“Restaurant”

Tollymore National Outdoor Centre
Ranked #9 of 27 things to do in Newcastle
More attraction details
Owner description: Tollymore National Outdoor Centre is located on the northern edge of the Mourne Mountains on the fringe of Tollymore Forest Park. We provide a wide range of skills and leadership courses in outdoor adventure activities including rockclimbing, hillwalking, canoeing and kayaking, mountain biking, mountaineering and orienteering to groups and individuals. On site facilities include high and low ropes courses, indoor and outdoor climbing walls, canoe rolling pool, and a mountain bike skills course. The Centre also includes ensuite accommodation and a range of meeting and conference rooms.
County Carlow, Ireland
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Restaurant”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We had a quick stop here to view the facilities and check out the courses available at the centre. We have plans to return at a later stage.
Staff very friendly and helpful - showing us around the building.
We had morning coffee which was excellent. Restaurant very clean and would return when next in the area. The views from the outside deck were stunning.

Visited October 2013

Ireland
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“A little advice from staff would have been great.”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Went here on mountain bike February 2013, paid our fee to a member of staff who told us virtually nothing about what facilities we could use, was only by pure accident that we discovered a 2nd mountain bike track (saw bikes crossing the road)as we were finishing, maybe he was having a bad day but we were paying customers who deserved to be informed of such things.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank olivernone
3Babes, Public Relations Manager at Tollymore National Outdoor Centre, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
We are really sorry to hear about your experience here at Tollymore National Outdoor Centre and we totally agree with you – you should have been advised on the facilities available here. Our staff are highly trained and it is extremely disappointing to learn on this occasion they did not implement what is only common courtesy and good practice. We are currently investigating this to ensure this does not happen again. Following on from your comments we feel it is necessary to design a brief flyer to give to customers who are using the mountain bike skills course and this should hopefully reiterate all the points that our staff should be verbally telling our customers. We certainly hope your recent experience does not deter you from coming back to the Centre in the future and we apologise for any inconvenience or annoyance caused.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“AMAZED doesn't cover it!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

I've been driving past this place for years without ever giving it much attention. I thought I knew what they had to offer without visiting. Then last week I gave it a go. AMAZED doesn't cover it. The facilities were clean, modern, perfectly purpose built. Every detail though of from skills pool and graded climbing walls to wet rooms and drying facilities ... And that's just indoors. Outside the friendly and knowledgable instructors effortlessly show you from activity to activity. And a thoroughly great day was had by all!!!

1 Thank The_weeman80
Rockville, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Unbelievably Hospitality!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Although I had no previous knowledge of Tollymore or its wonderful Outdoor Center. I was driving through the area looking for a trailhead to the trail I intended to walk last Easter Sunday (2012). I saw the center from the road and stopped to turn in and was hit by a very fast car on the "wrong" side of the road at the top of the hill. Neither car was drivable, and there was car debris along the road for a good ways. The people at Tollymore came right out and started helping. The owner was leaving, but told his staff to provide me with anything I might need and told me that I could go in and use anything necessary. After all the police and medics had done their work, I went inside to give my report to the head policeman. The Tollymore staff saw to it that we had some nice hot coffee and a comfortable table on which to complete the report. They even let me use their phone number so that I could communicate with my car rental company. After all was done and I was on my own waiting for another car from the rental place, they said they would watch for their arrival and I could wait upstairs in their most comfortable and well outfitted lounge. i was going to watch some television, but fell right to sleep on one of their incredibly comfortable couches. A lovely young man came to wake me gently. I got my things together and was on my way, but wondered what I could do to thank these people who had made an awful situation (no one was hurt badly thankfully) so much easier for me. A friend suggested I write a review for them, so I'm just now finally getting around to it - should have done it much sooner - but this place has the most hospitable people I've ever had the good luck to meet. The center itself was spotless, dining and lounge were great, and I'm certain anyone taking part in their activities would be beyond satified with their services. Tollymore: thank you so much!!! The American woman who crashed outside your drive.

Visited April 2012
3 Thank optimistic20814
Dungannon, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Exhilarating!!!!”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This was the best experience of my life, I went bouldering although the water was freezing. It was good fun and I would do it again, the low ropes course was challenging!

Visited May 2012