“Lovely Hotel”

Slieve Donard Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Spent the weekend here and was very impressed by not only the surroundings, view but the staff were great, very friendly and helpful. The Spa was great altough the pool water was a little on the cool side for my liking, but very refreshing. The restaurant was good, the food delicious and well served and I loved the harpist playing in the background. The only thing I was disappointed with was the cocktails in the loung bar, there was far too much ice in the glass, more ice than liquid and it diluted any taste and flavour in the cocktail. They are not cheap either so, please less of the ice!

We had a room on the 4th floor and it was lovely, very comfortable beds, although the bathroom was a bit cold it was nicely presented. One thing we did not expect was our ghostly vistor at 4.30 in the morning! gave my mum a ell of a scare! but didnt detract from a great weekend.

I would recommend this hotel for a weekend break, you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose room 459 if you like ghostly visitors in the night, but dont worry he doesnt do any harm!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
General_Manager_JT, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for your review of the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa.

Thank you for your kind words on the surroundings of the hotel and our hardworking staff. I am glad that you find your stay to be memorable and will pass your comments regarding the delicious meal you enjoyed in the Oak Restaurant on to the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.

I have noted your suggestion to have less ice in the cocktails in Chaplin's Bar and will certainly share this with the Bar Manager.

I was very surprised to read that you had a ghostly encounter in your room on the night of your stay as we have never heard of any such incidents in the past. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I once agin would like to thank you for your review and hope that you will return to the hotel in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,122)

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Just back from a wonderful spa break at the fabulous Slieve Donard hotel and spa. Hotel in perfect setting, friendly staff, fantastic spa facilities, soooooo relaxing! Perfect location for long beach walks and mountain treks. Spa was the ultimate in luxury with a breathtaking view from the poolside. Sip n sizzle at Percy French restaurant was great value for money. Would highly recommend it and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Resort rooms, views overlooking the sea are beautiful
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angela H
General_Manager_JT, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa.

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate your kind words regarding the hotel and Spa facilities and hope that you will return in the near future.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

beautiful hotel in an amazing setting staff were friendly and helpful the spa has a large pool gym jacuzzi steam room and sauna well kept and very clean the bedroom was good with views of the sea and mountains kingsize comfortable bed again well kept and very clean
the oak restaurant what a disappointment we had booked our meal for 6.30pm starter did not arrive until 7.10pm my wife had the pate which was tasteless i had the soup which was ok after another 30 minutes the mains arrived my wife had the lamb which arrived on a cold plate luke warm and so tough it was inedible i had the salmon which again arrived on a cold plate luke warm and tasteless spoke to the restaurant manager and sent back both meals he did offer us another choice but by this time we declined his offer the desserts arrived my wife was taking no chances and ordered the fruit salad to be on the safe side i had the cheesecake which again was tasteless very disappointing
we could not fault the restaurant staff but there is something seriously wrong in the kitchen
the restaurant manager took the price of the wine off the bill as an apology
the breakfast next morning was first class

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank colin m

Thank you for your review of the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa.

It is always encouraging to receive such kind words about the hotel and Spa and hope that in spite of your concerns with your evening meal that you enjoyed your stay. I have noted your comments on the food served and will discuss them with the Head Chef on order to identify any areas for improvement. I would like to apologise if this meal did not meet our usually high standards and assure you that we will endeavour to ensure there are no further occurrences of this nature.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Hotel in beautiful picturesque surroundings ... Mountains to the right and sea to the left .... Very impressive facade to this hotel. Staff very helpful and friendly. Bar area has been newly
refurbished and very tastefully done with a lovely ambiance. Fantastic selection for breakfast . Mobile phone signal within the hotel hit and miss because of area ... Was disappointed that although there for a business convention and a paying guest the wifi was not free which I would have expected in a four star hotel ... Petty I know but just a point with travelling nationwide through work.

Room Tip: Ask for room to front of hotel with promenade view that way you get both the mountains and the sea
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
General_Manager_JT, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

I am glad that you had an enjoyable time at the hotel and hope you will return soon.

Thank you for your feedback on the mobile phone signal and the Wi-Fi access. We are currently in the process of installing free Wi-Fi in some areas of the hotel which we believe will benefit both our business customers and guests.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed only one night in this lovely hotel - wish we could have stayed longer. Friendly reception, well-appointed suite, great breakfast - absolutely no complaints except for the weather (the next day.) Because Sleve Donard is a 5" walk from the center of Newcastle, we wandered around the town, stopping in a pub before returning for dinner at the Percy French bistro (the other dining option connected to the hotel.) Good ambiance and food there. We went to Newcastle for golf but discovered a lovely village/great accommodations that would be an excellent place for a return visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beatrice189

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa.

I enjoyed reading your view and I am glad to hear that you found staff to be friendly and that your room was well-appointed. It is also refreshing to read that you enjoyed exploring the town of Newcastle and the local area. We are extremely proud of our locality and it is always encuraging to hear that our guests appreciate the scenic beauty of the area.

I look forward to your return to the hotel.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for a night last weekend. We were looking for a chilled out relaxing stay an thats exactly what we got. The hotel is lovely, welcoming, clean and warm! lovely reception area. The fire was blazing on arrival and it gave the place a warm feel to it. We stayed in one of the spa bedrooms. The room was spacious, modern and again very clean. The bathroom (which is always my main look out when away!) was lovely with a really nice rain/power shower and bath. No faults at all with it or the room. bed was comfy and big thankfully, and we had a great sleep. A mini bar might have been a nice touch. We had stayed in another hotel the night before (thats for another review!) and were hugely dissopinted so we were happy this hotel ticked all the boxes. We had diiner in the main dinig room. It was really yum. Lovely spring rolls to start and then lamb, followed by cheese board. Stuffed and content! We then a few drinks at the bar which is lovely area too. Abit annoying that the smoking area is all the way down the other end of the hotel but I suppose thats a personal thing. The next morning we went for breakfast. We hit at the busiest time (5 mins before close!) but everthing was smooth, only a very small wait. Food was lovely, hot, plentiful and plenty of options. They literally cleared everything from 10.05 though so be careful! I then went for a swim in the pool and used spa facilities. Nice pool, lovely jacuzzi, the view out to sea from it is brill. I liked the way we had until 3pm to use all facilities even though check out was 11. Also personal gripe, why 11?! 12pm makes all the difference for me. anyways, We went for a quick walk down to the beach. It was a freezing day so we didnt stay too long. overall a lovely stay and suitable 4 star raing for the hotel. I still think the price is a little expensive in this day for what we got but would go back again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
General_Manager_JT, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa.

I enjoyed reading your review immensely and I am glad that your positive first impression of the hotel lasted the duration of your stay.

Your comments on the food served at breakfast and at dinner in the Oak Restaurant are much appreciated and I will pass them on to the Head Chef.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next stay.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Lovely hotel, very large rooms the breakfast is fab and the views from the spa are beautiful! There are a couple of lovely restaurants on the main street which are very good value as the prices in the hotel are too expensive

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

It is always enjoyable to hear that a guest has had such a memorable stay and I hope that you will return to the hotel in the very near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
#11 of 45 in Belfast
The Mourne Lodge
The Mourne Lodge
#1 of 7 in Kilkeel

Been to Slieve Donard Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!