“Poor and pricey wine list”

Slieve Donard Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Just had a fabulous weekend in Slieve Donard Hotel
Great staff in all departments.
Only complaint would be price and selection of wine. Would also be nice to see Guinness available at the bar
Some form of entertainment would also be nice. The restaurant performer finishes at 9.30pm. I think 10.00 pm would be a better time

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank nmcm
Write a ReviewReviews (3,204)

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Overpriced joke! The rooms are dated there like something you get in a care home ! Also the dust in the room was wild I blew the lamp shade and it looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the place was built! Food in the oak restaurant,... What a joke I paid extra in our package to eat in the oak and I left starving! Starters where ridiculous I couldn't eat my goats cheese! My partner had prawns which still had their [s--] pipe still running through them!! Mmm yum! I then ordered duck (served pink) apparently! It was like leather so I sent it back and waited 20 mins on a new duck by which time my partner had finished his meal .(pork which was dry) but he was starving! My new dish of duck was exactly the same over cooked rubber I would have needed a steak knife as I tried to cut into one of 5 small pieces of duck on my plate for 23 quid! It shot off across the table. Not only was it like rubber the whole dish was tasteless. Never would I return to this hotel to spend my hard earned money on this dump! Mysf and partner go away 4/5 times a year to hotels for 1/2 nights and I have paid less and been in far nicer places. I would never recommend this place to any family or friends and as we own out own business we have customers in every day so il will be telling them of our experience and making sure they don't make the mistake of booking this hotel! Reall donard update and clean ur rooms and find someone that can cook!

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Niknak232
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Fantastic hotel and had great overall experience. Rooms were awesome and spent alot of time in hotel bar area and had a blast. Staff very friendly and accomodating. The outside of the hotel spectacular with ocean views to match. The town of Newcastle was great and had a wonderful time within its pubs.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Was there for a golf trip. The food,spa,room and facility were great. Not to mention the one of the world's greatest golf courses Royal County Down is a 100 yard walk away. I look forward to going back again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed two nights here last week and cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. Our room had superb views and was very well equipped. Breakfasts were magnificent, staff were friendly and the spa looked great. We plan to return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We paid a little bit extra to stay at the Slieve Donard but to be honest when compared to other similarly priced hotels it actually feels like we had good valued for money. The Hotel looks like Hogwarts-On-Sea (no bad thing) and the inside of the hotel lives up to its high standards. Some spa facilities are available to all guests but if you pay for a treatment you're granted access to the posh upstairs spa. A good tip is to go for a cheaper express treatment (if available), as they still last for 30mins yet you still gain access to the upper level spa facilities within the price.

The service in the hotel is some of the best we've experienced, with polite and helpful staff - which we found really refreshing after some of the places abroad we've stayed recently. The buffet breakfast was also to a very high standard. The location and views are excellent, Newcastle is a beautiful place and I definitely recommend taking a drive up into the mountains.

There were a few small downsides which I feel I have to mention, though these aren't enough to have affected our stay or our full marks score. Firstly, despite the beautiful views the hotel does seem to be surrounded by a car park moat, which is the first thing you see when you look out of any window. The windows cills in our room were also very sloppily painted (the fault of a bad workman), meaning there was paint strewn over the metal windows which added some glaring imperfections to our otherwise excellent Executive room. The Percy French restaurant is also best avoided, we expected a nice French restaurant with reasonable prices but instead you get over priced and poorly cooked pub grub. The waiting staff were lovely and very helpful but I think the food really makes it one to avoid.

Overall a beautiful hotel and highly recommended. We throughly enjoyed our stay and next time we're in NI we will definitely return to the Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, in fact I'm looking forward to it already.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My 5th time here, but only second time using TESCO vouchers at £150 night B+B. On our first time on vouchers, we had a room looking out on a fire escape, it felt as if we were second rate just because we were using vouchers. This time I paid extra for a sea view and the room (418) was lovely with excellent views of the sea from one side and the mountains from another. No robes or slippers like you would get at the Culloden on a similar offer, I would love to know why!
For me, the spa facilities are hard to beat at the S D. How delightful to look out on such stunning views as you use the pool and the hot tub! I also find the staff here totally professional, immaculately groomed, on the ball and most attentive at all times. It is a very busy environment, requiring a well managed team at all levels.
Drinks don't come cheaply, however. At £8 for a glass of wine, I made sure mine lasted!

Room Tip: I would ask for 418 again. A/C very quiet. Close to lift.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephen_Meldrum_GM, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa. We are very pleased that you came back for your 5th visit!

I am glad that you enjoyed the excellent views of the Mourne Mountains and sea from room 418 - we are very proud of our beautiful surroundings. Room 418 is a superior room and as such does not come with robes and slippers as standard however these items are available from our reception.

Our Spa is one of our guests' favourite facilities and I would like to thank you for highlighting our stunning views as well as our professional and well groomed staff. We like to ensure our guests have a relaxing and enjoyable stay and it is clear from this wonderful review that this has been achieved.

We look forward immensley to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
#8 of 18 in Newcastle
Cherryhill Lodge
Cherryhill Lodge
#1 of 18 in Newcastle

Been to Slieve Donard Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!