“Stunning hotel in a stunning location,”

Slieve Donard Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Dublin, Ireland
“Stunning hotel in a stunning location,”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed for a night at the Slieve Donard simply because I stumbled across a picture of it on the Internet, It looked such a beautiful building.
You don't need directions to the hotel as it dominates Newcastle, the lobby is very impressive and the rooms were very big and luxurious. We were a little underwhelmed by the food in Percy French restaurant and the bar in the hotel had the look to much of a working mans club with poor quality chairs and tables all over the place, this could do with reorganizing\redecorating.(there was a wedding on so maybe this had something to do with it)

Newcastle town is also lovely and if you are making your way to the hotel from the Rep of Ireland I definitely recommend taking the cost road along Carlingford lough and the Mourne mountains. It must be one of the most scenic routes in Europe.

Overall highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (746)
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful setting and hotel but a few minus points.
Staff in the hotel itself were not the most helpfull and quite rude at times and Breakfast was not very good, not 5 star hotel material.
The spa is fantastic and staff aswell.
Everything else was great, Ate in percy french all 3 nights and had brilliant service and food, could not fault it.
Overall a lovely hotel but the staff could do with being a bit nicer to guests, i would not rush back.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Tri337
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We got married at the Slieve Donard last year and had such a fantastic experience, we decided to go back recently to celebrate our first anniversary.

I was slightly concerned that it was the happiness of the occasion a year ago that had led me to have such good memories, as oppose to the hotel itself. However, I was delighted to find that I was right first time. This is a fantastic place and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

The scenery is stunning, the staff are truly world class, the decor is great and the facilities are up to scratch by any standard. The spa was especially enjoyable - don't think you can get much more indulgent than relaxing in a jacuzzi while enjoying a view that includes mountains and the sea (maybe if you had a glass of champagne). We ate in the restaurant this time and if I was being really picky then some parts of the meal were not quite as good as I might have hoped but it was still a really good meal.

It is the little things that really make the difference and that is what the staff here do so well. For example, I mentioned when booking that it was our anniversary and we had a card signed by the staff and some chocolates waiting in our room on arrival. This is just one of several similar instances.

If you are looking for a hotel in the area - choose this one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
General_Manager_JT, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa.

I am so pleased that your wedding was such a fantastic day that you returned to celebrate your anniversary. It is heartening to know that you have chosen to celebrate such important milestones with us and it speaks a lot about the service you received.

The location of the hotel is one of our most special features and it is always what initially attracts our guests but I am glad to hear that our service and facilities also meet the high standards that our guests deserve. We agree that the Spa is the ultimate luxury experience and we believe that all of our guests should have the opportunity to experience this indulgence which is why the Spa facilities on the ground floor are complimentary to all guests!

I appreciate your comments on the meal in the Oak Restaurant and welcome your honesty. Although there were elements of your meal that were not to your liking I am pleased that overall your meal was enjoyable.

Our staff believe in making our guests stays as memorable as possible and make every effort to ensure that they receive the finest in Irish hospitality.

We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel on your next visit!
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Just home from the Slieve Donard. Went for a night, B&B, and for a massage in the spa.

Booking in fine and got room key. Asked for ice bucket at reception, told it would be £5 to get one sent to the room, but if I asked at bar it would be free. Given a jug of ice at the bar and told that there would be an ice bucket in the room. There wasn't. Back to bar and given a wine cooler, into which I tried to fit a bottle of fizzy white wine and ice. Not a good start.

Went to the spa and mentioned that it was my first time in the spa and first time for a massage. Was given robe and slippers and told to put both on and go upstairs. Did so and hung around upstairs feeling a bit out of place. Someone came along and told me to lie down in a room and they gave me a massage and then told me to come out when I was ready. Was lead into another room and left there. Which was a bit odd, seeing as I had already said that I hadn't been to the spa before. Not stressful as I was totally relaxed, but odd as I didn't know were I was. Think the staff could have done more to maybe introduce the spa, the services therein and the procedure that was going to partake in. But no, just go here, go there, and then dumped in a room.

