“Loved It”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Armagh
Co Tyrone
“Loved It”
Reviewed March 1, 2007

Stayed here for 1 night myself and my husband. I wasn't expecting much after reading the reviews, but I have to say the reception staff and most other staff were very pleasant and very helpful. The room was beautiful and very clean. We were attending a function and decided to stay over, I would definitely go back and the food that was served at the function was brilliant and served promptly. I would recommend this hotel, and I always find that if you have a problem speak to management and get it sorted.

• Liked — The Rooms were big
  • Stayed February 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank PrivateCoTyrone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Co.Down, N.Ireland
Reviewed August 14, 2006

I recently called into the hotel on a Sunday evening. I had been driving all day, I was tired and my belly was nearly empty. I was looking forward to some nice food and perhaps a relaxing drink or two. Alas, it was not to be. This hotel is weird. So weird in fact, that I decided to write a review.
The Friary restaurant was moderately busy when we arrived, but the first obvious impression I got, was that it was totally lacking in any 'restaurant' atmosphere. The room itself is large with a high ceiling and extremely bright lights (some energy saving flourescent type fittings) all of which were switched on. I felt like I was in a dentist's surgery, waiting for a rather large filling. The second thing I noticed was the lack of any background music. There was nothing playing. This might not sound too serious a complaint, but imagine sitting in a large, cold, very bright room, where you can clearly hear the conversations of all your fellow diners echoing around. It reminded me of a school canteen, rather than a hotel restaurant.
The food was served suspiciously qucikly. My dining partner (a vegetarian) had ordered two starters as a main course becuase the vegetarian choice on the menu was woeful (a single option of chow mein..take it or leave it). Despite this simple request, the two starters were of course delivered as starters with my main course following along later.
My lasagne was dripping with grease and the chips were awful. My partners soup was accompanied by bread rolls which were so hard, that they could easily have been used as defensive weapons.
The dining experience was so unfulfilliing. While paying the bill I was daydreaming that I had made the right choice and went to one of Armagh's fish & chip shops instead.
The bar was lit as brightly as the restaurant (this is nuts!) and clearly the locals have voted with thier feet...there were just half a dozen or so patrons enjoying the freezing cold, bright lifeless bar. My belly was still looking for food so I had decided to get something at the coffee shop in the reception area. A quick look at what was on offer changed my mind. There were several scones which had been pre-buttered and pre-jammed (!!) some low grade muffins in plastic packets (they are stinking, why not sell nice fresh ones as I would have bought maybe 3 of them?) and they were even trying to sell the small packets of shortbread which you get free in the hotel rooms.
I could get this kind of stuff in any petrol station.
Maybe I'm just in a victor meldrew type mood today, but this hotel struck me as bland and soooo lifeless. My wish would be that a hotel like this would really serve the local and visiting populations by settling for nothing less than top class food and really professional service. The Armagh City Hotel has a long, long way to go.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Prunepitplucker
Reviewed April 15, 2006

This hotel is rated as a four star but it isn't. I was very disappointed with the standards. There was no sattelite T.V. as advertised on the website. The rooms are average but the bathroom isn't great. The toiletries are very limited and certainly not adequate for 2 people. The restaurant is not 4 star -no tablecloths hence dirty tables, no atmosphere and reheated food. It is so obvious that the food is reheated as we were served ours only 5 mins after ordering. The staff in the restaurant are nice however. There is an extra charge of £8 for breakfast in bed which was cold. Also our dinner was included in our package which included dessert with tea or coffee. However we were charged an extra £6 because we had cappuchinos instead of regular coffees. A bit much I thought. As someone said earlier it is more like an airport hotel which should have a 3 star rating.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 27, 2006

I stayed in the Armagh City Hotel for 3 days over February for Business.
I arrived to find that they had no record of my booking on the system, even though it was booked thte previous week. It seems that the clerk had neglected to keep the customer bookings up-to-date and the booking was still lying on his/her desk.

After travelling to my room, I found a spacious area with seating, a large bed and a good large bathroom.
However on closer inspection the bed was 2 singles pushed together.

The TV was at least 10 years old and not one channel was tuned to the correct number (BBC1 on 4, Channel 5 on 9, RTE on 19).
Not only that, but no satellite channels worked, with the usual Blue screen appearing informing you of a problem.
The Sky/Satellite channels appeared to be Sky1, CNN and ITV news which is now defunct. No sports channels at all.

Dining and Room service was prompt and pleasant with decent meals and breakfast was excellent.

The rooms were clean and tidy with decent maid service, however the lack of TV and good reception service lowered my opinion of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 25, 2006

I stayed in the hotel with my two children and my husband for a weekend and we really enjoyed it! Our kids loved the pool and plyed for hours in there. The bedroom they gave us was very spacious and could fit 2 adults and 2 kids no problem. Food was fine and there was even a kid's menu. We saw plenty in the area parks, forests ... We would defintely return for another chill out break!

• Stayed December 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 14, 2006

i found armagh city hotel to be one of the best hotels i've ever stayed in. the staff were very friendly & bent over backwards to make sure i had a pleasant stay, the food in the callan lounge & friary restaurant were beautiful & did not taste "bought in & reheated" as commented by 1 reviewer. also the bunker was magnificent & altho very busy on a sat night the bar staff tried to be most gracious altho i did see some of them come under considerable stress due to the behaviour of customers so i can fully understand why the bouncers can be rude & the managers can look somewhat dishelleved after seeing the behaviour of armagh folk on a drunken sat night. All in all a wonderful stay & i can definetely say my husband & i will be staying there again

• Stayed January 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
s ireland
Reviewed December 5, 2005

both my husband and i have stayed in this hotel on two occasions ,and we were very happy with it and all the staff, were very nice . and no time when we stayed there did i see children running about screaming as one guest put it . ok the breakfast could improve but the food was very good otherwise. and we enjoyed our stay on both occasions

• Stayed August 2005
8 Thank bridie17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Armagh
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,436 reviews
Dundrum House
Dundrum House
#1 of 14 in Armagh

Been to Armagh City Hotel? Share your experiences!