“Lovely hotel, polite and courteous staff but wouldn't pay extra for "executive" room again.”

Slieve Donard Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

My hubby and I stayed here for a two night weekend break. Breakfast is brilliant and fills you up for the whole day. we had one evening meal in the restaurant which was lovely, the pianist was superb. We paid extra for an "executive" room and although we did have a sea view I was disappointed with the room as I have stayed in many "standard" rooms which were of a higher standard. To be honest this would put me of coming back here again. Also thought 11am v early checkout on a Sunday.

• Stayed: April 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (3,197)

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Four of us stayed for two nights in this excellent hotel - we were allocated resort rooms on the third floor looking out to sea - our check in was first class and we were made to feel very welcome.
The room was of the highest standard with everything you could want in it.
The Spa/leisure facilities were outstanding with views looking out to the sea from the pool and Sauna.
We eat in the hotel and the food was of the highest quality.
We can't wait to get back as all the staff made our stay so wonderful

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I really love the slieve donard it's my favourite hotel to stay in and I would go a lot more often except I can't afford too!
The location is brilliant. The hotel is beautiful both inside and out. The staff are just OK. sometimes you feel as though you are putting them out by asking for something or occasionally feel they are annoyed about being bothered. I raised a few issues with the front of house but was not met with any good customer service and actually told if I didn't like it I could get my deposit back and leave!
Anyway the lure of this hotel is its beautiful views (from the right rooms) the opulence and the location. Some of the rooms are better than others most times though the hotel is fully booked so you do not get a chance to change rooms if you don't like it!
The spa is brilliant the pool freezing cold all year round but the jacuzzi makes up for it.
The restaurant is lovely but the bar lacks any real atmosphere.
Breakfast is by far the best meal the hotel serve with every possible option you could think off.

Like i said I love going and would go more but it is over priced for what you get.
My advice would be train staff to be more customer focused (especially management), reduce rates or offer better deals, be more family orientated as Newcastle is a family destination! And improve the lifeless bar at night time.

Room Tip: Family rooms are the worst in the hotel. If you can get 2 adjoining rooms as opposed to 1 poor quali...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed here recently for a big family get together. We were all upgraded to Resort rooms which are spacious and luxurious. Some had sea views. Great hotel- perfect location. Some of us climbed Slieve Donard - lots of snow up there- not what we were expecting when we booked this last year, but made it added to our enjoyment- we had to slide down part of the way on our bottoms!! It was heavenly to come back down to the hotel and relax in the spa which has beautiful views over the sea and mountains. Breakfasts were fantastic- wide choice of hot and cold food. Great to see that the food is all sourced in NI/ Ire too. We also enjoyed a family meal in the Oak restaurant where the staff looked after us very well. All in all we came away feeling relaxed and pampered.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I write this review after an over night stay here. I was pleasantly surprised, upon arrival, to be upgraded to an executive room at no extra cost. Waoh!!!! what a room, with sea view and a bed to die for. I had not pre- booked a spa treatment but took one in late afternoon which was exquisite. Attending a gala dinner that evening both my partner and I were surprised with our meal which I would compliment the chef for..........both hot and tasty. Alcohol was expensive, G & T around £5. The buffet breakfast was equally good and the only criticism I had was the "guest info" book in the room needs updating.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights on a dinner B&B package. The fist room we were allocated did not have a sea view which was a dissapointment to us, but we went to reception and were quickly allocated one that did.

The food that we had in the hotel was excellent, although there were a lot of younger waiting staff that were chatting alot to each other, (same at breakfast).

The spa and pool are lovely, the view is fantastic. We would return.

Thankyou !

Room Tip: We had a second floor room with a sea view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Had a lovely overnight stay 6 April. Arrived 1 hour early for check in to be told rooms were ready. Beautiful spacious room with views of the sea and Mourne mountains. Lovely modern Bathroom with large Shower and bath. Dined in the Percy French. Service and food were excellent. After a night spent in a massive comfortable bed we headed down to Breakfast next morning which again was delicious. From the moment we arrived at the Hotel until we left I can say the staff were all first class. Friendly and cheerful. Would definitely recommend the hotel

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 438 near the Spa
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
#8 of 18 in Newcastle
Cherryhill Lodge
Cherryhill Lodge
#1 of 18 in Newcastle

Been to Slieve Donard Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!