“A very enjoyable stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newcastle
Enniskeen Country House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Appleton, Wisconsin
“A very enjoyable stay”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Beautiful views of the Mourne Mountains. Great service by all the staff--Eileen, Ian, and Margaret. One night when we got back after meal time they fixed us a great cheese plate. Drinks in the bar area and chatting with staff and other guests was a lot of fun. Close to Belfast, so you can make a day trip easily. We would definitely stay again if we are in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Diana S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
n.ireland
Reviewed October 13, 2013

It's soo nice to stay somewhere that has such a different feel from the typical chain hotel. We loved the decor, it's quirky and charming. If you want 'Ikea style' modern furnishings with burgers and chips on the menu then book yourself into a Premier Inn or the likes; the Enniskeen is not a high volume/quick turnover type of place. It has a quiet but central location with spectacular views and great hospitality from every single member of staff. Okay so it might be labeled 'old fashioned' but it also has modern conveniences like flat screen tv's and free wifi in all the rooms.

I have to disagree with a previous reviewers comments re the standard of food. We are a young couple and fairly picky when it comes to eating out. We had lunch and dinner at the hotel and enjoyed both meals, no problems with over boiled, non gravy dishes for us! The breakfast was especially nice, with plenty of choice and it's all served promptly and by friendly staff.

We walked into the centre of Newcastle (20 mins) and Tolleymore Park (10mins), there's also a bus route so you don't necessarily need a car. We also took the River Trail which meanders through the hotel grounds, just lovely.

Would certainly recommend if you're on a 'child free' mini break like we were. It's a fabulous setting, soo quiet and yet within easy reach of Newcastle with its bars, shops and restaurants.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tewe100
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We come to Ireland every year and, having stayed in all parts, Enniskeen is among our top three favourites. From the moment of arrival we were made to feel personally welcome as the owner whisked our bags from us and showed us to our stunning, beautifully clean room with 260º views of the Mourne Mountains; then Eileen, the epitome of fine hotel managers, showed us to dinner and we were straight into a memorable 5 day stay. This is a family enterprise who care for their guests so that they come back year upon year: "I remember running down that bank when I was a child," said one "and now my children do too." You will hear many fond stories of holidays at the Enniskeen. The meals are good quality and plentiful after a day in the mountains and the Guinness is perfection. The weather was perfect throughout our stay and made the best of this unique location - but even in dull weather outside you will return to real warmth when you come home to the Enniskeen.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Eileen J, Front Office Manager at Enniskeen Country House Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for your valuable comments on your recent stay. Your views widen our knowledge base and empower our team of staff.
It is great to know you had a wonderful stay and this supports our efforts for confidence and consistency of high standards in all departments.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed earlier this month and I have to say that yes it was like stepping back into the 1970s but I loved it. Rooms were clean and I had a lovely big bath in my room which I prefer to a shower. All staff were friendly & helpful especially Eileen & Ian. Would definitely stay again next time I am back in that part of Ireland.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed for the weekend on 7th & 8th September after finding hotel on the web and can't praise the service offered by the lovely Eileen (both before and after we arrived), Ian behind the bar, the waiters... and the housekeeper who rescued my friends key she'd locked in her room with a smile & a joke!
Having seen some of the reviews on here, yes the hotel may not have been refurbished last week, but our rooms were spotlessly clean and it's a beautiful grand building with magnificent views and the real and genuine hospitality offered by everyone we encountered was second to none. We had dinner in the hotels restaurant with friends on our first night which couldn't be faulted. If you're looking for a stay with lovely, real people who actually seem to care about who's staying with them then this is the place for you!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MARTIN08091963
Eileen J, Front Office Manager at Enniskeen Country House Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
We greatly appreciate you taking the time to review your stay at the hotel.We are very happy to know your expectations of quality and service were fulfilled.Our staff team will strive to ensure standards are upheld and we look forward to your next visit .
Omagh, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife, my daughter and I booked a meal in the Enniskeen Country House Hotel on the 11/8/2013 at 7.00pm and proceeded into the bar where we served by the loveliest old gentleman man behind the bar who took our drinks order. It then went downhill from there. We gave our food order to the waitress which consisted of "Chicken & Ham for my wife", "Pork Fillet for myself" and a spare plate for my daughter as she is only twelve and doesn't eat big portions. We also ordered sides consisting of chilli potatoes, chips, veg of the day.
Now when we went into the restaurant, it was like walking into the 1960s which is nice if your over 70 years of age and the food is reflected in this. My pork came without gravy and was very dry and as did my wifes chicken, so we had to order gravy and in all my years of dining out, I've never heard tell of this. When we got the bill we found out that we had to pay for all the side orders and even the gravy. The side orders of chips and chilli wedges were like the frozen ones you buy in Asda. My daughter ordered a dessert which was nice.
To surmise, if you are in your 70s and like food the way it was prepared in the 60s then this is the place to eat but then thats what you get for a 2 star hotel, big prices and poor quality, sorry but I say it as I see it...

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank RFaulkner101
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I booked to stay here in July many weeks ahead. Then 3 weeks before I learned I could not go due to receiving that date for a long awaited hospital appointment. I called on receipt of letter to cancel, which in my view is fair notice for an establishment to re-sell the accommodation.
They then took money off my VISA for cancelling.
Extremely disappointing considering notice given and circumstances.
4 telephone call later, they refuse to refund. Very disappointing levels of goodwill considering the circumstances.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mc20132013
Eileen J, Front Office Manager at Enniskeen Country House Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Your opinion is very valuable to us and we are grateful that you have afforded your time to share your views.We accept reservations for accommodation and request card details as a guarantee, at that point we turn another guest away for your room on the strength of your booking.
Unfortunately, if a guest needs to cancel a reservation made they will forfeit a non refundable booking fee on the card, and they are advised of this at the time of booking.
If it is possible to transfer a booking to another date then this cancellation fee can be avoided!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
Slieve Donard Resort and Spa
St Patrick's Stream
St Patrick's Stream
#12 of 18 in Newcastle

Been to Enniskeen Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!