“Pleasantly surprised!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newcastle
Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My partner and I stayed here on a one night deal mid October 2011.

To be honest we were feeling slightly dubious when we arrived as reception decor was very dated. We were given our room key straight away on arrival at reception.

The Room:
We were disappointed that our room was quite small and with a double bed and a single bed - we would have preferred a kingsize. The room had obviously been tastefully redecorated and had new furniture. The bathroom was dated but immaculately clean - no mini size shower gels/shampoo but there was Dove/Lux in full size dispensers beside the sink and shower.

While the bed was small it was comfortable and the linen was snow white and the pillows were lovely too - very soft and puffy! Towels in the bathroom were pretty good to - thick and snow white.

The Meal:
Our dinner was not included in the deal and we ate in The Vine restaurant. We had a drink in the Cottage Bar beforehand. There was a wedding on so plenty of buzz. A lovely waitress took us to our table in The Vine - carried our drinks on a tray. Again, the decor was dated but our table in The Vine was very comfortable - a carver chair each, more snow white linen and sparkling cutlery and glasses. We were impressed, even more so when another lovely waitress offered us canapes - gorgeous mini cones with coronation chicken or goats cheese and apple. Delicious. I think we were to get bread as well as there was oils/hummus on the table for dipping but the bread didn't arrive - no matter as we got double helpings of canapes!!! The menu covered all the meat bases and a good vegetarian option. I ordered smoked quail salad (as did my partner) and I had fish of the day - brill - and partner had the chicken. The plates going by to other diners looked fabulous and we were surprised to note there was a 2 course or 3 course offer of £23 or £26 respectively. The waiter who took our order was very knowledgable about all the dishes on the menu - able to describe each one in detail and the waitress who took our wine order (wine list extensive and covers all budgets) was very knowledgeable too - good to know the staff take part in wine tasting. Our starters arrived and we were not disappointed. Quail salad was delicious, our wine was fabulous and our main courses were superb. A lovely touch was the sorbet served between starter and main course which really impressed us. The fish and chicken were cooked to perfection. We were brought a side each of roast veg which was also delicious. We enjoyed every bite. We had been of the mind to have 3 courses but were so full up we opted for coffees and our lovely waitress brought us petite fours which were just enough sweetness for the end of our meal.

At this point we could have gone to sit in the lounge area (very comfortable looking) and there was live entertainment on, which didn't appeal to us, but everyone looked like they were enjoying themselves , but we headed back to our room.

There was one incident when were woken up (I presume when wedding guests were departing) when there was noise from guests outside, seemingly right under our window but a call to reception rectified this.

Next morning I went to the gym which was surprisingly big with plenty of equipment e.g. cross trainers, treadmills and plenty of floor space with mats and swiss balls for floor exercises. The personal trainer there was really friendly and approachable too.

We had our breakfast in the Cottage Kitchen which was ok. Disappointed that the soda and potato bread looked deep fried, but it was plentiful as were sausages and bacon and the loveliest scrambled eggs. I also had a nice slice of homemade wheaten with jam which was lovely!

We checked out after breakfast as it was a sunny morning so we wanted to make the most of a day touring the Mournes. Check out took a while as reception desk is small and many people were leaving - I presume wedding guests departing.

The Verdict:
Things to improve the rooms - perhaps a coat hooks near the bedroom door - when we arrived it was very rainy and we had nowhere to put damp coats and a hook or 2 on the back of the bathroom door for clothes. Also facecloths would be a worthwhile addition in the bathroom. And bigger beds!!!

Overall I would return to the Burrendale, ideally on the price of a room deal we had in October 2011. Not sure I'd pay full price for a small room and small bed. I cannot fault the staff or The Vine restaurant we had a lovely evening and fabulous dinner.

1  Thank Holidayfan9090
DenisOrr, General Manager at Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2011

Dear Holiday Fan 9090
Thank you for taking the time to write your extensive feedback on trip advisor. By receiving constructive feedback such as this can only help us to address the issues which you have raised.

