“good family food”

Got a photo?
Add it.
The HOP
Cuisines: Diner
Description: Small family owned and managed American Diner in seaside town of Newcastle in Northern Ireland. GREAT breakfast and absolutely wonderful staff with a great attitude towards their customers.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

if your in newcastle co down and you want a good family meal give it a go it beats the fast food spots by a mile the staff are helpful the menu suits all from hot dogs to scones and at a good price

1  Thank ken r

Reviewed January 23, 2013

OK; in real terms I'm not a child but I am a child at heart, so I was delighted to find this diner a few years ago. Looney Tunes cartoons (with the sound off) are shown all day on the TVs and the background music (50's & 60's) is always loud enough to hear but quiet enough that you can have a conversation without shouting. The Hop is my favourite place to call in for a late breakfast, a morning coffee or a quick lunch.

The food, depending on the time of day you visit, is filling and tasty. Breakfast is a combination of Northern Irish (fried breakfasts) and American (along with the titles; eg Wrecked Hens on Rafts - scrambled eggs on waffles). The lunchtime menu has a standard range of fare (toasties, soup & roll etc) but the specials are worth considering as they are always Value For Money. I don't know what menu is available at evening time but I can honestly say I have never had reheated food and it is always tasty.

1  Thank David K
Reviewed November 9, 2012

i agree with dannymac9 ( the review below ) on one thing only the chips are not great but as for every thing else he said i believe hes just being a total drama queen i only eat fast food every other week and the hop is my place of choice every second Wednesday the food is 100% and the service is also very good dannymacs review reminds me of an episode of the simpsons when homer became a food critic, you no the one :)

2  Thank kennyh10
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Decided to go for a drive to Newcastle last night with wife and daughter and have a meal. Going by previous reviews on trip advisor decided to choose the hop well what a mistake that turned out to be. Starters were bacon + cheese wedges which was burned and over cooked by at least 15 minutes. Daughter had fish goujons which were just batter little fish. I had chicken enchiladas which was undercooked and chicken pieces which were black ! My wife had steak baguette with possibly the worst tasting pepper sauce ever tasted. The chips we all had on our plates were just disgusting ! Frozen black chips which had obviously been fried earlier and reheated a couple of times they were vile. I have never returned a plate with as much food left on it in my life ! Never again avoid and ignore previous reviews about this place it was terrible !!!!

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Discovered this great little diner in the town centre today and was so impressed with lunch that we returned several hours later for our tea before the journey home. The menu is 'diner-style' - standard offering of a range fry's (which is traditional fare to enjoy on a trip to Newcastle) - familiar favourites of chicken or fish goujons, daily specials (the lasagne today was as good as the great lasagnes I enjoyed in Venice)....large creamy banana milkshakes made with REAL banana. Plenty of choice on the menu for those who don't want a fry-up - enchilada's, chilli beef, soups....and the best fresh, hot waffles. I recommend a toasted sandwich - plenty of flling and nice quality bread.

Food was all freshly cooked, service was with a smile and very attentive. Loved the looney tunes playing on the television - nice to see grown men laugh over their plates:)
In all, a very nice place to take the family for a meal. Only slight negative was some of the seating could do with some renovation (seating cover was split) but not really an issue when the food and service is so good. This is on our 'must go-to' list when we return for another day trip.

3  Thank 27twinkle