“Wedding Venue and Amazing Location”

Slieve Donard Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Guelph Ontario
“Wedding Venue and Amazing Location”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I got married here on 24th May 2013 and it was just amazing. The venue was spectacular and the staff were fantastic. From the moment of booking getting details arranged was easy considering my fiancé and I are living in Canada at the moment. The staff were great, Laura dealt with all our arrangements until the week before and then Chris looked after the final details and the event on the day.

Chris ran everything seamlessly and the wedding ran without a hitch.

The food was commented on by all guests as being fantastic and I can honestly say it was superb. We went for a buffet style main and the options were all cooked to perfection and the fact that you could have all or some provided great options to our guests. The house wine was beautiful and the staff looked after everyone with it.

The bar staff were well able to cater for the "thirsty" 150 or so guests and there was no complaints or queues.

We had a band called the Gents play and they were setup and ready to go in no time after the meal, the lighting and sound was great and the venue worked really well for dancing. Dj continued on to 1am and the bar stayed open to 2am. The residents bar catered well to our guests and there was no shortage of drink for them to continue the fun late into Saturday morning.

We decided to stay on for a second day of celebrations in the Percy French restaurant for a BBQ, music and the sport and it was superb. Over 50 of our guests stayed on and we had a blast but I will commend the Percy French on another review as it is deserved. They are fantastic, so handy to have so close to the hotel and then staff were amazing. Sonya and co. thanks very much.

The Spa was wonderful to have to be able to clear the head from the celebrations the night before. The hotel allows guests to use the spa after check out until 3pm on the day of checkout and alot of our guests took advantage of this on the Sunday. As we were part of the bridal party they did not require us to check out early and let us use the facilities without any hassle.

I must say that a number of our guests commented on just how nice everything was, we had no end of compliments on the food, venue, weather, location and scenery. Two of my wife's sisters had their wedding receptions in the hotel also and I think this speaks volumes of just how good this place is.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough. It is an amazing location but the staff are what makes it so welcoming. If it did not have such high standards and welcoming, polite, talented staff it would not work so i am so glad that it does. Everyone we dealt with was brilliant and it made the most amazing day, and weekend, of my and my wife's life superb.

Go to this location and experience it for yourself, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Our room was a suite for the 2 nights and it overlooked the entrance onto the mountain and the sea...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (762)
Tandragee, Craigavon
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I had been at the hotel on one occasion before when attending a close friend's wedding. This was the first time we had stayed there and weren't disappointed. The room was spacious and comfortable, with an excellent bed to sink into; very luxurious. All the staff were friendly and attentive.

We just had the bed and breakfast option and was very tasty. Plus a superb view of the Mournes whilst we're eating!

Just can't be faulted. We shall be back!

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a girls weekend.Our room was for 3 so lots if space for our 6 friends to meet up with us there.We were there on a b/b basis and have to say the buffet breakfast was brilliant.Staff in dining room and bar staff were pleasant and polite and the reception staff were so helpful on our arrival sorting rooms close to each other.I would definetly stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I booked a one night stay with dinner and breakfast for my boyfriend's 22nd birthday. From the moment we arrived, it was bliss. We made full use of the spa facilities at 12, which is a great way to pass the time until check in at 3. The shampoo/conditioner facilities are fantastic luxury products and the towels are soft. I highly recommend booking an executive room, as the use of the dressing gowns are free and the bay windows offer a fantastic view. Our room had a view of both the sea and mountains. We had breakfast in the room which was great! The staff are friendly and accommodating. I recommend tipping the bar staff in the Chaplin bar for their cocktails as they don't get many and they are fantastic! Perfect trip.

Room Tip: Executive rooms get a great view and better facilities.
1 Thank Anneypat
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

this is the 2nd time Ive been disappointed with the food in this hotel and this mornings breakfast was really cold.The only thing warm was my toast. I did not expect to be whaowed however did expect to enjoy the food. . Stunning views and hotel are outstanding but it is let down by the basics. When checking out I was not asked if everything was ok but made it a point to advise that the room needed to be cleaned before they put anymore guests into it. The windows were dirty and had cobwebs, nor had the bin been emptied before we were given the room. Sorry but I dont think I'll be back

2 Thank Liam O
General_Manager_JT, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

We appreciate your comments as they allow us the opportunity to improve on the service we provide. Regarding breakfast, it is disappointing that you did not enjoy your meal on this occasion. I will share your concerns with the Restaurant Manager. Please be assured that had you brought this matter to the attention of a member of the restaurant staff every effort would have been made to ensure your breakfast was replenished.

Regarding the housekeeping standards in your room, please accept my sincere apologies. All rooms should be throughly cleaned before the next occupant arrives and it is clear from your review that some areas were overlooked. I agree this is unacceptable and will personally ensure there are no further occurrences of this nature.

I again thank-you for bringing these concerns to our attention and would like to assure you that they will be taken into consideration in our continuous improvement policy in the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa.
Donaghadee
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My daughter's wedding was held here, ceremony, reception and party after. All was conducted with efficiency and expertise by the staff, and special mention to Chris, who organised everything superbly. The event was held in the Chandelier Room, which has huge bay windows with views of the mountains. The photographs outside had the beach and the sea and the mountains for a backdrop, which was wonderful.
The hotel itself is very impressive and beautifully decorated, which was important to us, as we had guests from the UK mainland, Europe, Australia and America.
The rooms are spacious and clean, and you can request a sea view, though this is not always available.
The staff were friendly, approachable and helpful, and we all had a thoroughly enjoyable time.
Terrific breakfast next morning and a walk along the promenade finished the whole thing off in a very enjoyable manner.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DeeJayDonaghadee
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel and I have to say it was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Location, staff, food all excellent. A thoroughly enjoyable experience. Need I say more. Needless to say I will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank eugcan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
#17 of 18 in Newcastle
The Mourne Lodge
The Mourne Lodge
#1 of 7 in Kilkeel

Been to Slieve Donard Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!