“The Wonderful MILL”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ballydugan Mill

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Downpatrick
Ballydugan Mill
Ranked #2 of 10 Downpatrick B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“The Wonderful MILL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

We had our wedding reception at the Ballydugan Mill on the 27thof August 2011. Our day could not have gone any better. The first time I set eyes on this magnificent venue I knew I wanted our special day hosted here. It has a very homely feeling about it; it is a family run business and over the course of our wedding celebrations we were welcomed by all of the family. The venue has a unique and authentic feel created by the preservation of the original features of the building - the stonework and the wood - which was my favourite thing about the venue. This is enhanced by subtle modern decor in the rooms which makes it a very comfortable place to be in.
We had the marriage registration on the ground floor dining room by the wonderful fire place. The food was amazing and the menu was customised for us, from the canapes to the evening buffet and nothing was too much trouble. Having everything done in one magnificent location was entirely suited to our needs as we had guests travellling from all over the world and it was easy to coodinate the day without the hassle of organising transport. All our guests commented on how wonderful the place was; clean, warm and with a magical rustic feel about it. Once everyone arrived, they stayed in the same location the whole time and many of them were able to stay overnight in the venue as well.
I met the owner Noel and his daughter Mary a year before the wedding and I got the feeling they could not do enough for us. They did an amazing job. They were extremely professional, but very friendly and warm at the same time. You get the feeling that you are being looked after by good friends. Mary was our coodinator for the wedding day and she was reliable and unflappable; she was always easy to reach, made helpful suggestions and catered to all our requests. We met several times before the wedding and we were also introduced to the marvellous chef to discuss our requirements with him directly.
The rooms are spacious, very comfortable and clean and we saw several of them as we filled them with our guests. The accommodation is split across two buildings and the Granary would be an ideal location as a base for exploring the area if considering a longer stay in the area; many of the rooms are modern self-contained apartments allowing for independence and many are suitable for families too.
Several weeks on our guests are still raving about the magnificent wedding that we had and this is greatly down to the setting at the Mill. When we set out to plan our wedding, we decided to concentrate on 3 key elements - food, people and location - and the Mill made all 3 perfect for us. This is a wonderful memory i will live with all of my life.

Kelvin Kasapatu & Kelly-Anne(Wylie) Kasapatu.

Room Tip: all the rooms are great, we saw all of them, but we got the bridal suite...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kelvinks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Dungannon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

I attended my son and daughter in laws wedding here yesterday 24th sept! What a day. Fabulous private location ours for the day. The service food and attention we got was 1st class. Noel Maureen and staff couldn't have done anymore to make this a perfect day. If u want to feel special on your wedding day this is the place to go. A unique location but with a homely feel. Guests all agreed it was the best wedding meal they ever had. All 100 guests in complete agreement!! How many venues can promise that? Thank you to all at the mill for giving us a truly unique experience and the most perfect day. Memories to treasure.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank D0lly50
Downpatrick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

We had our wedding Service and Reception at the Mill on 25/08/11 and it was a great day.
Maureen and her staff from the moment we booked this venue where nothing but friendly and helpful and everything went to plan.
The location, service and food where all excellent and all our guests commented on this.
Some of our guests as well as ourselves made use of the accommodation which we found to be very good and in the morning where once again greeted with friendly staff and an excellent breakfast.
We want to thank Maureen and her staff at the Mill for a great day, and we will be back in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Athlone, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

My wife and I attended a wedding reception here and spent the night.

Good points: We were pleased on arrival with the character of the restored old Mill and were greeted by a lovely warm open fire.

The food was at the reception was excellent , top quality, (ok at breakfast) the best I have had at any Irish wedding and i have been to many in 5 star hotels.

The rooms were quaint and rustic in appearance and parking was available on site. Car would be necessary as little bit of of town.

Now sadly the bad stuff. Generally speaking I could sum up this hotel with the following statement: "the guest was lucky to be allowed in". This old-fashioned approach to customer service was most disappointing. My wife and i were treated like we were on a school trip because other relatives were also staying. As far as i was concerned I was attending as a couple in our own right and not a youth group. We were then expected to pay upfront, the discouned £80, as if we had intended to do a runner in the morning. I was then stunned to find out that 1030 was apparently "fair enough" as a check-out time because "they had another wedding the next day". Not my problem. 12pm is the norm.

At the wedding reception itself i nearly got the head bitten off me for signalling to the waitress i wanted another wine glass at the table (during the speeches). A look of disdain was the return with a begrudging glass following. (Another guest had used two glasses - not my fault).

The walls were paper thin so privacy was at a minimum in terms of even conversations from adjoining rooms.

