I stayed for a night at the Slieve Donard simply because I stumbled across a picture of it on the Internet, It looked such a beautiful building.
You don't need directions to the hotel as it dominates Newcastle, the lobby is very impressive and the rooms were very big and luxurious. We were a little underwhelmed by the food in Percy French restaurant and the bar in the hotel had the look to much of a working mans club with poor quality chairs and tables all over the place, this could do with reorganizing\redecorating.(there was a wedding on so maybe this had something to do with it)
Newcastle town is also lovely and if you are making your way to the hotel from the Rep of Ireland I definitely recommend taking the cost road along Carlingford lough and the Mourne mountains. It must be one of the most scenic routes in Europe.
Overall highly recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestling at the foot of the Mourne Mountains, the Slieve Donard stands in six acres of private grounds, and is one of Northern Ireland's most popular hotels. The luxurious ESPA Spa commands spectacular panoramic views of the County Down coastline and Mountains of Mourne and provides a perfect oasis of tranquility rivals any spa in Europe today. This superbly maintained Victorian hotel is equally suited to a short break, residential conference or grand event. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Slieve Donard Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Slieve Donard Newcastle
- Donard Hotel Slieve
- Donard Hotel Newcastle Slieve
- Slieve Donard Hotel Newcastle
- Slieve Donard Resort And Spa Newcastle, Northern Ireland