“Excellent food and great customer service!”
Review of Waterfoot Hotel

Waterfoot Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have to say I had a fantastic stay at the Waterfoot Hotel in Derry, after a long day at work and a late check in I had an evening meal in the winebar and found the staff to be very knowledgeable and helpful, I was welcomed right away and the team could not have done enough for me! The food was outstanding, it could not be faulted and breakfast the next morning was terrific, again the staff were very friendly and attended to my every need. I will certainly be back and would be happy to recommend this hotel to anyone. Thank you for a wonderful stay and well done to the exceptional staff!

• Stayed: June 2013
Andrew L, Manager at Waterfoot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2015

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed Waterfoot Hotel overnight recently.The service was good,the service persons polite and efficient on that very busy evening.
The food was good by and large however an issue arose regarding the Caesar Salad which was neither good nor original,a few lettuce leaves,shavings of shallots,croutons and dressing.
The attitude of the chef that evening was take it or leave it.Caesar Cardini would have been horrified his creation was so ill used.
Overall stay was pleasant and suied my needs.Their biggest asset the young personable staff .

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Visited today for Sunday lunch I have to say I will never be back. The service was atrocious. Drink order never arrived, tables chairs being lifted whilst eating, empty plates not lifted from table. Not one of the service staff asked was everything ok. The atmosphere was so bad we asked could our food to be wrapped as we were going to have it at home, we were told no. We had to argue to ensure we could get it wrapped. Went up for dessert only to find the plates had all been lifted. In a time when money is hard earned the level of service I received will ensure I will never spend it in the waterfoot hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Tonysheehan
Leon R, Manager at Waterfoot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you for your review and please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you suffered as a result of the issues you experienced with our Sunday carvery.
I certainly don’t want to find excuses for certain areas that should have been operating more smoothly. Please rest assured that this is not a common occurrence and I have personally addressed these issues and your comments with the relevant supervisors who will in turn provide further training to ensure no similar re occurrence happens in the future.
I do hope you have the opportunity to come back and try the hotel on another occasion.

Yours faithfully

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed after a wedding, weather was awful. Most disappointed to find there was no direct access from function room to main hotel. We had to make our way in pouring rain to check in-only to find we had to go down 2 flights of stairs to get to our room as there were no lifts. If you were a disabled guest you would not have been able to get to your room.
On the plus side, the meal at reception was first class.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed here for one night in June 2013 while on a business trip. My expectations weren't that high given the price but I was still disappointed.

Initially I was impressed when I was given access to my room at 11am, despite check-in being after 2pm. I was on a ground floor room and when I went to open my window I found there was no security on the window. While it was a relatively small window that opened, it was still large enough for someone to crawl through and had no security or retainer on it to help prevent someone from doing so.

During a shower while I was getting ready to rush out to another meeting I realised there was no gel in the dispenser. I had to get out of the shower and call reception to ask them to send some up. I explained that I had been in the middle of a shower and was waiting to retrun.They called back 2mins later to explain the manager was busy in the restaurant and he'd drop some up whenever he was free again. My room was 20m from reception.

Later that night I and some colleagues ordered a drink from the residents bar. It took over 5mins for the night poter to bring two drinks. I had to go searching for him.

Otherwise the hotel was fine and will suit a limited budget for a night stay.

Room Tip: For better security, choose a room above the ground floor and check your soap dispensers once you ar...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed June 18, 2013

My colleague and I stayed on a Wednesday night after a long day of work and travelling after another local hotel we would normally stay in was fully booked.
As previously stated by others the rooms are dated with a thick coat of paint covering old furniture to try to get them to look better. The bed sheets where like hospital sheets, rough and scratchy. And the TVs are just rubbish.

But the worst thing is the "Functions" the Waterfoot runs throughout the week. As you can read from the previous reviews from the many brides having their weddings at the Waterfoot it must be a good place for a wedding. Unfortunately for all the other guests not attending the wedding it means VERY load music till 1:30am at the very least, and staff that really don’t care if you slept well or not as long as you pay up.

As there was no air-con in my room I would of liked to have been able to open the window but due to the half the rooms, mine included, surround and over loo the function room and they had all their windows and doors open even with the window closed I could hear every word of every song. It was so clear and loud it was like I was trying to sleep next to the DJ.......I waited as long as I could as in the end this was someone special day and I did not want to be the party pooper but by 1 am I had had enough knowing I had to be up early. I had to ring reception and suggest that it might be time to end the music which then eventually ended at 1:30am.

The next morning having to get up early for work feeling somewhat tired we tried to complain to the woman on reception. We got blank smiles, "I am very sorry for that" & "Did you get your reservation confirmation? It does have a warning on that". Then after taking a couple of minutes to try to find the small print at the bottom of the page long confirmation it say there might be "functions" .There is a wide range of types of functions, not all of them will have very load music under your window till 1:30am.

The problem I have is with the basic uncaring attitude towards to other guests. I do not blame the wedding guests at all in any way as it’s a wedding. But if the hotel wants to make more profit by running weddings during the week when the majority of people staying would be business travellers it is the hotel that has the responsibility to ensure ALL guests are happy. The function room doors and windows could be kept closed to reduce noise. Music could be stopped at Midnight or only slower quieter songs after midnight. There a million and one ways the hotel could try harder if they wished.

But as proven by the woman on reception the next morning who gave us a blank smile, a false apology and basically said "If you could just place your Credit Card here to pay" while we complained the Waterfoot just does not really care as long as they get your money. I wish now I was not as tired & unfocused as I would have demanded a refund more directly as there should be a cost to the Hotel to cause such a situation. But the receptionist did do the hotel proud in that any suggestion of a refund was either ignored or smiled at.

If you’re on business or just want to sleep DO NOT stay here midweek. It is not worth it! You could not pay me to stay there again mainly due to how angry I am at the completely fake and really uncaring attitude we were met with on check-out. Our company will not be sending any more staff here ever again! There are many other hotels locally which offer rooms at the same rates as the Waterfoot with cleaner more modern rooms and much, much friendlier staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank stav15

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Sent here by sister Hotel Da Vincis as they were full. Reception area is quite modern and although not my taste some effort has been made in this area. The rooms are dated, the decor poor and the facilities below standard and the TV was terrible - old and bad reception. Restraunt food was average but good enough, however the service was below par. Will not return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business