“A good climb for amazing views”
Review of Slieve Donard

Ranked #4 of 27 things to do in Newcastle
Belfast, United Kingdom
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“A good climb for amazing views”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

It is a good climb but doable in about five hours all round. It is a popular climb, especially in good weather. Proper footwear advised. The track is clear and the Mourne Wall is a welcomed advantage in windy weather.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Bob241205

Belfast
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Weekend Gourmet Break”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Spend weekend here for a gourmet weekend.

Have to say all the staff were so friendly and could not do enough for you. Our room was maybe slightly dated (number 400) however the pool area etc certainly made up for that. We made the most of a lazy weekend enjoying chilling in this area.

Have to admit food in the Oak Restaurant was disappointing. On both mornings we found the hot food not to be warm. Poached eggs were gorgeous but do not know how the soda bread was cooked - terrible. My partner had full english both mornings and said that on day one the tomatoe was the warmest thing on the plate and on the second morning even the beans were cold!! Maybe they need to look at how they keep the food warm as I appreciate they have many guests and taking hot food orders is probably not an option.

We had one meal in the restaurant as part of our package. Starters were lovely - Duck spring Rolls and King Prawns with scallops both very tasty.

Both had the ribeye for main but this was very disappointing. It was served with a pink and peppercorn sauce but it was such an overpowering taste I could not finish my meal. What surprised me more was when I offered my partner the rest of my steak he turned me down and shock horror he left some of his as well. This really speaks volumes as when he has steak the plate is always cleaned as it was the night before in a local italian. We both opted for icecream for pudding to cleanse our mouth a bit. Overall the meal was disappointing despite the service being excellent. Maybe I was expecting too much with it being 'The Slieve Donard Hotel'.

Had a snack in the afternoon in the Lighthouse Lounge - scones and sandwiches which were lovely and the staff again in here were lovely.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank JacksBelfast
Donaghadee, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“One amazing hotel in a fantastic setting.”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

As my title states it is one fantastic experience to stay here, the entrance and building where outstanding and the spa was fabulous, our room was very nice indeed and of a high standard and the bed was one of the best I have slept on. I will admit it is a high price to pay but for the experience it was worth it in my opinion. It has friendly staff and great service I felt and all around a gem in county down.

Visited October 2012
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Great walking/golfing location”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Having stayed at the Slieve Donard in 2011, i would say that the location is excellent for both hiking and golfing. Situated in a beautiful location with both stunning sea and mountain views, the hotel itself done justice to it's surroundings, with very high standards of service and accomodation. Take advantage of local course knowledge at the adjacent Royal County Down golf course by hiring local caddies to help trim your score by avoiding trouble on the course. There are usually 3 levels of caddies from budding local golfers, to single handicap golfers, expect to pay more for a low handicapper though. We were unaware of there being 2 airports in Belfast. If travelling from Belfast International Airport you can jump on a shuttle bus to George Best Belfast City Airport as they run frequently at a reasonable cost. We were unable in our short stay to peruse the local coastal town of Newcastle, although it looked worthy of a visit.

Visited October 2011
Belfast
“Standards slipping”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed in the slieve donard on our wedding night and i have to admit i was very disappointed, the bathroom had a terrible musty smell and the shower doors were dirty.

Visited August 2012