“Newcastle's Hidden Gem”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newcastle
Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Newcastle's Hidden Gem”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Situated at the foot of the Mournes, just off the Castlewellan Road, The Burrendale is a privately owned hotel with a friendly, personal approach. I stayed in an Ambassador double-bedded room which was spacious, tastefully decorated, and scrupulously clean, with comfortable beds and crisp bed-.linen. The large modern bathrooms were luxuriously fitted out. With tea and coffee-making facilities and a panoramic view of the Mournes. I would have been perfectly happy to while
away the afternoon in my room with the Sunday nespapers, sleeping off a delightful lunch, had I not been there to attend a convention. I had just returned from holiday abroad and booked at the last minute, a couple of days before the convention. I was relieved to get the last available Ambassador room, with breakfast ...... for a mere £90! Last year I booked well in advance, paid a little more, and had a huge room with a Jacuzzi bath. On both occasions the food was excellent. I normally prefer seafood and vegetables, and the seafood here is fresh and cooked to perfection, but the local lamb and beef are unbelievably good.
My only negative comment is that the dining room is slightly understaffed at Sunday lunchtime, as this is a very popular venue, and the dining room staff could
do with a little extra help. Also, check-in time is 3pm. If you are attending an all-day function, this is a little late, especially if you are not in the first flush of youth and your health is not the best. The rooms were fully booked for the Saturday or else I would have been happy to check in for the weekend, but the reception staff were extremely helpful and allocated me the first Ambassador room to become available, several hours before the official check-in.
Saturdays seem to be fully booked, months in advance, but I am tempted to return for a mid-week break, a visit to the spa, and an early morning dip in the pool.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank AnnieKay2013
DenisOrr, General Manager at Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to write your review and also for choosing to stay with us at The Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa.
I am delighted that you really enjoyed your experience with us. We strive to exceed all of our guest's expectations, and I trust that we exceeded yours. Thank you for your wonderful feedback on our staff and also our cuisine, which I am thrilled you enjoyed.

We would love to have the pleasure of welcoming you back through our doors.

Denis Orr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
N.Ireland
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We spent 2 nights D B&B there last weekend. The food was great, staff friendly and the Sinatra entertainment on the Sunday night fantastic!! (The guy on the Saturday night was terrible but we still managed to enjoy a drink!!) There is a swimming pool for the kids and I had a facial in the spa and it was excellent, although I had great difficulty getting booked in as they were so busy. Would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa.
I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to us soon.

n ireland
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We are booked to stay on sunday night and definitely NOT looking forward to it but cant afford to lose our deposit of £49 . We booked the room a few months ago at £100 for basic double to attend a function. We didnt realise that if you wait until 3 or 4 days before we were due to arrive we could have got an upgraded room ie ambassador double for£68. We asked as a goodwill gesture if we could get an upgrade and were told theyd LOVE to do this but there was no availabilty. Fair enough. EXCEPT the day after a friend rang and happily got the ambassador double for£68!!! . The staff were very rude on the phone totally unaccomodating my friend asked yesterday to speak to manager and reception said he'd ring back. That was nearly 24 hrs ago! Not a word. Moral of the story is WAIT until 3 or 4 days before you book go on their website and get the late deal! We dont even want to go now as this whole experience which we were looking forward to has been destroyed.

Room Tip: Wait until 3 or 4 days before you travel to book
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank janeenmoo
Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

I do apologise if you felt that a member of our team was rude to you-as this is certainly not the usual feedback we receive about our staff members, guests are always commenting on how friendly and helpful the staff are.

The amount you were quoted and paid for your room was correct at your time of booking.

The deposit is required to secure your reservation and is a hotel policy that applies to all guests. The hotel reserves the right to reduce room rates at any time when there is high availability.

I do hope you enjoyed your stay with us when you arrived and we would hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Ireland
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I had a wonderful beauty and massage treatment with Amy in the Spa on the last day of a 3 day trip to the Burrendale on the 24th September 2013. My skin literally glowed afterwards and was coaxed into a more youthful appearance. Three days later, I am still getting compliments on my 'glow', despite no product use or further skin care since. Delighted. A treatment that goes down as one of the best I ever had both during it and for after effects.

Thank you Amy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I am delighted that you took the time to write a review of the Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa.
Thank you for your very positive comments about the Spa and indeed staff member Amy. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to Amy. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Went for a weekend break and had booked dinner in the vine restaurant. All was going well until we went to the bar for pre meal drink. We were asked to wait until our table was ready, after 45mins we still had no table, when I pressed the staff we were put in the middle of an over crowded room with a table that rocked so much our drinks kept spilling over. I refused to sit at the table and was moved when I complained. The night got better until the waiter arrived with our steaks, he didn't know which one was which and had to walk away with our meals back to the kitchen to find out! When we got the food we enjoyed it until I went to the bar to order a drink when I caught the bar staff trying to serve me a open bottle of coke that had been lying on the self. If this is the way they treat guests I wont be back. Good food but the whole experience could have been so much better.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Burnsy46
DenisOrr, General Manager at Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at The Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the disappointing aspects of your stay. Please be assured this is not normal practice and is not an acceptable standard.

I do hope that you will return to the hotel in future so that we may have the oppurtunity to provide you with the excellent service we offer on a daily basis.

All feedback is used to improve the service we offer and have confidence that we take it seriously.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My wife and I took 2BB1D. Asked for room near reception. No problem. Very good menu in Dining Room. Staff were "each one nicer than the last". Comfortable room but with no view. Ask for room at front. Beautiful view of Mourne Mountains from dining room (or anywhere at front). Reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Ask for room at front.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank septagenarian
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay with us. It is great to read your comments about your encounters with the staff which they graciously appreciate. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I went here with my 2 friends for my 23rd birthday, I have to say that the spa was lovley, I got a full body massage and it was wonderful..we then went for food in the little bar/resturaunt..the staff there are so friendly and even gave me a complimentary cocktail as it was my birthday :) fantastic experience, would not hesitate to stay the night

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Daydreamxx
Thank you for taking time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you chose to celebrate you birthday at the Burrendale, Hotel, Country Club and Spa. I am thrilled to read how much you enjoyed your experience at the spa and will be sure to pass your comments on to the rest of the staff. We hope you will return to the Hotel & Spa in the not too distant future.

Denis Orr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
Crowne Plaza Belfast
Crowne Plaza Belfast
#15 of 44 in Belfast
Slieve Donard Resort and Spa

Been to Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa? Share your experiences!