“Disappointment”

The Anchor Bar
Ranked #21 of 59 Restaurants in Newcastle
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a century old bar situated at the foot of the Mourne Mountains; with a traditional public bar; with all the original fittings. Welcoming to all families, ramblers and climbers. We offer fabulous home made Pub Grub, where Kids eat free and we even have home made Organic baby food for our little guests.We're very keen to promote local produce and boast a whole host of Locally brewed Craft Beer and Cider including the award winning Whitewater Brewery, 8 Degrees Brewing Co, McGraths, Inish Macsaint and Armagh Cider Co.Our weekly entertainment includes a weekly Charity Pub Quiz (Thursday), weekly live music on Friday (Jamming Session) & Saturdays and live Stand Up Comedy shows as well as the odd Movie Night. We pride ourselves on showcasing local musical talent and give local bands the opportunity to run they're own nights.We also screen all live Premier League, Championship, Scottish and Spanish Football, Rugby, GAA, Golf and Boxing in high definition and on our big screen.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I met two friends in Newcastle yesterday (13.8.13) and we decided to dine in the Anchor Bar. Bad choice I'm afraid. The place was practically empty, despite the fact that it was lunchtime, and the décor leaves a lot to be desired - tatty upholstery and dirty windows just to mention a couple of off-putting items. We ordered tea and sandwiches - the tea arrived OK, the smaller teapot with a crack, also the milk jug was cracked (don't think it would pass health & hygiene check). There was only brown sugar on the table and when asked for white sugar (for tea) were told that they hadn't any... Unbelievable ....After approx. 5 minutes the waiter appeared with about half a dozen little sachets of sugar which he said 'he went across the road to get it' With hindsight, we should have left the premises and walked round the corner where we could have enjoyed a more appetising snack in a more inviting environment. We paid our bill and left, with the intention of Never Returning or Recommending.

• Visited August 2013
5 Thank Helen W

Newry, United Kingdom
“Poor Sunday lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Very very small portion for a roast dinner...two small circles of carrots, two runner beans and a small (tiny) broccoli head, a very small portion of mashed potato ( my son who hates eating veg would have beed happy, it would have all fitted in one mouthful) and a little piece of meat. We asked for more gravy...and they charged us! Not a Yorkshire pudding,
stuffing or roast potatoes in sight...how exactly is that a roast dinner? I felt a bit conned ,so we just paid left and won't be back.
Was annoyed to be charged for gravy for a roast dinner & wasn't really Sunday lunch as advertised in the flyer.
The staff were friendly and the atmosphere is good, shame about the food .

Visited May 2013
2 Thank paulatrainor
Rob M, Owner at The Anchor Bar, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Hello

Thank you for your recent review and feedback. I am thoroughly disappointed to hear you didn't enjoy your experience with us and would like to apologise on behalf of the management and staff.
We will take your feedback on board and offer larger portions to our clientele going forward. I also hope that one day you may return in the future so as we will have the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Kind Regards

Falkirk, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Went in thinking the kids free meals would be worth it but there was no real choice on menu and food was poor quality and not worth the cost would of been better taking them to KFC and alot cheaper

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Nyreecarbury
Rob M, Owner at The Anchor Bar, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Hello

Thank you for your recent feedback and I would like to apologise for your recent visit to The Anchor Bar.
Its very disappointing to hear a bad review but it also gives us the opportunity to improve our service and standards. Being a father of three boys myself we have in the past had a wider healthier selection of meals for the little ones. But again from customer feedback we found that very few families chose the healthier option. We do strive to improve our service all the time and seems we have let ourselves down in recent weeks. Any further feedback on children's meal options would be invaluable to us and if you could find the time to let us know what you would expect from a children's menu then we are certainly open to suggestions.
Again I would like to whole heartily apologise for your disappointing visit with us and hope you will give us the opportunity in the future to redeem ourselves.

Kind Regards

Belfast, United Kingdom
“TOTAL DISASTER - SERVICE AWFUL..FOOD AWFUL”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

As you can see from the title of this review, The Anchor Bar is one place I will not be visiting ever again. My wide and 2 kids decided to go here for some food at around 5pm on 13 July 2012. On entering the main bar, I asked the barman if there was any room in the lounge as the bar was full...he begrudgingly had a look for me (all he had to do his take a few steps to the side and look round a corner!) and confirmed there were places there. We walked into the lounge and there were a few diners either eating or just finishing. We took our seats and waited..and waited…and waited for a server to appear – nothing! I made my way to the lounge-bar and after waiting there for 10 minutes, the barman appeared (same grumpy one as before). I asked him could I order food here (at the lounge-bar) only to be told that the server ‘will be along as soon as possible’ (in ‘that’ tone). We went back to our seats and then another family came in. the server appeared 10 minutes later and began to take the order from the new arrivals! At this points we decided enough was enough (We had now been waiting for 35 minutes!) we were just getting our stuff together when we noticed that two of the diners who had managed to get served, were complaining about the quality of the food. I asked them was the food not great and the reply was as follows:-
‘I got the special of the day (spag bol) and it was rubbery and not at all nice; in fact it was awful’. The other diner proceeded to tell me that the burger he had order was ‘thinner than the McDonalds Big Mac and tasteless’

So perhaps it was a blessing in disguise that we never managed to actually order any food as the service is appalling.

I would avoid at all costs – will not be back, would definitely not recommend and the barman needs to get a lesson in customer service!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank cmoresons
Rob M, Owner at The Anchor Bar, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your first experience with us. I am very concerned with how long that you waited to order and that one of our members of staff appeared rude or abrupt. Unfortunately the 13th July is one of the busiest days of the year in our premises and although our staff are trained to a very high standard of customer care - it's unacceptable that you were treated in this manner.

Its unfortunate that you have commented on our food in your review based on another customers perceptions having not had the opportunity to sample our menu for yourself.
While we appreciate your feedback we received no other complaints that day so we can not comment on the other diners you spoke with.

While we do pride ourselves on our fresh home cooked food and good customer service, it seems in this case that we have let ourselves down. We will take your comments on board and do our upmost to avoid this happening again.

If you would like to discuss your visit with us further, please feel free to contact me on my personal number on 07904 645 635

Newcastle Co.Down
“Function night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We held a running club night out in the newly opened function room above the Anchor Bar. The night overall was a huge success. Food was excellent and plenty of it. The surroundings were lovely and finished to a high standard. The staff were very efficient and extremely helpful in anything that was asked of them. Cormac and Joanne were great hosts for the evening. Overall we had a fantastic night that finished off with live music in the bar. Would recommend this for a fun relaxed venue for functions. We will definitely be back!!!

• Visited June 2013