“wedding package”
Review of Hugh McCann's

Hugh McCann's
Ranked #8 of 59 Restaurants in Newcastle
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Hugh McCann’s is family business that has been on the go for almost 40 years, the building is around 200 years old and has been sympathetically restored to preserve old world charm, yet with all modern comforts and fabulous design taking advantage of the stunning situation.The building nestles between the mountains and the sea. The restaurant looks onto the promenade and out to sea, the bar area, beer garden and wedding function room have views of the Mourne mountains. The Bedrooms have either sea or mountain views. Ample parking for coaches is available nearby. Conference facilities include breathtaking 'breakout' areas, and fabulous opportunities for team building activities such as a walk in the hills or volunteering at a local national nature reserve.
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My daughter's wedding was held in Hugh McCann's recently and all the guests attending were very complimentary about the venue, food, ambience, service, etc. There was a lovely comfortable relaxed atmosphere and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Well done!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

If you are in search of a relaxing, customer-orientated venue for a family lunch, DO NOT consider Hugh McCann's.

I traveled down to Newcastle to view the wedding facilities on offer with my mother, grandmother, and sister. In order to gain a fully rounded insight into how the quality of service provided by the establishment we decided to sample the lunch menu. The service was slow and incompetent from the outset, myself and my family were ushered up and down the stairs from bar to restaurant twice before seeking out a table by ourselves... the found was average but was not worth the wait at all.

To cut a long story short we decided to cut our losses and ask for the bill. The young girl who opted to complete the transaction was clueless and on putting the till roll into the machine back to front, was unable to print a receipt. She argued that although I had put in my pin number and a blank receipt had indeed been printed, that my account had not been charged. I knew that I had been charged as from my seven years in retail I understood that it could process with or without the printer printing onto the till docket correctly. Nonetheless, her manager was called and she too insisted that I make a second payment, which I reluctantly had to do. It turns out that I had in fact been charged not 35.20 but 70.40!! I called them and spoke to three different people, but am still waiting to get my money back. I'm starting to think I will never see that money again!

3  Thank ks212
Banaba25, Manager at Hugh McCann's, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Sincere apologies for the service you received. Your visit was on a very busy day, and your party of four were served by a new member of staff who is still in training. The visa machine failed to print out your receipt and our staff believed the transaction hadn't taken place. I trust you have now received your cheque.
Once again apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Visited Hugh McCanns today for something to eat. Greeted by a friendly bar man who showed us the menu and told us to take a seat. Pub/Restaurant was well maintained and had a pleasant atmosphere with a great fire on the go; great for warming up and looking out at the superb views on the promenade.
We ordered the seafood chowder and the prawn cocktail; the seafood chowder was without doubt the best one I've ever had (move over Molly's Yard!) a great big portion served with crispy garlic ciabatta. My fiancés prawn cocktail was also a hit.
Our only gripe was we'd asked for fanta and was given club by the younger waiter and also had to repeat what we'd ordered four times, but then again he could be new.

Well definitely return again and keep that fire going!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We got a table beside a lovely big fire and overlooking the sea. The meal was affordable and the waitress who served us on Fri 9th Feb at 5pm was very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My all time favourite place to eat. Their seafood chowder is out of this world. Well worth a visit. We travel down just to eat there. Lovely view as well.

1  Thank bhtmcf