“Excellent :)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tory Bush Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newcastle
Tory Bush Cottages
Ballymena
“Excellent :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Rooms with a fantastic post card view of the mournes. I found the cottage very clean and the facilities are great. A short drive from Newcastle and the mountains on our doorstep.
After walking all day I was able to have a lovely warm bath although separate shower was there too.
Cooking on site with all the bits and pieces you need and a lovely little balcony with bbq stand to use a disposable bbq. I didnt this time but I would totally recommend this spot to anyone looking for a relaxing spot.
Thanks to the owner David for giving my old car a tow :) when it wouldnt start. So kind.
ps. lovely wee open fire if weather is bad :) so cosey

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Amanda D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Co.Tyrone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed in the eco loft cottage last October/November and were delighted with the accomodation it was spotlessly clean, the kitchen was very well stocked with everything we needed and the rooms were all very comfortable and cosy. It was very much a home from home our cottage had a balcony with table and chairs which was perfect for taking in the gorgeous view The owner was very pleasant and left us to our own devices though we knew he was on hand if needed. The cottages are clearly a labour of love for him.Location wise the cottages were close to Newcastle/Dundrum/Tollymore and of course within easy walking distance to the main attraction themselves the Mournes, Im very much looking forward to staying tory bush again its the perfect place to relax and unwind after a glorious days walking in the magical mournes.

Room Tip: eco loft is perfect for couples
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rach M
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

We had a week in NI during May/June half term. Cottages were fantastic and a great location for accessing the Mourne Mountains. Despite the mixed weather we had a great week. It is possible to walk a short way down the road and then into the top of Tollymore Forest Park, which is a lovely place to visit, especially along the path down by the stream.
The cottage we stayed in slept 5 and had a cot. As there were just 4 of us, it meant my brother and I were able to have separate rooms (3 bedrooms). Each bedroom upstairs had a sink, plus the downstairs room had an en suite with a shower. Kitchen was well-stocked with equipment and cutlery etc. At the back it opened up onto a small garden, for that property alone with a picnic bench, so for the better weather you could have eaten outside. (We did spend quite a few evenings with friends in Warrenpoint so it wasn't all down to the poor weather that we didn't eat out here).

Overall a very enjoyable experience. Would like to come back to climb some more of the mountains. Only made it up 5 this time!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Basilio_10
Newtownards, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

Myself and my wife have spent many weekend breaks and longer breaks now at Tory Bush. The area is beautiful, really close to Tollymore forest as well as plenty of good Mountain tracks with Slieve Meelmore, Slieve Bearagh and slieve Meelbeg all within good walking distance.

There is always something happening around Tory Bush, plenty of friendly animals to visit, its truly a home from home for us.

I've noticed some negative reviews, mainly concerning the owners rules of not allowing visitors. The owner is a really friendly and lovely guy and this rule is there for a reason, Tory Bush is not a hostel and having a rule about no visitors means that the place will remain lovely and tranquil.

Love it and will be back many more times.

Room Tip: Ecoloft is great for a quick getaway
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

My husband and myself have been visiting for approximately 10 years for a once yearly well needed break. The cottages now feel like home from home. The accommodation is always clean and well presented and the views are spectacular. The owner has always been polite in a business like manner, which is what we would expect given that these are self-catering cottages and not a hotel etc. He has clearly treated the cottages and surrounding areas as a labour of love and it has been a joy to see them evolve over the years.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Louise F
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

I visited Tory Bush in May, 2011. Since I'd never been to Northern Ireland at all, I was happy to rely upon my friend to find and secure accomodations. There wasn't any real risk in that because at any point if I/we weren't happy we could simply choose to move to another spot as I'd be there for 10-14 days.

Because I'd flown overnight and spent the day in transit, by the time we arrived at Tory Bush I was fast asleep in the car. I remember a gentleman walking up to greet us and I seem to recall an offer of "if you need anything...." as I fairly stumbled into the house and within moments fell back asleep. The next morning I awoke to a view of the sun on the mountain through my patio door and was so very amazed by its beauty I sort of drifted straight outside, barefoot in my pajammas to take it in. After going in for coffee and to dress, I wandered back outside and met (whom I later found out was) the owner of the property, his beautiful dog, his "friend who runs this place" and even a gorgeous cat who actually gave me permission to come into her space! (as a cat lover, I can tell you that doesn't always happen) After apologizing for my complete lack of manners upon arrival and offering assurances I was exhausted and not drunk as a fish, I was welcomed, offered any assistance I might need, and engaged in a lovely but short little introduction to the place. I thought it wonderfully thoughtful that he welcomed me, invited me to find him around the property, then sort of backed off to allow me privacy.

My original plan was to stay at the cottage for maybe 7 or 8 days then spend a few days in Dublin. I found the cottage, the surroundings, the entire place and everything about it so very enchanting we chose to extend our stay to an entire two weeks.

Quick point of explanation: I'm a Grandmom from Philadelphia. My youngest grand child started pre-school last fall and now that the Grands are in school and I took early retirement, I have the opportunity to travel quite a bit and see places and friends I've dreamed of for so long. I so enjoyed my time at Tory Bush I'll be returning in mid-September for another stay. As I'm getting to see different places now, I usually opt for different venues when I return to a city (ie: I've never stayed at the same hotel twice in Las Vegas though I've been there 4 times or taken more than one cruise on each cruise ship) but I never even considered staying anywhere other than Tory Bush for this trip, with the exception of booking one night (before my return flight) in Dublin.

I'm absolutely looking forward to my return to the area, and most of all the chance to spend more time with a great friend in such an awesome little cottage surrounded by such beauty.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Belfast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

We had one of the properties booked for a week in August. The owner made a massive deal about visitors which we felt was a little bit overboard.

We telephoned him to arrange payment and raised this issue with him. He was rude and cheeky during the call. Wonderful customer service! Which resulted in him having a cancelled booking!

His attitude certainly did not bode well for a relaxing time.

• Stayed August 2011
6 Thank Karen M
ToryBushCottages, Owner at Tory Bush Cottages, responded to this review, August 28, 2011
I am sorry if I came across in a rude manner to these people, I certainly did not mean too.

I had agreed a heavily discounted price for a week’s accommodation for this couple, based on two persons, with a supplementary charge for additional guests if there were to be any.

The couple had accepted this at one point, by text, and had agreed to book on these terms and conditions. They never provided their details for payment despite reminders, but two weeks or so before the arrival date phoned to say they were only prepared to pay the discounted price but not the extra for additional guests. I said, 'Let’s cancel the booking and that I am sure you can find cheaper accommodation somewhere else.’ the phone went dead at that point, which may have been accidental as I was on a mobile in a poor reception area.

For full details, including copies of text messages and the agreed booking form please visit my blog by clicking through from the Tory Bush website and check out the newsfromtorybush blog for the 24th August 2011.