“Great outdoor training and facilities”

Tollymore National Outdoor Centre
Ranked #8 of 27 things to do in Newcastle
More attraction details
Owner description: Tollymore National Outdoor Centre is located on the northern edge of the Mourne Mountains on the fringe of Tollymore Forest Park. We provide a wide range of skills and leadership courses in outdoor adventure activities including rockclimbing, hillwalking, canoeing and kayaking, mountain biking, mountaineering and orienteering to groups and individuals. On site facilities include high and low ropes courses, indoor and outdoor climbing walls, canoe rolling pool, and a mountain bike skills course. The Centre also includes ensuite accommodation and a range of meeting and conference rooms.
belfast
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Great outdoor training and facilities”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I bought my husband a weekend course "Mountain Skills 1" for Christmas and bought two places because I thought that he wouldn't want to go alone. If I am honest I was dreading it - I thought it would be full of action man types and that there would be nothing worse that being on a mountain in Northern Ireland in January. How wrong I was!

The staff were wonderfully friendly, the facilities were spotlessly clean.

We stayed in a family room which consisted of a double bed, single bed and another double bed which was up a ladder over the ensuite. The rooms have basic but very comfortable furniture. There is a TV lounge, you get access to their climbing wall and full use of the drying rooms etc for your often dirty and wet kit!

The course was lead by Graham with assistance from Brendan, it was great! We learnt how to read maps, plan routes, pacing and to take a bearing along with some basic health and safety. Graham and Brendan then helped us put it all into practice.

My husband and I have been hiking and climbing for several years but we learnt quite a lot on the course.

They do a range of courses from full on mountaineering to Kyaking and have a great High ropes facility - not for the faint hearted!

It would be a great weekend trip for a family.

Visited January 2012
3 Thank redheadsturnheads

Dublin, Ireland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Better than a 4* Hotel”
Reviewed February 6, 2011

We came up for the weekend for a meeting and expecting a hostel type place, came prepared.
The weather was terrible, the building unbelievably nice.
All designed for people who would be doing outdoor activities, but without loosing the quality. The place and staff were welcoming, the room was clean, warm and very nice. Bedding and Towels were provided and were clean, nice and there was even tea/coffee available in the room.
The food, was fabulous, kitchen staff couldn't do enough and even without warning them about no Wheat, Dairy including Beef and no Caffeine, I had lovely packed lunches both days, and the two dinners were fabulous including a wonderful desert. Breakfast was fresh and so much choice it was unbelievable and there were 34 of us sitting down to breakfast !!.
I can also say it was very reasonably priced and can't wait to find a reason to go back as soon as possible

Visited February 2011