“What a wonderful experience!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newcastle
Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I have been experiencing an extremely stressful time as our nephew, aged 37, was close to death with cancer. At this time of year we usually have a week's holiday abroad but chose Newcastle this time because we could get home quickly if necessary. We spent 3 remarkable days -included the two days' perfect weather a couple of weeks ago. We couldn't speak highly enough of the care and attention received by the staff and they knew nothing of our circumstances. I was asked to play the organ at another funeral to take place the day we were due to go home. I didn't have one of the pieces of music and tried to get it from a friend in Newcastle. Friend not at home. What did the receptionist do? She was so busy -looked as if she was working on three phones at once yet she looked up the internet and had it printed perfectly for me in minutes. As we entered the restaurant for our first breakfast there was a family we knew well but hadn't seen for a while. No idea they were coming and vice versa. Their son had just said he would love to speak to my husband for advice on a very difficult situation - and we walked in and stayed the same three days. No co-incidence. They often stay with you while it was our first time. Being people of prayer we can say, 'God is good!' Incidentally our nephew went to Glory less than a week after our return home. We will be back with you a.s.a.p. and that's definite!

Room Tip: Room was no problem. We were facing back. Any location would have been ok as we were so glad to hav...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
DenisOrr, General Manager at Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at such an important time in your life. It is very pleasing to know that our efforts have been rewarded by your lovely comments. Many thanks for taking the time to make your review known, it is greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have just returned home after a stay at the Burrendale. I was part of a large group gathering to attend a surprise birthday party, and I was very impressed with the hotel throughout. The size of Food and Beverage space is much larger than I thought, and it seemed that there was something going on in almost every space. Considering the time of year and the weather, the place was bouncing! And i can see why. The product is in good shape, and the flexibility for venues to eat means there is something for everyone. I found the food to be a good standard, but the stand out positive goes to the team there. Great service throughout! Friendly, helpful, but also very professional! You can see that they have all been trained to a high standard, and there is a strong management presence which ensures the staff stay on their toes. I offered to carry some wine glasses to our room, but they insisted on taking them, even though it was to drink wine we brought in with us. The venue was busy with an 80th party, a 65th party, a christening, a full house of residents and a busy leisure centre, and in every space we were met by great staff who went out of their way to make us welcome. The evening entertainment in the lounge was good and there were a number of locals who came to enjoy it too!
I can see why its number one on Tripadvisor for Newcastle, even with the heavily invested in Slieve Donard close by. Well done and many thanks for looking after us all so well! And thanks also to my father in Law who discreetly footed the bill for everyone! Much appreciated and a huge success all round.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write your review and also for choosing to stay with us at the Burrendale Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us, we strive to exceed all of our guests expectations, I trust that we have exceeded yours.

Thank you for the wonderful feedback on our staff and also our cuisine. We would love to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed in the Burrendale for 3 days. We were looking for a relaxing break after Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. When we first arrived the room next to the one we were given was getting some work done. My husband mentioned this to reception who moved us straight away. The food in the restaurant was lovely and the staff could not have been more helpful throughout our stay. The spa treatments were fantastic and very good value for money. The indoor pool and sauna area was a bit smaller than expected but as there were not many there it was not an issue.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel to get stunning views of the Mourne Mountains

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of the Burrendale Hotel. We certainly appreciate the opportunity to have you as a guest, I will be sure to pass on your comments to our staff at reception and in the Spa were we pride ourselves in delivering top quality treatments, we look forward to your return visits in the future.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed for 3 for 2 nights deal including dinner at the Kitchen Cottage.
I must admit it seemed quite too good to be true. 3 nights B&B and one evening meal (3course) for two was only £230!

I couldn't fault the service at all, everything was very prompt and staff were ever so helpful. Hotel was very quiet when we arrived and I expected this, as it was just after christmas/new year holiday period. However service we received was still very good. Receptionists were very attentive and so were the staff at the gym and spa. Breakfast was very plentiful! Also there is Tesco just few mins walk from the hotel, if you needed anything.
Hotel is good 10-15mins walk away from Newcastle town centre but I'd say it's still close to everything - Mournes, Beach, Castlewellen etc etc

Would definitely stay here again! hopefully they will have their offers on quite often!

