Situated at the foot of the Mournes, just off the Castlewellan Road, The Burrendale is a privately owned hotel with a friendly, personal approach. I stayed in an Ambassador double-bedded room which was spacious, tastefully decorated, and scrupulously clean, with comfortable beds and crisp bed-.linen. The large modern bathrooms were luxuriously fitted out. With tea and coffee-making facilities and a panoramic view of the Mournes. I would have been perfectly happy to while
away the afternoon in my room with the Sunday nespapers, sleeping off a delightful lunch, had I not been there to attend a convention. I had just returned from holiday abroad and booked at the last minute, a couple of days before the convention. I was relieved to get the last available Ambassador room, with breakfast ...... for a mere £90! Last year I booked well in advance, paid a little more, and had a huge room with a Jacuzzi bath. On both occasions the food was excellent. I normally prefer seafood and vegetables, and the seafood here is fresh and cooked to perfection, but the local lamb and beef are unbelievably good.
My only negative comment is that the dining room is slightly understaffed at Sunday lunchtime, as this is a very popular venue, and the dining room staff could
do with a little extra help. Also, check-in time is 3pm. If you are attending an all-day function, this is a little late, especially if you are not in the first flush of youth and your health is not the best. The rooms were fully booked for the Saturday or else I would have been happy to check in for the weekend, but the reception staff were extremely helpful and allocated me the first Ambassador room to become available, several hours before the official check-in.
Saturdays seem to be fully booked, months in advance, but I am tempted to return for a mid-week break, a visit to the spa, and an early morning dip in the pool.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Northern Irelands latest 4 Star Hotel, located just 45 minutes from Belfast or Newry, 90 minutes from Dublin and a 10 minute walk from the seaside town of Newcastle, The Burrendale Hotel is within an easy distance, making it the ideal destination for your holiday in Ireland. Our friendly staff, bright, airy rooms and great food along with spectacular views over the Mourne Mountains make the perfect combination for your stay at the Burrendale Hotel to be one to remember. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Burrendale Hotel, Country Club And Spa
- Burrendale Hotel, Country Club Hotel Newcastle
- Burrendale Hotel Newcastle
- Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa Newcastle, Northern Ireland