The cleaning staff arrived up early the next morning and the vibe was very much "time to go". The breakfast had the same vibe and we did not go down well for arriving at 5 mins to 10 for our fully cooked breakfast which was missing my much loved and very traditional potato bread!

Generally speaking it appeared that the hotel was short-staffed and the negative vibe had been instilled at a top-down management level. It is a pity becuase i have to say it did tarnish my stay.

I have stayed in hotels right throughout Ireland and have come to assume as normal to have my room under my own surname (not my first name), paying on exit and heaven forbid lying on in bed on a Saturday morning a little bit.

If they adopted the approach of "you are very welcome what can I do for YOU" I am confident this hotel will last.

Pity because the food at the wedding was great and the setting was full of character! But poor service and silly "rules" spoiled the atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank niallgRoscommon
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

After reading the review from MOO698 i feel compelled to write this review. We have just returned from a 4 day stay at The Mill and i have to say how at home we were made to feel...
The building itself is amazing and the owners have preserved it to a unique standard.
The rooms were lovely, very clean, plenty of towels, tea and coffee just what you would expect from any hotel.
We also stayed in The granary building and have to say these rooms are amazin ... soo spacious but yet WARM.
All the staff were so friendly. Even when the place was so busy they still had smiles on their faces and were so pleasant.
We had been out sightseeing most of the Friday and Saturday and when we returned both of the evenings there were weddings being held. We were made very welcome into the bar by Mr and Mrs Killen (the owners) where we all sat around the large open fire and chatted for most of the evening. We had a lovely time with them. Even some of the staff joined us when they had finished their duties.
The meals that we had and the breakfast were great and we found the menu great value for money. Quantity and Quality what more can you ask for.
I have to say to anyone reading this to disregard the experience that MOO 698 had as he must have been staying in a completely different hotel to us
To the management and staff of Ballydugan Mill we say a BIG THANK YOU and we will definitley be back hopefully sooner rather than later. You were all so friendly and courteous to us during our stay and nothing was too much trouble for any of you. Thanks again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlMack69
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

My husband and myself stayed at The Mill in Ballydugan on the 1st July 2011, it was our 1st wedding anniversary. We knew we had to return there as we had been married there the previous year. The welcome we received was second to none, the owners and the manager Maureen recognised us. To us this meant a lot. As previously they could not have done enough for us, the were polite and professional.

I planned my wedding venue for almost a year and looked at so many wedding venues, I thought off going aboard, getting married in my home town (Dublin) and so many other areas, but when I set my eyes on The Ballydugan Mill, I was taken aback with its beauty and its scenery.

As mentioned in a previous review about poor quality at this venue, 'I WOULD STRONGLY DISAGREE' The hotel itself is off the highest standard, I have travelled to many different countries and stayed at many different hotels, but none of them compare to the comfort and that The Mill provides.

I highly recommend this venue, for any special occassion or even to pop in for a meal. The service is brillant and the Management and staff are top grade.

We will be back next year, and we wish to thank the Killen Family, Maureen and the staff, for a very pleasant stay.

Brenda & Jay

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Armagh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

We Stayed In The Mill At Ballydugan For A Few Days While We Visited Family In Downpatrick.
I Have To Say That The Staff And Indeed The Owners And Managers Where So Very Helpful During Our Stay. Contrary As To What The Last Couple Wrote, They Could Not Have Been Any More Helpful. Continuously Tending To Our Ever Need. Nothing Was Too Much Bother. We Stayed In The Ground Floor Apartment For Two Nights And The Manager Even Lit The Fire For Us.
We Loved The Old Rustic Look And Asked For A Wee Look Round The Hotel. The Function Room Is On The Second Floor And Too My Surprise Wee Found The Most Beautiful Dance Floor Ever (My Partner And I Do Set Dancing On A Regular Basis). The Hotel Owner Got A Cd Player And Put Misic On For Us To Try It Out And Low And Behold I Felt As If I Where Dancing On Clowds. I Run The Par Olympic Funding Events In Different Venues And After Asking The Manager If She Would Consider Hold Such Events They Said" Yes No Problem" No Hire Charge... Now Hows That.
On Departing The Owner Of The Hotel Waved Us Goodbye And We Promised To Be In Touch Regarding Our Charity Events.
I Love This Hotel And Would Recommend It To Anyone Of Any Age To Stay Here. In The Words Of Arnold Schwarzenegger " We Will Be Back"

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Downpatrick
Denvir's Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portaferry
Number Nine Bed and Breakfast
Number Nine Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 10 in Downpatrick

Been to Ballydugan Mill? Share your experiences!