“Overall very good but toilets filthy”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Vanilla Restaurant

Vanilla Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 59 Restaurants in Newcastle
Cuisines: Irish, European, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Monaghan, Ireland
“Overall very good but toilets filthy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Ate there today two adults and three kids. Husband had steak which he said was fab and kids had typical chips and chicken. Chips were really good but chicken was very tough. I had cod and chips and it was very good. I always feel clean toilet facilities are a great sign but unfortunately the toilet was filthy and obviously not cleaned in a long time which is very off putting when you are about to eat!!!!

• Visited August 2013
Vanillanewcastle, Manager at Vanilla Restaurant, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Hi Blakers123,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Vanilla on TA.

We are very pleased that you have taken the time to post your comments about your experience with us here in Vanilla. While we are pleased you and your Husband enjoyed your meal with us, we always aim to please every customer. We can only apologise about the kids meals. We would have liked to have had the opportunity to rectify this at the time.

I would also like to apologise for the condition the toilet facilities were in. We are very aware that people judge cleanliness of pubs and restaurants by the condition of the toilets. I can assure you that they are cleaned 3 times daily by hand.

I am unaware of the extent of the unhygienic appearance you encountered. The normal for any given peak period of would be perhaps scuff marks from shoes, and maybe someone drops hand towels. We do try to keep a close eye on it, as there is only one toilet in the building. It is nearly impossible to close for cleaning at any point during service. This happens extensively before and after service.

I would invite you to make contact with me, so I can discuss this further and get to the extent of the problem.

Once again, Thank you for your review, and I would live to hear from you in the near future.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Exceptional food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had a lovey 2 course meal here. Was brilliant value for money. Staff where very attentive. Compliments to the chef for a lovely night out

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Louise F
Hi Louise F,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Vanilla on TA.

All feedback is always well received, this enables us to gauge where we are in respect of our competition. The fact reviewers like your self takes time out to compliment our restaurant is fantastic.

We are very pleased you enjoyed your experience with us and we will hope to see you in the near future.

Best Wishes

gottaluvflying
“SUPERB! DON'T GO CHANGING....IT'S PERFECT AS IT IS!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband & I called in here for lunch today while on a visit to Newcastle today. We were made very welcome by the young waitress & she took the time to explain which of the dishes she would particularly recommend, given that we had said we were both extremely hungry after quite a long drive. My husband opted for the creole chicken burger, which is a lot more delicious & interesting than it sounds! It's a very tender, plump piece of chicken fillet served with salami, goats cheese, tobacco onions & comes with a side serving of chips (which are dry, crisp & very yummy!) He said it was one of the most unusual, delicious chicken burgers he has ever tasted. In fact, it wasn't so much like a chicken burger as a very flavoursome, delicious, unusually tasty chicken fillet with oomph!
I went for the chicken wrap dish which was also utterly delicious & packed full of taste & flavour. There were all kinds of different tastes...mango, a curried slaw & a sizeable piece of succulent white chicken cooked in a crispy tempura batter & all inside a very tasty wrap.
We had a latte each to finish & even these were better than the average latte you get in most places these days. Rich, smooth & made with just the perfect amount of milk & served with a delicious shortbread biscuit. The perfect end to a perfect meal!
We can highly recommend Vanilla in Newcastle & are already planning our next visit! It really was THAT good. We have visited other places to eat while we've been there & this place really is the best so far. They fully deserve their place at No.1 on Trip Advisor & if they continue to keep up these excellent high standards of superb food well cooked & presented & with very pleasant, helpful & friendly staff then there's absolutely no reason why they shouldn't stay at No.1 for a long time to come.
Cannot recommend highly enough! Well done to the young chef....you are to be commended on your choice & use of unusual taste & flavour combinations. They really work! We'll be back!

Hi Gottaluvflying,

I normally start these responses thanking our customers for their review, but all I can say here is wow. This is by far one of the most detailed reviews and most complimentary myself and the team at Vanilla have read in a long time.

We cannot thank you enough for the time and effort you have gone into with this review. You have covered every aspect of your experience in the most complimentary way. Every member of the team has read this review and felt the same about it, and there is no amount of thanks that can replenish the time you have put into it.

We will hope to see you again in Vanilla in the near future.

Antrim
“Defo Worth A Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Ate in here with a group of friends recently and it was to die for!! I can honestly say I haven't had a nicer steak in a LONG time!! portion sizes were very good also! The meal deal is very good value, unfortunately the night we were in it was a very warm evening and none of the starters tickled my fancy! I had planned on getting a dessert but the main course were just sooo good I didn't have any room!! will most certainly be back!!

1 Thank MyKingdom
Hi MyKingdom,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Vanilla on TA.

We are very pleased and grateful of your kind scores and comments about the restaurant. We are more thankful for your custom and the time you have taken to post your comments on this forum.

We will hope to see you in the near future, and maybe you will be able to stretch to that starter or dessert you missed. Thanks again.

Kelowna, Canada
“So glad we chose Vanilla”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

During a recent day trip to Newcastle we were walking along the main street thinking of heading to Percy French. My wife liked the look of the menu at Vanilla so we headed in. The menu inside wasn't quite the same as outside for some reason, but more than enough to choose something we liked. We chose off the Early Bird menu, two courses for £15.95. I had the squid and beef salad to start, excellent, really well done and very interesting flavours. My wife had the spring rolls to start, excellent. I had the baked cod for main, again excellent and I can be fussy about fish. Any bones and I am off fish for weeks, but this was very nicely done, real melt in the mouth. Jill had the roast chicken and it was also excellent. One child had the chicken goujons and hoovered it, the other had creamy pasta and wasn't a massive fan. I wouldn't hold it against the pasta though, he was trying to branch out I think. Service was excellent, my 7 and 8 year old boys were happy with the lovely waitress. All in all, an excellent choice, and the range of flavours suggested that the chef really knows what he is doing and is prepared to offer taste combinations a little more interesting than the standard fare. Would definitely go back.

1 Thank P_J_M_J_8
Hi P_J_M_J_8,

Thank you for your kind review, and more importantly thank you for choosing Vanilla.

We are all very pleased of the detail that you have gone into with your review. Also the fact you and the family enjoyed your experience with us is a great bonus.

The majority of our staff are parents and do find it rewarding when children come into the restaurant. It is sometimes quite difficult to cater for kids, we do aim to keep them as happy as possible so mum & dad can enjoy their meal. In regards to the menu outside the restaurant, we are sorry that you maybe opted for something on it and then had to change your mind. The menu is a collection of sample dishes we have done in the past and plan to do in the future, unfortunately it is impossible for us to change it every time we change our menu inside as we try to vary it as often as possible.

We are very pleased with your feedback and will hope to see you and your family in the near future.

Best wishes.