“Disaster!”
Review of Avoca Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newcastle
Avoca Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed August 24, 2012

From stairs about 1/2 metre wide and the reception desk like a block of wood in the middle of the floor and shower in my room broken and room smelt like smoke and staff was extremely ignorant and also very expensive. And rooms dirty.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank jack w

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for one night father and five old daughter,staff very nice and helpful,rooms tidy and very clean,great meals and breakfast and great bar, overall i was pleased for the money . Down side rooms above very noisy because of old wooden floorboards but for the money A OK. Private parking too,have fun .

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This was our second stay at The Avoca Hotel and we were not disappointed
in the least! We noted a bit of a revamp, and newly decorated which was very nice indeed, also a beautiful new gold sign outside, above the door.
Our room was lovely with a beautiful sea view, very clean, and nice decor.
A beautiful breakfast was served, along with helpful friendly staff. I cannot wait for a return visit!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mou92
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This was my 57th hotel stay on an extended around-the world trip. I stayed overnight with sole use of a twin room (#21) and shared bathroom, for GBP 30/night including breakfast. I had a walk in rate the same day of my stay. My room didn't have a sea view. Free wifi although the signal strength was too weak for my room, although it was accessible from the foyer.

It’s an older, basic motel that’s in a great location on the waterfront. My room had two single beds, a small hand-basin, tea/coffee making facilities and a very small and old colour tv with limited chanels. Room was dark with not very good lighting, reasonably clean although a little musty smelling. My room was a bit of a walk from reception, up (and down) several sets of stairs and through several doors. The shared bathroom wasn’t very appealing.

There was a little noise from the bar at the rear of the hotel, and some door noise from other guests, but nothing earplugs don't fix.

Parking was free although there’s a limited number of small spaces available in an off-street garage. I parked on the street outside, but note it was only free until 9am (I think?) so watch the time to avoid a potential parking infringement.

There’s no key issued for the front door so you’ll need to press the doorbell and wait to be let back in.

Staff were friendly and polite.

It was right for the price (including a hot meal option at breakfast) for one person overnight.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Boriski
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Called a few nights for something to eat during our stay in Newcastle
The first two times was ok but after that it went down hill. The dinners had no taste at al didn't look as if they had been freshly made although the price is good but you only get what you pay for!! On the upside staff are friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nettie002
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I booked this hotel for our squad of 18 / 20 guys - it was everything and more that I expected, wonderful owner Dorothy plus the staff including Susan were really down to earth people who made us all feel very welcome, and couldn't have done anymore for us during our 3 day stay. The setting on Central Prom was a great location for access to all local amenities, and being situated below the Mountains of Mourne - magnificent. I feel so good about it some of the squad are thinking about going back - I'll need to take my wife over for a long weekend in thr near future.

Room Tip: Make sure you book an ensuite bedroom.