“Awful service and poor food”
Review of Hugh McCann's

Hugh McCann's
Ranked #8 of 59 Restaurants in Newcastle
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Hugh McCann’s is family business that has been on the go for almost 40 years, the building is around 200 years old and has been sympathetically restored to preserve old world charm, yet with all modern comforts and fabulous design taking advantage of the stunning situation.The building nestles between the mountains and the sea. The restaurant looks onto the promenade and out to sea, the bar area, beer garden and wedding function room have views of the Mourne mountains. The Bedrooms have either sea or mountain views. Ample parking for coaches is available nearby. Conference facilities include breathtaking 'breakout' areas, and fabulous opportunities for team building activities such as a walk in the hills or volunteering at a local national nature reserve.
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I visited Hugh McCanns today with a party of six plus one infant. On arriving we waited for our high chair to be brought to the table- it arrived faulty and extremely dirty- clearly not cleaned from the previous user. The staff were very incompetent and blindly ignored us on several occasions. We felt the staff seemed too uncaring to even be approachable to ask for the window directly beside out table to be closed. The table we sat at really needs to be replaced as it felt like if we leaned on it it would have collapsed. The young male waiters appeared clueless and inexperienced in the restaurant. The lady who appeared to be in charge was plastered in make up and seemed to shout her delegated orders and even started to give tasks to another waitress (who was pregnant) whilst taking our order. The restaurant was not busy whilst we were there. Our food was average and the portions where quiet small- we had to ask for an extra portion of chips (for a five years old). Our plates where cleared promptly but several items remained on the table until we left! After our main course was cleared we waited approximately 30mins on a member of staff asking us if we wanted the dessert menu- which never happened- in the end we decided to cut our losses and do without. Highly disappointed!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

stopped in on the 31/7/13 for lunch, myself and my friend with two young toddlers. Waited a while for menus to be brought to us. I ordered my 18month old daughter chicken goujons and mash. I had just finished my meal when I decided to try one of her goujons , which were completely "SOUR" , so I called the male waiter over and told him. he said to tell the female manager behind the bar when I was paying for the bill. when I went to pay , the girl manager deliberately turned her back to me for a good ten minutes, then slapped the bill down on the counter "VERY IGNORANT AND RUDE" , so I told her that I would not be paying for the kids meal , as the chicken was "SOUR" then she asked me twice what was wrong with the meal, by this point I was completely fed up explaining myself. I got not even one apology from either the male waiter or the female manager. lucky enough my daughter mainly ate the mash and only a small bit of the chicken, which give her diarrhoea anyway. for she could have been POISIONED as she is only 18 months old. over all Hugh mc cans service and food is a disgrace. I would advise them to improve on their food hygiene and give more staff training, especially to their bar manager, as her customer skills are awful !!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is an excellent restaurant overlooking the sea in Newcastle, Co Down. Food is to die for and nothing is too much trouble. My son was a bit undecided about a starter he hadn't tried before. They actually brought him a little sample to help him to decide. Not many restaurants would go to that trouble. The staff are very friendly and work very hard. Well Done!!!

1  Thank carrie1960
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stopped in here for a bite to eat after a recent hike up Slieve Donard. On arriving in the bar we had intended to both eat and drink but found ourselves sitting idle for almost 10mins before finding our own menus.

Having perused the menus, we ended up heading on somewhere else as we didnt fancy the selection however it wasnt as if anyone even noticed we were there in the first instance.

I note that we didnt eat the food here and the reason we moved on was because the vegetarian who was with us didnt really fancy what was on offer. However, we may have been persuaded to stay had a member of staff approached us.

1  Thank Kavo85
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have recently had my wedding at this venue ...staying the night before in Haven (accommodation of Hugh McCanns) ceremony and reception. From the onset the staff of Hugh McCanns were absolutely brilliant they could not have been more helpful or friendly.
The ceremony area was stunning and really made our day special.
We had our reception in the Loft suite which was equally as stunning with views of the sea and mountains.
The meal came out and was fabulous....many guests came to me afterwards and commented on how lovely the food was and were extremely impressed by the hot plates!!!!!!
Special thanks to Anna and Matthew who looked after Paul and I and all the guests extremely well.
This venue is an extremely relaxed location and very family friendly ..... We had 12 kids at our wedding and the staff were great with them making the adults relax and enjoy their own day without stressing about the kids.
Me and my new husband have now decided that every anniversary we will be going to Hugh McCanns to relive the perfect day they gave us.
Overall our day was fantastic .....brilliant venue and fantastic staff!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many Thanks