“Lovely and pleasant experience of staying”
Review of Hillyard House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castlewellan
Hillyard House
Ranked #3 of 4 Castlewellan B&B and Inns
Lisburn, United Kingdom
“Lovely and pleasant experience of staying”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed a week in Hillyard House where we reckoned that is a good location to go anywhere such as NewCastle, BandBridge, Newry, DownPatrick etc. We felt very much warm welcomed; the service was on request right away and not to mention that staffs there were very kind indeed and had almost what we wanted and no disturbance which made us felt like home certainly not wandering with pajamas! lol We have thought of going back in a better season said in summer then it will be totally different scenery and much more exciting!
By the way, the home made scone is worthy of trying for the afternoon tea!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carrie P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Berkeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed just the one night with many members of my family, including elderly Aunties and younger cousins and we all agreed what a wonderful place the Hillyard House is to stay. We will return when back in the area, you could not ask for a better more helpful caring service by all members of staff. They were very understanding to the needs of all the ages of our group.

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012

For the past 3 yrs my husband and I have spent a week in Hillyard House. We had booked the same week this year.
First of all there was no warm greeting and help to our rooms with our baggage. I was then informed that the Managers had left. I was told I could speak to the owner but after asking 3 times, I gave up.
There were no evening meals available. The restaurant wasn't open and the coffee shop closed at 4pm. One day, we decided to have lunch, this took an amazing 52 minutes to arrive after ordering, no we did not have a 3 course meal, it was 2 paninis!
Our room was not cleaned every day and we had to ask for fresh towels and toilet rolls.
We wanted breakfast at 8am and were told 'No, we would have to wait until 8.30am'.
The wonderful banter and chat from the 2 girls that ran the place was gone, the waitresses didn't know what was going on and I couldn't wait to get home.
I will not be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Carol M
HillyardManager, Manager at Hillyard House, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Carol, sorry to read about your disappointing experience.

As you rightly point out the two girls have gone and leaving during peak season left the business struggling.

I have taken over control of Hillyard House since September 1st. For over 20 years I have successfully served my time in the hospitality industry. My plan is to develop the business by opening the restaurant on Saturday and Sunday evenings with a bistro menu. The café will be opened daily from 9am to 5pm on week days and 9am to 6pm on weekends. Our Lady Mabel’s tea room will be open shortly serving Sunday Afternoon Tea.

We are launching a traditional music session on the first Friday of each month and establishing an acoustic music club on a monthly basis.

I can assure you of the upmost cleanliness regarding our accommodation. We have commenced an intensive training programme to ensure that our staff can provide excellent customer service.

Should you be in the vicinity again, please call in for complementary tea or coffee.
Belfast
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I discovered this place totally by accident and have returned there several times- it is situated at the gates of a massive park and is ideal as a base to explore| Meals for under a £5- brillant in these times of austerity! Staff extremely friendly and helpful - I have booked an intimate business strategic planning conference there for March and have got a deal well within budget

Room Tip: Ask for their special deal - two nights bed and breakfast £80 per couple|
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SeanMacEochaidh
Ireland
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I stayed here in August and only came across the place by accident. This represents one of the best "value for money" hotels I have ever visited.
The staff are very friendly and welcoming and cannot do enough for you. I was given a room that was actually a suite but charged at the lower rate. It is not a conventional hotel in that it does not have a full bar or restaurant facilities, though I understand that there is a restaurant in operation at the weekends. There is a coffee bar at the front of the hotel that is open during the day and is very pleasant for whiling away an hour.
The room I had was very comfortable and clean, and also very quiet.
The breakfast was excellent. Again the staff will get you whatever you want for breakfast including the large Irish fry, and, a lesson here for more "salubrious" establishments, a flexible view of when breakfast should be served and not the "7 to 9" mentality

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sharpattack
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We hosted a super family birthday party at Hillyard House. Tea and homemade traybakes in the afternoon, then drinks in the Snug were followed by a walk in the Castlewellan Forest Park. When we returned the beautiful big conference room (see pic) was transformed for a five course dinner. The chef's fish pie was our inspiration for the menu as we'd had it many times before. To suit various tastes we asked him to include beef pie and a choice of three desserts. What a treat!

Thanks so much to Bronagh who took us through the possibilities, arranged a chat with the chef and the baker who listened attentively. Bronagh was available throughout the afternoon/evening to make sure we were satisfied. Her staff made us feel welcome. There were lots of requests for recipes from our foreign visitors. Their secrets are safe, so if you are curious, call in for a taster at the restaurant any day.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank EFTexpertNI
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlewellan
Briers Country House
Briers Country House
#6 of 16 in Newcastle
Donard Hotel
Donard Hotel
#5 of 16 in Newcastle
Slieve Donard Resort and Spa

Been to Hillyard House? Share your experiences!