“Wonderful, picturesque with super friendly hosts !”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newcastle
Tollyrose Country House
Ranked #4 of 18 Newcastle B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed last minute after a tough walk in the mournes and Cooleys. I was absolutely delighted by the comfort of the room. I could not fault the cleanliness (and I am fussy) and neither could I fault the friendliness of Helen and Eamon. Breakfast was faultless. The bed was huge and comfortable and the shower nice and hot even at 10pm- the weiry muscles appreciated this. The 'honesty bar' was also lovely to see. I loved it so much that we are going to stay with the children for two nights in July or August. I read the comment book at the end of our stay and can honestly say that all the comments in the book reflect our posittive experience.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed May 20, 2013

My mom and I stayed at Tollyrose for one night during our recent visit to Ireland. The Bed and Breakfast is very clean and well taken care of and the hosts were extremely friendly and accommodating. We were able to arrive early for check-in and our bags were also held late in the day the next day while we climbed the Mourne mountains before leaving for our next destination. I do not award a 5 out of 5 for the B&B simply because the rooms were somewhat cold, the place has somewhat of a hotel feel to it and the internet cost an extra fee, something that should be made clear on their website.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Tollyrose is across the road from the magnificent Tollymore Forest Park, a real jewel. It's also less than 20 minutes away from Newcastle and Dundrum, with lots of trail heads, sites and the awesome Mourne Seafood Bar in Dundrum (best oysters ever, from Carlingford Lough). Our room was quite small (New York sized, with a bit of give around the bed) and a tiny bathroom. The hosts were wonderful, but you pay a premium for the location. Everything was clean and well ordered, but the hosts kept telling us to go back to Belfast and Bangor for the "sights." It would have been nice to have someone better versed on local walks, including the public pathways that take you through the gorgeous countryside. Cash only, also, a surprise at the end that cleaned us out...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FabiolaPal1
Reviewed April 30, 2013

First class accommodation right on the doorstep of the Mournes. Room was spacious, well appointed and spotlessly clean. Eamon and Helen were first class hosts who did all they could to make my short stay comfortable. Great base for hill walking, golf or relaxing. Location is just under a mile from Tollymore Forest Park close to Bryansford. Breakfast was delicious to get the day off to a great start. Perfect for exploring all the region has to offer. A real gem!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Chose this excellent B&B, as being close to Silent Valley fell race at Kilkeel. Proved a great spot - warm welcome from Helen and Eamonn; cosy but spacious rooms with good facilities and comfortable large beds. . Breakfasts varied, ample and well-presented with excellent scrambled egg. The recommendation of Maghera Inn nearby was a hit with good food and friendly atmosphere. Proximity to Newcastle very handy, especially the craic at O'Hares after the race. Thank you for making us feel so welcome. We'd certainly come back.

Room Tip: Rooms 4 and 5 overlooked peaceful fields and country views
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Fantastic standard of accommodation - very modern rooms/facilities with flat-screen tv, complimentary drink/mini-bar, tv lounge, fantastic breakfast and excellent service from Helen and Eamonn. We had two great night's sleep - also across the road is lovely Tollymore forest park for good walks.

Room Tip: Ask for a large king-size bedroom.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank robtor1
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I recently stayed for three nights at Tollyrose, it surpassed one of the local big name hotels in my eyes, a beautiful room, beautiful Setting near the mountains but still close to Newcastle with all it has to offer. The room was bright and spotlessly clean with all facilities on hand and the owners were on hand but never intrusive and incredibly welcoming and armed with local info if needed.

All in all one of the best short breaks I have ever had, anywhere in the world, I shall be returning in the summer with my family! Ps make sure to include scrambled eggs in your breakfast, they're to die for!

Room Tip: Room six has blackout blinds, I don't think I've ever slept better!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo