Slieve Donard Resort and Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$139
Donard Hotel(Newcastle)
$153
$124
Travelocity
3,331 results
All reviewsoak restaurantpercy frenchslieve donardlighthouse loungemourne mountainsvitality poolresort roomsbeautiful hotelsea viewsteam roomirish seaporridgesuperior roomrestaurant managerbuffet stylefirst classhastings hotels
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Lovely hotel, very large rooms the breakfast is fab and the views from the spa are beautiful! There are a couple of lovely restaurants on the main street which are very good value as the prices in the hotel are too expensive

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
General_Manager_JT, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa.

It is always enjoyable to hear that a guest has had such a memorable stay and I hope that you will return to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Just home after spending a fantastic weekend relaxing at the Slieve Donard Hotel. Booking in was simple and quick thanks to the efficient professional reception staff. Our room was upgraded, without asking, and was everything we could have hoped for. A huge comfortable bed, and a settee, excellent clean bathroom - brilliant!
Breakfast is a meal to ooh forward to with a huge selection of hot and cold choices, and again great staff.
The afternoon was spent enjoying the fabulous Spa. We used the well equipped gym, them spent a couple of hours relaxing in the pool, sauna, jacuzzi - so relaxing!
All in all we had a fantastic weekend - cannot wait to get back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa.

I appreciate your kind words and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. I especially enjoyed your comments on your bedroom and the buffet breakfast served in the Oak Restaurant.

I hope that you will return to the hotel in the near future and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night while attending a wedding. The hotel is lovely in a beautiful setting. We had a family room which was very comfortable and very large. The beds were fantastic. Breakfast was very good and there are magnificent views from the dining room. My only negative is that there is a charge of £6 for wifi.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank GraceMay1

I am glad that you enjoyed your time at the hotel. I really appreciate your kind words regarding the setting and rooms.

I have noted your concerns regarding the price of WiFi and I am happy to reveal that we will be installing free WiFi in some of the public areas of the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Just back from a stay here and while the appointment of the hotel and general facilities are hard to criticise, the Oak restaurant is a different matter. The service and quality of the food on Halloween night was scarily poor. Once seated for our 8.30 sitting, we received a menu fairly quickly, but it took 15 minutes before we were able to even order a drink/water as every waiter/waitress in the place seemed intent on rushing (some of them even running) about, but making little progress.
finally got one guy's attention, ordered some wine; asked for a glass of house red and a sauvignon blanc; red was fine, sauvignon blanc was a chardonnay. We were then given a piece of stale 'tomato bread' each to chew on while we waited for our starters. MY king prawn and scallop dish was served on squashed tomatoes and was barely warm, while my wife's goat's cheese was just about okay. main course of ribeye steak (medium) took an age to come and was ridiculously cold with a mere lick of peppercorn sauce and very cold tobacco onions. I requested additional peppercorn sauce and it eventually came 10 minutes later as they were apparently having to make some up, hence the scarcity on the original dish.To be fair, I was asked if I would like some red wine and chicken liver jus which was part of the other steak dish, but I declined on the basis that it mY not mix well with the dram of peppercorn sauce already on the cold steak. My wife's chicken dish wasn't great, served with a potato gratin that was burnt on top and cold throughout. The chicken it came from had presumably led a sad existence as there was more bone than meat. the chocoalte and banana cheesecake slice for desert tasted like mum had been to iceland and the rehydrated-style sliced banana hammered into the top of it was a weird, tooth threatening touch. The sticky toffee pudding, I was reliably informed, was tasty enough, but had perhaps spent 30 seconds too long in the microwave. we declined tea or coffee and retired to the comfort of our lovely room, fairly underwhelmed by the experience. Percy French it is next time.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BelfastHammer74
General_Manager_JT, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

It is disappointing that the service and food in the Oak Restaurant did not meet our usually high standards. I will share this review with the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager so that they can ensure there are no further occurrences of this nature.

It is always disappointing when a guest has not enjoyed aspects of their stay. Please be assured that we will use this review as a tool to improve on the service we provide.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful few days in The Slieve Donard and I must confess I can't find the words to describe it (but I will try.).Firstly we were greeted warmly at reception and given a beautiful room with the most glorious views of the sea and the Morunes .The Oak Restaurant combined superb food with the most attentive yet unobtrusive service imaginable (supplied by Laura Morgan and Mr Slezak.).The breakfasts are little short of legendary and you will need to set aside at least one hour to experience this true delight. Another point that is worth mentioning is the fact that the General Manager, Mr Toner takes time to stop and speak to guests to enquire about their stay and that is something you will not come across often .I must return to the many kindnesses of Laura and count the days to we return.If you are only to stay in one hotel in Ireland make sure it is the Slieve Donard !.

Room Tip: Get a sea view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LimavadyBarry

I am glad that your stay was both memorable and enjoyable. I enjoyed reading your comments regarding the attentive and welcoming service you received from Laura and Ervin in the Oak Restaurant and will certainly pass on your regards.

The breakfast served in the Oak Restaurant is a feature which our guests really look forward to during their stay and I am happy that your experience was positive.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit!