“Breath Taking”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The River Mill B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Downpatrick
The River Mill B&B
Ranked #5 of 10 Downpatrick B&B and Inns
Netherlands
“Breath Taking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

I travelled with my husband and 11 year old daughter to Downpatrick for a wedding and we couldn't have picked a better to stay!! The River Mill is breath taking! We were so happy to see it after our long journey. It is hidden just off a tree lined road, and it has been restored beautifully. The inside of the building has a warm contemporary feel - devine! Theresa and Aidan were there to greet us with freshly baked bread and a pot of tea before showing us to our room. We opted for the family room. It was modern, spacious and so clean! The wet room is a beautiful touch. From the breakfast room, you can see the river, vegetable and flower garden - they even had a hammock! - so peaceful and relaxing it really is something else. Theresa and Aidan offered a wide selection of cooked breakfast options as well as cereal and fresh fruit from the garden -We were lucky the strawberries were in season! We decided to extend our stay and my husband enjoyed the near by golf course while my daughter and i shopped and visited the local museum. The owners had lots of information on the surrounding area and our final days were packed with a trip to the beach and site seeing around the National trust parks which my daughter particularly enjoyed. I was sorry to leave the mill to go back to my busy life and will definitely revisit.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Rivermill, Owner at The River Mill B&B, responded to this review, November 7, 2010
It was an absolute pleasure to have you to stay we hope you come back soon and enjoy more strawberries. Thank you for a fantastic review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

The river mill is a stunning converted property in beautiful surroundings and the ideal place to stay if exploring the southern coastal area of Northern Ireland. We were really impressed when we arrived by the house itself and how friendly and welcoming the hosts were. We were treated to coffees and homemade breads and cakes on arrival which was very welcome after our journey from St Albans. Our room was large (the biggest of any B and B we've stayed at), spotlessly clean and perfect for our needs. The breakfasts each morning were also delicious and home made. They also helped to plan our trip and were great at advising where to walk and which places to visit. This is well worth a stay if visiting the area.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Rivermill, Owner at The River Mill B&B, responded to this review, July 8, 2010
How very kind of you to take the time and effort to give us such a glowing review. It was a pleasure to have you as guests and you are very welcome back anytime
Thank you.
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

Myself and my partner stayed her whilst visiting the area last month and could not have enjoyed it more! beautiful surroundings, warm and welcoming hosts and delicious home cooked foods. Thoroughly enjoyed our visit and at really good value for money, we'll definitely come back if in the area again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Rivermill, Front Office Manager at The River Mill B&B, responded to this review, July 6, 2010
Many thanks wonderful guest welcome anytime
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2010

We arrived later than we thought due to car trouble, however we were greeted warmly. We happily tucked into the hot homemade scones and tea offered to us when we arrived. The rooms were lovely really clean and fresh. My teenage grandchildren were delighted to get on the internet as there is free wirless a big bonus. We were also offered the use of a wii for their entertainment. In the morning we were offered a choice of breakfast, I had the Ulster fry it was really delicious the grandhildren and my son in law opted for the homemade pancakes and bacon. My son in law wanted to play golf and was spoiled for choice with Ardglass Bright and Royal Co Down all close by. My grandchildren had a great time in Tullymore Park at foot of the mountains of Mournes.We stayed 3 nights and each day we stayed we were shown kindness, offered local advice with a variety of maps and information. There are little details in place here that I before now I have only seen offered in 5 star hotels. The shower room is heaven. If you are going anywhere in Co Down stay here you will be made to feel very special as me and my family were and cant wait to return.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Rivermill, Owner at The River Mill B&B, responded to this review, July 25, 2010
Hope you will be back this way again soon thank you for a great review
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2010

My wife and I booked here for one night to attend a wedding in the area. We stayed for two. When we stepped inside, the first words my wife uttered, were, "Oh my God" She just fell in love with the place at once. Our hosts, Theresa and Aidan quickly made us feel at home with tea and warm soda bread. Our bedroom was excellent and the bed itself so comfortable. We had everything we needed,including TV, tea making facilities, and wifi access. (if only I'd brought my laptop) I could have lived in that wet shower!! The house itself, an old refurbished mill, is hard to describe in a way that would do it justice. If you want a few days away with peace and quiet, then I urge you to visit and see for yourself. I promise, you wont be disappointed. J and F Belfast

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Rivermill, Owner at The River Mill B&B, responded to this review, July 25, 2010
It was a delight to have you to stay thank you for a wonderful review
Whithorn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2010

I didnt know what to expect as I didnt make the booking. I dont often stay in B&B's and was perhaps think back to old memories of family holidays. This visit completely changed my thinking. Not only was the accommodation superbly renovated, spacious and welcoming but the hosts hit just the right spot being friendly and interested yet leaving us enough space to do our own thing. The rooms were spacious and airy - the wetroom shower was to die for and the bed was really comfy, just what you need after a day of exploring and meeting lots of people. I have already recommended it to my friends and collegues and really wanted to spread the word further so have put this review online.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Rivermill, owner at The River Mill B&B, responded to this review, April 8, 2010
Hi
what a glowing praise you gave us Thank you for taking the time and effort it really means a lot to us.
Look forward to having you as a guest anytime.
SW Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

After spending five days trying to find good quality and affordable accomodation for myself , my partner and our travelling companion.. I came across the River mill web site.. I phoned and booked straight away.. There is no charge for single occupancy.. which was great and a main selling point... when we arrived we were warmley welcomed by Aiden and Terrasa.. who had baked a batch of fresh scones for our arrival.. topped off with home made jam.. Still warm out of the oven.. We were shown to our rooms, both situated on the ground floor.. Lovely kingsize beds DVD free view tvs and kettle with all the usual.. Kitkats too! The Wet room is great..i wanted to spend ages in the shower..hot water and good pressure.. We could not have asked for a more welcoming and comfortable place to stay.. We chickened out of the fry for breakfast..but enjoyed fresh toasted soda's,pancakes,wheaten and toast.. along with fresh orange.. to start the day... The free Wifi access was a bonus.. we were set up and on the net within the minutes... All in all if you are going to stay anywhere in NI stay here even if it's only for a short break..There is also a herbalist and therapist living next door..so you can really unwind at the Water mill... There are great pubs close by that are worth eating out in too.. Paddys barn at Saul..if you want to try antelope or crocodile! We will be back.. This B&B is a little gem.. Good luck to you both.. more power to yer elbow! F

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Downpatrick
Denvir's Hotel
Ringfad B & B
#2 of 3 in Ardglass
Burford Lodge Guest House
Slieve Donard Resort and Spa

Been to The River Mill B&B? Share your experiences!