“A true gem”
Review of Rowallane Garden

Rowallane Garden
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I live in Saintfield so the garden is a regular walking destination for me. It's wonderful in any season and has parkland, lots of walking routes, a walled garden and a rock garden as well as a house and farmyard. There's an exhibition, a giftshop, a secondhand bookshop (with honesty box) and a potter's workshop as well as a cafe with an outdoor seating area. This is one of the finest gardens in Ireland and is maintained beautifully by the National Trust.

1  Thank Brian W

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I loved everything. The place, the staff, the food. Would thoroughly recommend it to everyone. A taste of history, pleasantness and a lovely lunch thrown in. As well as this you can walk it off afterwards in the most beautiful place ever.

Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

As a gardener I was rather pleased to visit the gardens of Rowallen but on arrival into the first sections my hopes where lost to poor management to the gardens. Weeds and poorly kept specimens of plants where the only sight in the gardens. Upon wandering around the site I became lost due to lack of signs for direction. After an hour or two I managed to find the rock garden which was barely a rock garden. I would advise more varieties of plants and proper maintenance of the gardens.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Visited the gardens today first time in about 10 yrs really enjoyed it lovely gardens very relaxing well worth a visit. The day was enhanced by the local actors playing out four separate short plays in different parts of the garden added greatly to the day, if correct the guide told us the stories were written by lawyers considering most talk drivel & charge you a fortune for advice it was really surprising as the little plays were Very good Don't know if national trust have done this before but great idea

2  Thank Raymond M
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I live close to Mount Stewart and visit frequently, also Castle Ward - both magnificent houses and gardens. This was my first visit to Rowallane garden and loved the gentle planting with colours and textures which just all melded together in harmony in the walled garden, the herb gardens with salad leaves, herbs, runnier beans.
The whole garden was just so alive with butterflies and bees, so good to see in the current worry about their survival in our precarious climate. I came away with a lovely perennial plant and many ideas to transplant to my own garden!