“Fantastic”

Armagh Astronomy Centre and Planetarium
Ranked #3 of 37 things to do in Armagh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Discover the mysteries of the Universe when you visit this Planetarium's Star-Theatre, where digital projectors allow visitors to time travel through the galaxies.
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Very entertaining and also lots to do. We saw one of the shows which was a trial so it was a first see. Great for adults and children. Was a great day out

Reviewed April 3, 2013

My wife and I stopped at the planetarium on our way back from a hotel stay in Monaghan. The museum itself is okay, but we felt it could be a lot better. Having said that, I am sure kids would love it and the staff were all very friendly and helpful.

The show inside the dome was very interesting and it is well worth going to see one if you are at all interested in astronomy.

There is ample free parking, but today was very busy and at least four people had parked across two bays, which is really not on when there were no free spaces.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I visited this attraction with my wife and kids (13yr old girl and 11yr old boy) on 15 February 2013. This is one of the most interesting and educational attractions in the whole of Ireland. The planetarium show, which is projected onto the inside of the curved surface of the huge dome using the latest projecting technology, has to be seen to be believed. It is a 2D show projected onto a curved surface almost giving the impression of 3D, it is a wonderful sight to see. The show we saw took us in a rocket to every planet in the solar system. After the show we were invited to build a rocket and launch it high into the air using compressed air (supervised by the wonderfully attentive staff) which excited the kids no end! The remaining exhibits include a real meteorite, a scale model of the International Space Station, a section of an actual rocket, an interactive exhibit for younger kids and an astronaut suit as well as oodles of large high quality pictures of space. I had emailed the planetarium previously to enquire about visiting the planetarium with my son, who has special needs. The response I received, and the attention we received when we arrived, was second to none. It was a great opportunity to purchase a light-up moon and glow-in-the-dark solar system from the shop too. The astropark outside is a scale model of the universe which highlights, especially to kids, the scale of the solar system. Whilst I have an interest in science, my wife does not, but we all agreed (including kids) that in terms of information, excitement (particularly the dome-show & rocket-launch!) and fun it was the best attraction we have visited for a long time. Our visit including a a wander around the astropark lasted about 2 hours. Any family visit to Northern Ireland should include a trip to this planetarium, you won't be disappointed.

2  Thank Paddy_Dog_06
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was here in March and expected the same show we had a year ago. I was surprised that there was a new show which was even better than previous years. The young lady who guided us through some extra treats of star gazing had told us Liam Neeson narrated it. Not a big fan of Liam, but his voice and the spectacular effects were a blend made in heaven. I brought over 20 Belfast men down with me and they loved it. The lady who was a history graduate I believe, gave a well informed tour of the exhibits and answered endless questions, What patience she has! Value for money, only downside is the shop which has a limited range of gifts but I still manged to get something. As mentioned by other reviewer, the cafe was closed which lost them 20 teas etc. from our group It is obvious that most of their business is with groups.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

we booked a recent trip here on 23rd February and were rudely dealt with by female member of staff at front desk and then we were not shown were to go to watch our show.