We have noted all of your feedback and comments which I have personally shared and discussed with the managers in charge, without remarks such as these we would be unable to enhance and upgrade our service, standards and facilities.

That said, I was pleased to note that our Vine Restaurant staff were well informed and helpful, your comments have also been shared with the teams involved.

I do hope that in the future you may allow us the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Burrendale Hotel, may I take this opportunity to inform you that if you require a king size bed, ensure that you reserve one of our Ambassador Rooms.

Denis Orr

Write a ReviewReviews (1,051)

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Stayed at the Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa for three days last week. We had a
wonderful time. Great food, very comfortable room, friendly, helpful staff. What more could
we ask for. Yes, we will be back.

Ann & Sandy

Dear Ann & Sandy
Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us at Burrendale Hotel.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you were happy with the services provided by our team here.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Stayed at the Burrendale for a wedding and from the moment we walked through the doors to the moment we left it was an absolute pleasure. I do believe the Burrendale's secret weapon is their staff. They where extremely helpful and very pleasant. I had a 5 month old baby with me and the staff did everything they could to accommodate us. My daughter had to be taken out of the function room during the speeches and the staff took it upon themselves to arrange that my cousin who was babysitting my daughter would have her wedding meal delivered at no charge to my room. My other daughter who is 6 was getting a little bored so the staff presented her with her very own colouring book and crayons, this made her day. The food was outstanding and the service second to none. We were looked after so well that I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to everyone. It is definitely one of the best hotels i have stayed in.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Dear Brian & Family
Thank you for posting your review about the Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to learn that you had enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you were pleased with our facilities and service of our staff members.
All your positive comments are greatly appreciated, and they can only push us forward to deliver excellent service to all our guests.
We look forward in welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

I recently enjoyed a two night stay in the burrendale along with 15 other women and it was fantastic. the staff did an amazing job and everyone was very friendly. the food and rooms were excellent as was the spa. overall thoroughly enjoyed by all.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Lianne
Thank you very much for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor.
We are always happy to know that we have provided good service and I will be sure to pass on your kind remarks to the rest of our team.
Once again, thank you very much and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Burrendale Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 18, 2011

I recently stayed for 3 nights at the Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa. The whole experience was truly wonderful and relaxing, which is exactly the experience my friend and I sought. I cannot rate highly enough the food and the service. The staff were wonderful and very friendly. The Spa and Country Club facilities were truly amazing. The entire stay was excellent value for money. The location is excellent if driving as you are approx 40 mins from Belfast and 35 from Newry. Overall I will be back and I cannot recommend this hotel enough. If you're looking for peace, quiet, great food, excellent service, comfort and utter relaxation (with a spot of shopping thrown in), then you must stay at the Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
DenisOrr, General Manager at Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

Dear Toby
We here at the Burrendale are delighted that you took the time to write a review of us. Thank you for the very positive comments on accommodation and food and indeed the Staff! It is very pleasing to know that our efforts have been rewarded by your lovely comments. We are looking forward to the next time you stay with us, contact our Reservations Department on reservations@burrendale.com as we have “Hot Deals” on over the Winter Months. We sincerely hope you continue to enjoy visiting the Burrendale Hotel, Country Club & Spa.
Warmest Regards
Denis Orr – General Orr

Reviewed October 17, 2011

I fell in love with this hotel when I attended a conference a few years back and I always said if I get married it would be here! I can honestly say that the hotel staff could not have done anymore, they were fabulous especially Fiona and Connaire who totally organised every detail so that every guest felt so special. The food is a big selling point, all freshly prepared with local produce and everyone raved about it- being a vegetarian its sometimes difficult to get something a bit different, but at the Burrendale the food is outstanding. Waking up the next morning to spectacular views over the Mournes is just heavenly and the rooms are finished off beautifully- and are spotless. Great for children- the pool is perfect and young families are really well catered for. Great irish snug bar in the hotel with a blazing fire and plenty of local bars and shops to check out in neighbouring Newcastle or Castlewellan. Oh and if there def try the Spa- the facials and massages are incredible!!

Room Tip: Any room with views over the Mourne Mountains