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your recent stay here at the Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us, I was especially pleased to read your comments on the Hotel's location as it is one of our most significant and defining features. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Just returned from 3 night break in Burrendale (was one of hotels offer 2 nights with 3rd free including one night's 4 course meal all for just under £190 for 2 people). Have to say, couldn't fault it - the staff, atmosphere, rooms and food were all fantastic! I'd upgraded my mum & me to room with view of mountains - this room (324) was dual aspect, with door leading out to a small balcony which was lovely. The room was very pleasantly decorated, bathroom superb with a fab shower (no bath). The breakfast on all 3 mornings was really lovely. Although its a buffet style for the cooked bit, everything was very nicely cooked and good quality - you certainly didnt feel that it had been there for quite a while!! We ate all our meals in the different bars (same menu no matter where you eat) - have to say food was just super. Another trip advisor reviewer said that they were given a certain amount of money to spend on the 4 course meal that was included in their deal - this certainly wasn't the case with us, we had the same choice for the 4 course (meal included) meal as we did on the other nights.

The pool, sauna, steam etc is probably the only down side of the hotel - it all is just tired looking and could do with an overhaul. However, depends what you're after and it certainly suited my mum & me, especially as shes only keen to use the jazussi. Previously my husband & i did have a spa treatment one afternoon a couple of months ago so although the pool bit is in need of refurbishment the area where the treatments are is super & a fraction of the price for treatments compared to other hotels!

So overall, def rate this hotel for its friendly staff, warm welcome, comfortable environment & rooms and food was brill. It seemed a very child friendly place too - they were painting some of the rooms as we walked passed and we had a quick look in one - it had a double & single bed as well as bunkbeds so for a family it would be super and there's a kids pool bit too. There were quite a lot of more senior folks staying too and again it was just lovely to see the staff being very attentive to those less able to help themselves.

I'd definitely go again & with the fabulous mountains of Mournes on your doorstep my hubby will enjoy being up them while I relax in the spa!!!! Bliss.

Room Tip: Obviously rooms looking onto the Mournes are a bonus! I paid £20.00 each to upgrade to room with ba...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write your review and also for choosing to stay with us at the Burrendale Hotel. I am delighted that you really enjoyed your experience with us. We strive to exceed all of our guest's expectations and I trust that we have exceeded yours.

Thank you for the wonderful feedback on our staff and also our cuisine. We would welcome the opportunity of having you as a guest in the not too distant future.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed overnight on 12/01/13 for husbands birthday.From check in to service and quality of food this hotel could not be faulted.Lovely pleasant receptionists and check in was quick and efficient.Bedrooms are not massive but very clean and comfortable with good bathroom and excellent shower.They have tea and coffee facilities,hairdryer, and iron.Had a look around the spa , swimming pool and gym and although did not use them this time would be keen to try them out next time.We had a beautiful 4 course meal (which was included in price) and food was well presented of excellent quality and served by efficient pleasant staff.Rounded evening off by relaxing in lounge listening to lady singing and playing music.Lots of groups and families enjoying this.Breakfast next morning was again of good quality ,fresh and hot.There was also a lovely cold buffet with plenty of fresh juice and fruit.If you are looking for a good quality hotel with excellent food and lovely staff and a relaxing stay then the Burrendale is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face front with views of mountains

Dear Guest

Thank you for the very positive comments on accommodation, food and indeed the staff. We look forward to the next time you stay with us and hope that you continue to enjoy visiting the Burrendale Hotel, Country Club and Spa.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

we went for a one night stay and it was very good.food,leisure facilities and staff excellent.wewill return again!!!a couple off negatives were the room was too warm and the bed was too soft.pool,sauna and steamroom were excellent.burrendale is excellent and gr8value for money.

Room Tip: ask for a firm bed and for room temperature to be lowered.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Burrendale Hotel. We certainly appreciate the opportunity to have you as a guest and look forward to your return visits in the future.

Denis Orr

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
1 mi away
10 mi away
Denvir's Hotel
Denvir's Hotel
#1 of 3 in Downpatrick

Been to Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa? Share your experiences!