“Fantastic wedding day - thank you!”
Review of Ballydugan Mill

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Downpatrick
Ballydugan Mill
Ranked #3 of 10 Downpatrick B&B and Inns
Scotland
“Fantastic wedding day - thank you!”
Reviewed October 21, 2010

My husband and I had our wedding reception here in September and had a fantastic day. We arranged almost everything from scotland where we currently live, so were a bit aprehensive about everything coming together, but we couldn't have wished for a better day. Everyone was very helpful, the mill was beautiful and the food was excellent.
My husband's friends and family came from Germany and various locations, so we had wanted something that they wouldn't get anywhere else. They were all commented on how impressed they were, and on how stunning it all was.
If you are looking for a five star modern hotel with luxuries then this hotel probably isn't for you, its quirky, stunning and definitely unique.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Si0bhan01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I went to a family wedding here in June and had a fantastic day. The hotel is full of character - a breath of fresh air amongst the sterile bland trend of chain hotels. The owners were very friendly and went out of their way to make sure the wedding went smoothly. They were also supportive of the bride and groom adding personal touches to the day. The service was held on the ground floor, meal on 1st floor and entertainment on 2nd floor which worked really well and saved any hassle with having to drive. Food was fine and of a standard you would expect at a wedding. Rooms were great, again full of character and charming. I have been to some very dull weddings but this was quirky and beautiful and I have great memories to take away.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Northern Ireland
Reviewed July 20, 2010

This place is stunning! Just a shame that the Mill conversion has been done to a very low standard. At £80 per night B & B it isn't low cost by any means. Staff are impolite and really have no idea of what good customer relations are - they seem to lack the basics of what the hospitality industry is all about - pleasing the PAYING customer.

The rooms are ok if you do not actually require them to sleep in - there are cracks between the walls of the rooms where you can see the light coming in from the adjoining room, the walls - or should I say - lack of walls - are wafer thin. Everything can be heard from the room next door - so if you are looking for a romantic getaway - forget it !!!
The televisions are throw backs from the 80's - no flat screen tv's here!

As for the food - well it just depends what you are used to - if convenience food or tv dinners are what your diet consists of then you should be ok - personally sausages for breakfast that you could bounce off the floor aren't for me.. Eggs were not freshly cooked to order (as pointed out by my very irate partner).

My partner and I travel quite extensively and most minor things can be overlooked but there are just too many minus points at this establishment for us to be able to recommend it - our advice would be to avoid Ballydugan Mill at all costs!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank honeyNorthernIreland
BELFAST
Reviewed July 5, 2010

A beautifully and tastefully restored building,that is complimented by those who run the place,giving it a homeliness and unquestionable Irish charm.Attended a wedding here recently and would say its easily the best wedding venue i've been too, in terms of the 3-tiered setup,the great customer service, and absolutely gorgeous and classy cuisine that was served throughout the day, . The happy couple were allowed to give the day that personal touch that many venues would not so willingly accomodate. Hope to get invited to another wedding there soon to be honest!!An amazing day,top marks and kudos to the owners, a definite recommendation.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank THEGODSHONEST
belfast
Reviewed July 1, 2010

We went to to family wedding on the June 19th at the Mill, and what a brilliant day it was. Love was in the air, the sun was shining and the Mill was just the perfect spot. The wedding service was intimate and personal, the gorgeous courtyard provided the perfect mingling area, the food was excellent, and the staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was great. Not that we slept much! As the Mill was exclusively for the wedding guests most of us were kindly allowed (by Noel the owner) to party into the wee hours. Everything a wedding should be. The day was a testament not only to the hard the work of the bride and groom, but also to Noel who has lovingly restored this superb buliding. I was just so happy and appreciative to be part of this very special day. Well done everyone.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank lola-thom
The Port
Reviewed June 27, 2010

I recently had the pleasure of attending The Mill for my friends wedding. Both myself and everyone in my immediate company had a wonderful day with the food being the best I have ever tried at a wedding. The staff were also very freindly and I would definitely reccomend The Mill at Ballydougan to anybody. Thanks for a great experience...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
NornIron
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Stayed here and the venue is lovely, the weather was great. Whilst reading previous reviews posted, I also had a long wait on getting our room organised, nearly 30 minutes. The food was tasty, but there could have been more of it, I ordered prawns and they were frozen, there seemed to be a long wait between starters and main course.
After a few drinks in the evening, we retired to bed, but didn't get to sleep for ages, as the walls are paper thin, you can hear everything going on in the adjoining rooms, even people going to the toilet.
I would not recommend this Guest House/Hotel to my friends to stay over in.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LornaDougan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Downpatrick
Denvir's Hotel
#5 of 16 in Newcastle
Number Nine Bed and Breakfast
Number Nine Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 10 in Downpatrick

Been to Ballydugan Mill? Share your experiences!