“New years eve delight”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Belfast
“New years eve delight”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We decided to go away with our two children at the last minute for New Years Eve. We were fortunate enough to book one of the few available family rooms. There was no sea view but to be honest it did not make any difference. One of the largest rooms you can imagine with 2 huge double beds and a massive bathroom.
A very enjoyable relaxing night was had by all.
We will hopefully visit again soon.

3 Thank JOHNSBelfast
General_Manager_JT, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa.

I appreciate you tkaing the time to provide a constructive critique of your recent stay which I believe will be a useful tool in helping us improve on the service we provide. I will share this review with the management team in order to identify areas on which we can make changes.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and that you will return to the hotel again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (741)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Just returned from another one night stay. Have stayed several times before and have always thoroughly enjoyed the experience. For anyone who hasn't stayed before, the location is stunning right on the seafront with the Mourne mountains in the background. The only frustration is that this has the potential to be a 5 star resort and management seem content to tick along. Whilst the staff are generally efficient, you could not say they strive to give excellent service.
The saddest thing about this trip was seeing an enthusiastic American lady asking the Eastern European breakfast staff about the food options and getting a very curt response.
One other tip for anyone planning a Summer trip is that the bedrooms do not have air conditioning and so on the rare days in Northern Irelans when you get warm weather, the rooms can be uncomfortable.
Overall though a stay here is very enjoyable.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed for a Christmas break and whilst the hotel is very nice, the room was good (superior double, sea views, £180) and the food wasn't bad there were a few things which clouded our overall experience:
1. The sauna, although it had good views overlooking the sea, was not hot at all. The stones didn't seem to be warm enough and there was no ladle or bucket to pour water over them. I had to keep going in and out to fill up 4 plastic drinking cups from the shower outside
2. We arrived for dinner and wanted to have a drink at the bar first while choosing from the menu and ordering. However we basically had the menus stuffed into our hands and were left to ourselves - the restaurant staff were not interested in looking after us or taking our order
3. No bathrobes in the room - although curiously there was a rack of them hanging along a corridor
4. We arrived for breakfast at 09.45 and had to wait in the bar for 20 mins for a table. At least there was coffee and juice for us
5. My bacon was cold

Overall, this hotel needs to brush up on details and service if it wants to sell itself as one of N Ireland's premier resorts. I've travelled all over the world and the level of service expected at a good 4 star hotel is a notch above this one.

• Stayed December 2012
Northern Ireland.
Reviewed December 30, 2012

A return visit to Slieve Donard. This was another wonderful experience. The staff are so welcoming, the food and service excellent as usual. The Christmas Experience is first class, we would certainly recommend this Hotel to all. A very special thanks to the wonderfully efficient Mohamad, who has the running of the Hotel at his fingertips - nothing is too much trouble to him. Looking forward to our return visit SOON

Room Tip: Mountain and sea view.
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Visiting on a complimentary b&b offer, following a forgetable stay at this time last year. We found this to be a more pleasant stay but still with some faults for a 4 star hotel. Booking in was pleasant and efficient. Hotel porter more than helpful and very friendly. Room was spacious, decor was fresh. Spa visit was tranquil and relaxing. Meal in restaurant was delicious with the exceptions of the service, at no fault of the staff, they were rush off their feet. Cutlery was not changed to matach our order and we had to ask for a soup spoon and then a steak knife. We wanted more sauce with our meal and it took us at least 10 mins to attract a member of staff to our table, at this time meal was luke warm, but we did not say to the waitress, as we could see how busy she was and she was trying her best. On retiring to room for the evening and pulling back bed covers, we noticed stain on one pillow case, it looked like chocolate or blood stain. Reception arranged this to be replaced and it was actioned with 10 mins. On checking out reception area offered little or no privacy to guests. One gentleman beside us was having diffculty with his card payment, another staff member at the far end of reception was on the phone to a 'Mr G' (quoted in full) stating a problem with a card, she then proceeded to quote the full card number along with expiry date etc., we were horrifed at this. at the thought it could have been our number - this call should have taken place in the office area behind reception. Overall we enjoyed our stay and will be back, but cannot help but feel that a little more attention to detail is required for a hotel of such standard.

Room Tip: ask for sea view to enjoy changing climates the area offers
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kieran M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed here for the first time on Sunday 23rd December (although I visit the restaurant and spa every time I'm home for holidays) and I was blown away by the views of the beach and the mountains, by the excellent service and the cosy rooms.

Check-in was pleasant and we received all the information we needed for our first stay. The bedroom itself was large and the bathroom immaculately clean and modern. The bed was one of the best I've slept on (Second only to the Sofitel St. James London) and was like a giant marshmallow; just what I needed for my first night of relaxation. Later on Sunday evening we decided to dine at the Percy French restaurant where I've been several times and always impressed by the food. On this visit however, there were some issues with menu items not being available and some disappointing food being served. What saved the evening was the absolute fantastic service and recovery by the Restaurant Manager that evening, Eamonn (I believe that was his name). He took on board the feedback and ensured we did not leave without being totally satisfied. He turned around our evening so much that it was a memorable meal because of him and I hope he gets this feedback directly!

I used the gym facilities on both days and was impressed by the equipment, layout, ventilation and facilities available. The Spa is exquisite; spacious, grand and welcoming. I indulged in a full body massage on Sunday which was divine. It had me more relaxed than I have been in months. I love ESPA treatments and products in general but the ladies here make the experience so great because of their friendly service and attention to detail.
Late evening, we had tea in the Chaplin lounge with the loveliest Christmas music and were offered little tray bakes to accompany the teas - such a lovely little touch.

Breakfast in the morning was hearty and tasty with all sorts of wonderful offerings made. The best porridge (with whiskey if one so desired) and guiness bread. The team were so accomodating to my allergies and made a special order for me accordingly. In actual fact, I found all the F&B teams fantastic in every outlet.

Our check-out was so friendly, warm and engaging that it topped off a wonderful stay that made me feel such a special guest and I'm already planning my next trip back.

This is what hotels should be all about; making the guest feel amazing; like nothing is too much trouble and recovering poor situations into memorable moments. I am so proud to be from North Ireland and being able to highly recommend this kind of hospitality to any of my friends, family and colleagues.

Well done to all the team at Slieve Donard and thank you for making the start of my Christmas holidays so wonderful!

Room Tip: A sea & mountain view room tops it all off!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed December 19, 2012

What an unexpected delight to have enjoyed this historic beauty when all we came here for was the golf! The huge hot tub overlooking the Irish Sea, the nicely furnished "resort rooms" we stayed in, the bar to the left for your party to gather before going out to dinner, and the huge breakfast were all the little details that made the stay all the more special.

• Stayed August 2012
General_Manager_JT, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa.

I am glad to hear that your stay was made special by the beautiful view and large breakfasts served during your visit.

I hope that you will come back and stay again when you are next in the country.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
#9 of 18 in Newcastle
Cherryhill Lodge
Cherryhill Lodge
#1 of 18 in Newcastle

Been to Slieve Donard Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!