“Like at home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 14 Armagh B&B and Inns
Moscow, Russia
“Like at home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

I stayed in Charlemont Arms hotel this August and it was my best stay in the UK! The hotel staff were extra super kind and friendly! The room was spacious, light and quite, and had a very beautiful view with green hills, dawn and sunset. Breakfast was tasty and substantial. The hotel has its cosy bar and restaurant suggesting lots of various dishes and excellent desserts! So there was no need to look for a place to eat out. The location is ideal: the main bus stop, the tourist information centre, the park and sightseeing attractions are just few steps away. At last the atmosphere inside the hotel is so warm that every time I was coming back to Armagh from Belfast or another place I had a feeling that I was coming back home.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank maria_cossack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

Spent two nights here. The room was good, though weirdly large for its furnishings, and the carpet was getting a bit ragged. Lovely view past the car park and razor wire to the bus station. The service was friendly and exceptionally helpful though, and the full breakfast was good. It's located very conveniently, close to both cathedrals, the Mall, and other attractions.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank drouu
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

I knew this hotel very well 20 years ago when I lived in the town. It wasn't our first choice but due to a mix up on my part and other hotels being fully booked this is where we ended up. I had a laugh to myself that the carpet hasn't been replaced in 20 years and for all I know may have been there 20 years before that.
The entire place and atmosphere is like stepping back in time. We were directed up a couple of flights of stairs, the lift was out of order. The room was okay, it was all a bit tired looking. It wasn't dirty exactly but there was a hair in the bath and a chocolate bar wrapper in the bin. It was roomy enough and had plenty of hangers and space to set things down. There was no information in the room or volunteered by the receptionist about breakfast times. Us being us we were half an hour late but the waitress kindly got us sorted.
If you are considering a stay here be warned it is a rowdy street and the noise went on to after 3am. It was a Saturday night.
The staff were nice, the lady that checked us out the following morning was lovely.
My big gripe is the price, £90 ! A similar pricing structure operates in the nearby ' Armagh City Hotel' which is lovely, spacious, modern, clean and was on this night FULLY BOOKED. Going on the breakfast diners I would guess we were one of three rooms occupied that night. It's far far far too expensive for what it is.
It could be fantastic, it's in such a good position , it has history and is fondly regarded by locals but it's as though time stopped. Get a new carpet and some modern bedclothes and at least look as though you want to justify the cost so you customers don't feel they were robbed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fiona400
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

The Charlemont is is need of refurbishment in the public areas as they are shabby and the bar especially is really dirty. The bedrooms are reasonably clean but the bed and pillows in our room were the most uncomfortable I have ever encountered. There is not a lot of choice of hotels in Armagh so my impression is that the Charlemont management knows that the hotel will have some guaranteed custom so there has been no effort made to upgrade the standard of decor. Thus it is still in the 1970s. That I could deal with, but dirt I cannot so I will not be staying there again or recommending it to anyone. This hotel is missing a huge opportunity - it could be something really special in the heart of a lovely city.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
South East England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

This hotel is very overpriced for what it is. We paid £80 for a double room with breakfast and this was a reduction on the regular rate of £95 (we had a special rate as were part of a wedding party). The hotel was gloomy and in dire need of a makeover. Our room was on the 3rd (top) floor but the lift was out of order. The room itself was pretty average, though a bit gloomy and pokey being in the loft space, and it overlooked the main road so we had road noise. We had to have the (small) window open because it was warm, and so we were disturbed quite early in the morning by street/ traffic noise. The en suite bathroom was poorly finished but functional, though the shower was a bit ropey.
The service was fine and the staff pleasant enough, and the location was good for the city centre. The cooked breakfast was standard fayre.
If it had cost about £50 to £60 a night then that might have been forgiveable. We had stayed in a couple of very reasonably priced good quality hotels and B&Bs in Northern Ireland prior to coming here and were, therefore, quite disappointed.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LucySky99
Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

My husband and I recently held our wedding reception in the Charlemont, and such a good time was had by all. The dinner was cooked to perfection, and the waiting staff were most polite and attentive. The management and staff did everything they could to make sure our day ran smoothly.
We also spent the night at the hotel and we found our room to be very clean and comfortable. In all, we had a most enjoyable and memorable time at the Charlemont, and we would certainly recommend the hotel to any guest who is looking for a fine establishment, in the heart of Armagh city, which serves great food and treats its guests well.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Limerick
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Stayed in this hotel with my sister for 1 night. On checking in the staff member was polite and friendly. The room and in fact the hotel is in need of serious renovation. There were cracks in the walls, peeling paintwork and damaged tiling in the bathroom. Noise can be heard clearly in the room from other rooms/parts of the hotel. We ate that night in the downstairs restaurant and it was an experience both my sister and I wish never to repeat!! Our starter course of Caesar Salad was so drenched in dresssing it was difficult to enjoy but we said nothing and continued on to mains... We both ordered steak, my sister specifically requested well done and said she wouldn't eat it pink..The dinner arrived and when I asked for steak knives the waiter looked like I had 2 heads and said he would see if he could find some..On checking her steak my sisters was too undercooked and pink and asked for it to be cooked some more. It was returned to the table in about 2-3 mins with smoke coming from it. On tasting it had been completely burnt to a cinder as if by a blow torch! She didn't want to complain but I insisted on calling a manager and boy did we regret that! The manger (who we later found out was the general manager of the hotel) arrived to the table with hand on hip and a face like thunder and said "have ye a problem with your steak".. She was very confrontational and told my sister and I that she had tasted the steak herself in the kitchen and it was absolutely fine and that "I suppose it's your word against mine!" Unbelievable! She was very unhelpful and actually quite rude.. My sister was at that stage saying not to bother cooking something else but I could not sit and eat in front of her so I asked for my food to be taken back while my sister had chicken instead and I could have it when her food was ready..The response to this was "Is there a problem with your food now aswell?" She was in no way apologetic and acted as if we had put her out by adressing the matter with her..We tried to be as nice about the whole thing as possible but we were sorry we decided to eat there in the first place. When the food did arrive the 2nd time around it was actually quite nice but it was soured by the events of the previous half an hour. Breakfast was also included in our stay unfortunately! This was served in the grotty upstairs restaurant. On finishing her cereal my sister discovered the remains of someones muesli from the day before welded on to the side of her bowl! Yuck! After waiting about 15 mins in a near empty breakfast room for someone to take our order I chose the scrambled egg and my sister the sausages. The egg looked like something scraped from the inside of the microwave ceiling! After the fiasco the previous night there was no way we were going to subject ourselves to the manageress again! We packed our bags and left! Thankfully it was a 1 night stay! Never again to be repeated!!

• Stayed August 2009
6 Thank JacTJacT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Armagh
Armagh City Hotel
Hillview Lodge
Hillview Lodge
#2 of 14 in Armagh
5.0 of 5 stars 110 reviews

Been to Charlemont Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!