“wedding party”
Review of Hugh McCann's

Hugh McCann's
Ranked #8 of 59 Restaurants in Newcastle
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Hugh McCann’s is family business that has been on the go for almost 40 years, the building is around 200 years old and has been sympathetically restored to preserve old world charm, yet with all modern comforts and fabulous design taking advantage of the stunning situation.The building nestles between the mountains and the sea. The restaurant looks onto the promenade and out to sea, the bar area, beer garden and wedding function room have views of the Mourne mountains. The Bedrooms have either sea or mountain views. Ample parking for coaches is available nearby. Conference facilities include breathtaking 'breakout' areas, and fabulous opportunities for team building activities such as a walk in the hills or volunteering at a local national nature reserve.
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This was my fourth visit to Newcastle in recent years. It's a nice place with fantastic views of mountains and sea. Hugh McCann's was well located along the sea front with ample parking at the rear. At first sight I wondered if this was going to be my thing. But never ever book a book by the cover. Inside, a typical Irish bar. Staff were polite, efficient and most important to me, they were friendly. After initial coffee and sandwiches we were ushered through to the ample sized reception room with over 200 guests.
The wedding meal was hot, tasty and well presented just the way I like it. I couldn't eat the sweet, there was nothing wrong with it, in fact all around me who did said it was beautiful. I asked for fresh fruit and the staff fell over themselves to get it for me. I'm not fussy I just need to lose weight.
I could only find one problem and oh boy it was a whopper. My entire table and two tables next to us asked to be moved. Our dinner was ruined because of it. I'm sorry to say it because I really couldn't blame the staff, it was just poor location.
Ok when you go into the room at first sight it carries the wow factor , the top table straight in front and tables laid out with room to walk around without having to breath in. The toilets are on the right of the room. And there in lays the problem.
The toilets open directly into the dining room. 200 people drinking then constantly visiting the wc the stench was unbelievable. A wonderful dinner ruined by the stench of urine. So take this advice, you won't regret it. Go there by all means but sit as far away from those toilets as you possible can or take a peg to put over your nose You know what your clothes smell like when you have been near smokers, well I could smell urine all the way back to the place we were staying at.. Would I go there again. Well yes I would but I'm definitely not sitting on the right. or any where near it..

Banaba25, Manager at Hugh McCann's, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Rushie,

thank you for taking the time to write a review , we do appreciate feedback as it gives us the opportunity to improve.
The wedding you are referring to was our largest to date, and we made an error in placing tables right at the toilet doors. We could have simply placed tables further back from the top table,(as we would for any large function) but in an effort to keep all the guests close to the Bride and Groom it seemed like a good idea!
We did realise within minutes of the guests entering the banqueting suite and speeches beginning that this was undoubtedly an error. There was a steady stream of visitors to the toilets which made it unpleasant for guests seated right at the doors. Unfortunately we were not able to move the tables until the meal was finished. We sincerely apologise and assure you that we do not plan to place a dinner table at that particular spot again.

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely treat after a walk in the Mournes. The staff were very accommodating in that they allowed our dog to sit by our table as we ate outside. It's nice to eat at one of the few bars that allow dogs to sit at the outside tables.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We chose here for our reception and we did not regret it!! We were sneaky and went in for a meal to check out the food and service without telling we were considering them as a venue and after the meal immediately booked it!

The whole day was flawless and we honestly cannot fault them on a thing... I hate reviews that gush so really tried to find a fault but just couldn't! That says a lot coming from me as I'm a picky aul cow! Lol! The meal was delicious and all our guests agreed. We also booked their resident DJ who was fantastic and kept the party going even with our request for about 5 different styles of music!! (Rock, dance, metal, cheesy wedding music, country)

Just can't praise them enough! If you are considering here... Stop and just do it! You are treated like the only person in the world that matters from start to finish!!

Hugh McCann's... Well done!!

1  Thank Polly A
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We decided to have our wedding here as it was the perfect venue, situated in the heart of the seaside town of Newcastle, with the Loft suite providing views of the Mournes on one side, and the beach on the other. The staff were more than helpful from the day we booked right up until the day after our wedding. We had changed our minds several times on menus and layouts etc but this was never a problem. We left instructions for the staff on the morning of the wedding on how to set up the Loft suite how we had wanted, and when we arrived later than day it was nicer than we had ever imagined.

Guests were complimenting us on our choice of venue, everyone was very happy with the food and the portion sizes, and the gourmet buffet which followed our dinner also went down a treat, don't think anyone left hungry! Overall we couldn't be happier with how everything went on our special day, thanks to the restaurant staff and bar staff, the managers, the wedding coordinators, and all those involved in making this day amazing.

2  Thank SiobhanMcArCu
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Fantastic day at Hugh McCanns for my wedding on the Tuesday 20th August 2013. Made my wedding special excellent from start to finish. Thank you all for a fantastic day to all the staff working on the day of my wedding really appreciate that you made my wedding so special. Couldn't fault anything so perfect.

Thanks again Colin