“Great find”
Review of La Sosta

La Sosta
Ranked #18 of 202 Restaurants in Derry
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Had been recommend this restaurant by friends but living 75 miles away our first opportunity was this week and we were NOT dissapointed. Made to feel welcome once we walked in the door not rushed everything flowed at a nice pace our starter which we shared was beautifully presented and tasteful the mains in our opinion were better than some we sampled in Italy having been there several times also lovely bottle wine at a reasonable price.
Overall if you get a chance please give La Sosta a visit pity it's so far from where we live.

1  Thank BMJK

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I live in derry about 20mins away from this beautiful wee Italian restaurant, i never heard of it before why? if you walked passed it you would miss it and you don't want to not after the experience me and my husband had the other night. We booked the restaurant and when we got of the taxi wee walked through this wee lane and i thought we were in the wrong place lol, but we walked through the door and wee were greeted straight away and we even got to choose were we sat and a beautiful view we had of the river foyle and part of the city. they took our orders when we were ready not like other places rush you in the door and back out again, not this wee place they make you feel so welcome and so chilled out you don't wanna lave the place, the food wee got was faultless the wine just complamented every bite and i normaly drink water with my meals not this time haha, as we were leaving i told the man who owned La Sosta that he would have regulars he was so delighted and i also said to him and i will say it to who ever reads this to sum up La Sosta for me if they serve Italian food in Derry as beautiful as this then i would love to go to italy thats how good my meal was i can't wait to go for my next meal. Well done La Sosta keep up the great food. x

1  Thank annemariem74
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We ate here during the Sea Food Festival. This has to be one of the best quality restaurants in Londonderry/Derry.

The food was beautifully cooked and substantial. The menu was quirky and interesting. Service was very good and wine was just right. Owner is so slick regarding the service he provides – it is just right.

I took my very sceptical aunt and uncle, who told me they enjoyed the food and wine. The price of the food was proportionate to the very high quality of the food served.

I recommend this restaurant to all locals and visitors to the lovely Legenderry.

1  Thank MrsFitzy
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Went here for a special dinner to celebrate a family event. This restaurant restored my faith about eating in Derry. Easily the best food I've ever eaten in the city and service that knows the food is so good that they don't interrupt you every ten minutes to check if you're okay. I would recommend this restaurant to anybody who wants a special night in Derry with great food and exquisite wines.

2  Thank Steven N
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Any restaurant which has a public presence that obviously doesn't give a damn about attracting passing trade has to be worth further examination. La Sosta is only advertised on the street by a small peeling sign, you need to venture down an unappealing alley to confirm that the place is still open for business.

Once across the threshold, it was like stepping back 20 years - and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Restaurant layout is simple, classic, crisp white linen - nothing like the slick interior design if other leading eateries in town. Waiting staff in long white aprons are a clear indication of target market.

Bear in mind that there are no tempting menu deals on offer so the bill can quickly mount up. I was tempted by the interesting rabbit dish posted on front door menu but that wasn't an option on the night, went instead for lamb with broad beans and a cannelloni as main courses. Good veg selection came with lamb, cannelloni a litte dry. No surprises, perfectly pleasant.

Good selection of Italian wines but not excluding other options, Veronese red top value and half bottle of frascati good choice too. Very few surprises on dessert menu, apple and walnut tart with cinnamon ice cream tempting but chose to split a single serving of cheese, four varieties well presented.

Felt at times like the youngest person in the room, lots of obvious repeat custom, this is a safe dining experience for people who want a quality meal without surprises and I enjoyed it but would probably seek out something a little more unusual rather than make this a regular haunt.

1  Thank John F