off the phone quick enough, she was very abrupt and rude, and i am deeply disappointed as a paying customer to be spoken down to and now I would think twice before booking anything there if that is the quality of the service of all members of staff!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
9 Thank Chloe M
Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed here with a group of children (28 of them aged 9-11!!!) and loved it. We all had a great time and got to experience things we've never done before. The hostel is an old school which has been converted and it is really cosy, comfortable and clean. The staff are fantastic, so friendly, warm and welcoming and interact well with both adults and children. I will definitely be back with another group.

Room Tip: You can't choose a quite room because you can't choose quite residents (children you take wi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank explorerNI
Ballycastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had a brilliant time, can't say enough about how great the staff were. The girls who signed us in and looked after the site were really friendly and came across really professional. A big thumbs up to Marty who looked after us for the canoeing , rock wall climbing and zip line, he made it so much fun that our 4 year old went down the zip line no problem at all. We all had a great time and was very impressed with the glamping hut and the amenitys available to the campers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jason R
Dundalk
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed in one of the wooden cocoons on friday night, Glamping.
We really enjoyed it. We did activities on saturday with another family in the other cocoon and it was great fun. Instructor Steve was very nice and patient !
We would come again, although probably when the weather is a bit warmer.
Lovely location and great view of the mountains, but you do need warmer weather to sit out and enjoy them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family