Went to the bar and you couldn't make it up.......no guinness! Murphy's instead. Barstaff say they don't have Guinness anywhere in the hotel. Barman: "Have you tried Murphy's?" Me: "Yes." Barman: "Do you want to try this Murphy's?" Me: "No." Barman: "I don't drink stout but I don't see what the problem is, Guinness drinkers seem to have the problem." Me: "Riiiiiiiight."
I really don't think that being told by barstaff that I have a problem because I like one brand of beer and don't like another is gonna make me want to stay in that bar.

Room: nicely put together, nice furniture, lighting and fittings. Bed very comfortable. Bathroom well put together, heated mirror: a nice touch; shower screen doesn't prevent the shower water hitting the floor; broken window handle and black mould in the grout indicates a poor maintenance regime.

Breakfast room: great views; table linen, staff, crockery, cutlery, and tableware immaculate; food distinctly mediocre: shell in the scrambled egg, sausages bland, bacon tasted burnt only, all food only warm - not hot.

Sure sleep here and ask questions in the spa, but eat and drink elsewhere.

Room Tip: Sea views cost a premium, but the fresh smell of the sea is all around, so just open your window whi...
2 Thank twogandts
Wotton-under-Edge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stay here every year for the May bank holiday as it is my Mum's birthday. We are four families with children of all ages from 9 to 23 and we always have a lovely relaxing time. The staff remember us from year to year and make every effort to give us good rooms close together and seat us all together at breakfast. The children can use the pool all day and don't have to have an adult in the pool with them over the age of 8 so my sister and I can sit on the side or in the juice bar and chat while they are splashing around. Really lovely to sit in the jacuzzi with the views of the mountains. We ate in the restaurant one night and the food was excellent. The italian on the high street is also excellent. Love watching all the wedding guests coming and going!

Room Tip: Family rooms are massive so plenty of room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
County Down, Northern ireland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a beautifully located hotel with views over the sea and Mourne Mountains. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and the grounds are well maintained and private. We had a room with a view of the sea and mouintains. It would be a disappointment to stay here and not have the view.

We had booked dinner in the Percy French restaurant which we assumed was in the hotel. This is in fact a bar situated at the entrance to the hotel complex and we were somewhat disappointed to have dinner in a bar. The food in the bar was excellent, but it is a bar.

Having read previous reviews we were looking forward to breakfast. The hotel push the fact that they use all fresh local produce. Unfortunately the breakfast was not freshly cooked and everything tasted as though it had been cooked before and kept warm . We spoke to a number of other guests who were also complaining about the dried up food. Maybe it was because the hotel was busy but this was a disappointing breakfast.

The spa is excellent with views over the sea and the staff were very helpful , particularly the fitness instructor in the gym. Unless you have kids, dont stay over a Bank Holiday week-end as the pool will be full of noisey splashing children

Room Tip: Book a room with a view of the sea
Moira
Reviewed May 7, 2013

First time in Slieve Donard Hotel, stayed there Wednesday 1st May, room was beautiful with gorgeous views of the mournes and the sea. Staff were very professional, and were served by a very jovial bar man in the main bar who was friendly and very professional in fact a credit to the hotel, sorry I don't have his name to commend him, but he sounded Eastern European.

We did have an issue though with the food we had in Percy French restaurant which was part of the deal. The food was dreadful, water-logged prawn cocktail with no sauce to speak about other than the water coming out of the frozen prawns, little evidence of the avocado which should have been in the cocktail. Main course I got was Duck which was over cooked and what should have been roast butternut squash with rosemary remembled my grandsons baby dinner. My husband ordered pate which was practically thrown in front of him, so much so the toast almost ended up on the table had it not been for his hand going in front to stop it. My husband ordered a medium rare steak which again was over cooked. This was my birthday treat and I did not want to start making a fuss, however, it will suffice to say that I would definitely stay at the hotel again which was great, but give Percy French a great big MISS!!!

Room Tip: Front of the hotel for great views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
#15 of 44 in Belfast
The Haven Newcastle
The Haven Newcastle
#9 of 18 in Newcastle

Been to Slieve Donard Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!