Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Newcastle
See available hotels
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Avoca Hotel(Newcastle)
1,072 results
All reviewsthe vinecottage barambassador roommourne mountainsswimming poolevening entertainmentsteakfirst classnight breakcourse mealsunday eveningrelaxing breaklounge areamid weekmy mumfamily roomdouble bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have stayed here twice, the first trip was with my girl friends for a spa break in March 2012. The second was with my husband and another couple after a charity trek up Slieve Donnard Mountain in July 2012.

My first trip was fantastic, reception staff were friendly, helpful and check in was smooth. The room was a family room which had a double bed, single and bunkbeds in a quite small room. The room seemed clean but quite tired looking. The bathroom was adequate and clean.

We used the spa opting for massages which we all really enjoyed. The spa was lovely and relaxing. We never got to the pool as we spent hours in the relaxation room chatting and eating the complimentary chilled fruits which was a nice touch.

We ate in the Vine restaurant and I absolutely LOVED my meal! The food was exquisite. We stayed mid-week and had pre booked, which was lucky as the restaurant was full. Our waiter was a young looking guy who was just lovely, attentive and chatty.

Breakfast the next morning was also good, a large choice with great service from the same young man as dinner the night previous. Checkout was again smooth. I loved this stay so much that I recommended it to my sister and her fiancé and we all booked to stay in July after a mountain trek.

We checked in with the friendly staff headed to our rooms then straight to the pool and jacuzzi to relax our tired legs. To our disappointment we were told in the leisure area that the jacuzzi was not working and we should have been informed by the reception staff on check in. They hadn't mentioned it despite us talking about how we were looking forward to it. We headed to the pool anyway which had quite a few children in it. It does have a toddler pool area which was good for the smaller kids.

We went to dinner in the Vine restaurant after I had raved about it to everyone so much. I ended up embarrassed. I ordered exactly as I had during my last stay and every course was served different with something missing from what was stated on the menu. My husband and one of our guests ordered food that appeared luke warm and tasteless. My dessert arrived with one of the main ingredients missing. When I finally got the attention of our waitress to ask about it she told me "We must have run out." She then walked off and I thought she was away to check with the chef but she never did come back to us! During the entire meal service was slow and without a smile. Not once were we offered drinks, we had to go out to the bar and order them ourselves and bring them back each time we needed drinks. When our table was full with empty plates and glasses I had to ask the waitress to clear the table. She lifted the plates and left the glasses. I then had to ask to get the glasses cleared and she looked taken aback and harassed that I dared ask. Not once did she enquire how our meal was. Perhaps she already knew the answer! Not one person at the table was happy with their meal.

Breakfast was more of the same. We were shown to our table and 20 minutes later after we had eaten the over cooked breakfasts we had been left to choose from the buffet I had to leave the table and go and find a waiter to ask for tea and toast. Dirty plates were never cleared and our tea was never topped up.

When we checked out the receptionist asked how our stay was and I informed her that she was actually the first person to ask us! I explained the rude and absent service from dinner and the poor service from breakfast. She apologised and told me to email them when I got home to log my complaints. I will be honest that I didn't bother.

The hotel itself is lovely. The bar is great and the lounge has massive windows with beautiful views of the Mourne Mountains. I just cant believe the 2 completely different experiences I have had. I am not sure if I would stay again. I will probably try the Hastings Slieve Donnard Hotel next time. I will never say never though as you can get some good deals including spa deals here. Maybe 3rd time lucky!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
DenisOrr, General Manager at Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Dear Guest

I wish to respond to you and hopefully re-establish your confidence in our product. I must apologise that your experience in our Vine restaurant wasn't to our normal high standard as noted from previous reviews our food and service has scored top marks with our guest. Please accept that the team at the Burrendale Hotel are always striving for excellence. Your feedbacks very valuable to the future experiences of our guest, and have confidence that we take it seriously.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We were in a taxi heading back to the Slieve Donard where we were staying when out taxi driver recommended the Vine Restaurant, we took him up on it, and were delighted we did. Reception was very helpful booking our table for us, it was the saturday night before Christmas 2012. The restaurant was beautiful, very well decorated for Christmas. We had a beautiful dinner, then we headed out to the lounge to watch the live entertainment. About 5 minutes before the gentleman started singing the lounge completely filled up. The man was very good and seemed to have many regulars at the hotel. When we return next year we will be staying here. It might be a bit further out of town, but the £2 taxi ride from the town centre, the care and attention from the staff and the buzz that the hotel had, I would definately recommend it and the restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent dining experience at the Burrendale Hotel. Our Vine restaurant is renowned for providing quality food and quality service and it is pleasing to read that this has been achieved.

We have entertainment on in the hotel every Friday, Saturday and Sunday which is popular with all guests. We would love to have the pleasure off having you as a guest in the future in order that you experience the full Burrendale experience.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is the place to relax with friendly helpful staff. Wheelchair access is great. The last time I was here I made a suggestion on disability needs in the public toilets when I arrived yesterday the changes had been made. Highly recommend the spa and the cocktails

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Guest

We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent dining experience with us, we are delighted you enjoyed our food and hospitality. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. As you have noted we welcome feedback from all our guests so improvements can be made to all aspects of the Hotel.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My brother's wedding was held in the Burrendale Hotel, and it has to be one of the most memorable days made all the more by the fantasic staff, food and atmosphere. This is certainly a well established family run hotel which deserves ten out of ten for the professional style in how this hotel is run. For weddings I have to say I was very impressed at every attention to detail which was covered by all the staff of the Burrendale Hotel in Newcastle. I really have to give this place a very high commendation!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to write your review. I am pleased to read that you really enjoyed your Burrendale wedding experience. We strive to exceed all of our guests expectations and I trust that we have exceeded yours. We would welcome the opportunity to have you as a guest in the future.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I attended a cousin's wedding reception at the Burrendale back in October '12. It was the first time I had been in the place and I honestly would recommend a visit to anyone. The staff are fantastic, very attentive and friendly. The dinner service was wonderful - fantastic food and very efficient staff, everything was done so smoothly. Everyone raved about how great the whole day was, and it just shows how professionally this hotel is run. The decor is beautiful and classy, too.

I fully intend to visit again with friends and family for a meal sometime in the near future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Adele D

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent Wedding experience at the Burrendale Hotel, Country Club and Spa. We at the Burrendale Hotel pride ourselves in our reputation of providing quality food and quality service at all wedddings and it is pleasing to read that this again has been achieved. We look forward to your return visits in the near future.