3,574 results
All reviewsoak restaurantpercy frenchslieve donardlighthouse loungemourne mountainsvitality poolresort roomssea viewbeautiful hotelirish seasteam roomsuperior roomporridgehastings hotelsrestaurant managerbuffet stylefirst class
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We have just stayed in the Slieve Donard Hotel in Newcastle Co. Down N.I. and we could not sing their praises high enough.

The things that stand out are:

The magnificent situation beside the sea and Mountains of Mourne.
The friendliness and professionalism of all the staff.
The great atmosphere and classy restaurants and bars throughout the whole hotel.

The spa is luxury itself and the swimming pool and Jacuzzi look out to the sea with large sun beds to relax on.

We will definitely be back and avail of the good winter breaks on offer in the Slieve Donard Hotel.

The receptionists were so polite and accommodating when we were checking in, then the porter helped bring our bags to our room and gave us a really clear explanation of how to get the correct settings on the air conditioner and TV.

The room was perfect, spacious and spotless. Good quality mattresses and pillows all made for a great nights sleep. We stayed on the 3rd. floor and the housekeepers greeted us with a friendly smile in the mornings.

There was a great variety of food at breakfast time, all piping hot as was the tea and coffee.

The hotel has recently refurbished the main bar area to a modern well lit and comfortable area where you can relax and listen to the beautiful piano played by talented pianists.

Without hesitation I would recommend the Slieve Donard. 10/10

As Arnie Swartz would say “I’ll be Back”

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank johnnugent
General_Manager_JT, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2011

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor.

I am so glad to hear that the time spent with us was so memorable. It is always both refreshing and encouraging to receive such high praises as we want to ensure we maintain the highest possible standards. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa in the near future and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing the hotel on this occasion.

Reviewed August 10, 2011

Stayed two nights for my 40th birthday with my wife and had a lovely time. Room was massive and had a nice sea view. Bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in! Service was top notch, very friendly and professional at all times. Pool and sauna gorgeous and spotlessly clean. Dined first night in the Oak restaurant and second in the Percy French. Food delicious both times, but the Percy French much less formal. I would easily recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in Newcastle.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rayd123
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My husband and myself stayed for 2 nights last month, 2 BB and 2 dinner.
At check in we were asked to pay in advance, my husband did so reluctantly as he could'nt understand how the hotel knew what we were going to add to our bill. So needless to say we still had to wait when checking out.
Room very spacious with wonderful view, windowsill in need of painting but the hotel seems to slowly being redecorated. We were very surprised to see such mould in the shower and also there were little incense stick or narrow candle holders sitting on ledge and were obviously dirty. Very disappointing housekeeping. Bed great and very large but pillows were not to our liking, much too soft.
Breakfast buffet, luke warm and greasy, had obviously been sitting some time.
My husband is a coeliac and on a gluten free diet, we gave the hotel plently of notice that we were arriving but in Lighthouse Restaurant,,main Dining Room and at breakfast no gluten free bread could be supplied, until second evening at dinner. Tesco sells this bread and is freezable - therefore no excuse, vegetarians choose not to eat certain foods but my husband is not a coeliac by choice. Unfortunately at dinner one evening my husband was given a non gluten free meal by mistake after being assured it was suitable. We both felt too much responsibility was placed on the very young and pleasant waitresses. We blamed the kitchen as whoever was in charge should have know better than to sent the food.
We still did enjoy our stay but wanted to point out that not all was perfect, as might have been expected.

Room Tip: Very spacious and sea view wonderful.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We had a family reunion last week in Slieve Donard Resort and Spa ( 7 Sisters)
From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly, professional and engaging
The Four Course Dinner in the Oak Restaurant was splendid and service to match
Breakfast what can I say so much choice and to suit everyones tastebuds
The rooms were extremely comfortable and the Spa extremely relaxing and a lot of fun
Value for money fantastic we left after a wonderful experience with the 'WoW' factor

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We stayed at the Slieve Donard on a guys golf trip. The hotel is in a beautiful location, with the ocean out the front door, the Morne Mountain range to the right, and the #3 rated golf course in the world, Royal County Down,out the back door. The room was great, large by European standards. Everything about the hotel is upscale, but not snobby. The lounge off of the lobby looked brand new. The breakfast buffet was huge, with many options. The highlight was the golf course, but I would go back any time just to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends