“Worst hotel in a long time.”
Review of Armagh City Hotel

Armagh City Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Armagh
Reviewed August 8, 2008

Where to start !
This hotel has such potential.
Right in the middle of Armagh, loads of parking, solid walls which meant a great nights sleep and a good breakfast.
We travelled as a family of four adults and two children. Checked in by pleasant front of house staff and directed to two rooms .
Both had two single beds attached as a double and two singles. Decor so dated,carpet badly worn and splashes of ketchup on the curtains.Old tv sets, one with skyone the other skynews ! One room had lots of tea ,coffee ,milk sachets . The other had two of each.
Dirty glass with imprint of toothpaste on the rim, broken grab rail in the bath and again one room with minimal toiletries the other room an excess !
Down for food , four of us decided on bar food which was good but took 30mins to get to table.
The bar area is dark and dated, again ketchup on the chair beside us and a dead wasp on thefloor.
Dinner for two of us in the friary restaurant was very poor and pricey.
Steak was very tough. For dessert, the icecream came on a hot plate and my baileys cheesecake was actually mint.
When i pointed this out i was told "oh yes, thats right !"
A stone from a peach or prune was on the chair beside us , the three waitresses that served us each looked at it and walked away. We were laughing at this stage.
Armagh was lovely, well worth a visit .
We ate in embers coffee house for lunch and dinner the next day and only slept in the hotel.
Accessing the pool was also an ordeal, voucher from front desk, through locked doors downstairs and offered two towels by the unsmiling attendant. We got six and had a nice swim with the pool to ourselves.
We decided that basically the staff just don't care which is a pity.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank robomom
There are newer reviews for Armagh City Hotel

Reviewed August 4, 2008

Never stayed in a worse hotel in all my 40+ years of travelling. The staff are incompetent and not only managed to mix up my booking but showed a 'couldn't care less' approach to trying to rectify their mistake.

The hotel management I would imagine would struggle to run a market stall never mind hotel. Their blatant lack of communication and social graces is abhorrent and totally unexpected from an aesthetically pleasing city hotel. If looks are anything to go by, by all means stay in the armagh city. If you prefer substance, in that you would like to be treated with manners and as a valued customer DEFINATELY LOOK ELSEWHERE

As you can probably ascertain from the tone of my review the staff at the hotel have managed to offend me so much I feel obliged to save future travellers from any possible future heartache

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank thehoops1888
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Very nice modern Hotel... Great Athmosphere in the place in general, they have a very efficient, friendly staff .. Bar food was only average.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We were in Armagh for 2 nights. The hotel was nicely decorated and felt fresh and clean. We stayed on the third floor. My parents were on the second floor. Their room was above the bar and they were kept awake by the music so I would recommend asking for an upper floor. We arrived on a Saturday evening, unaware that everything is closed on Sundays. We spent Sunday driving around town trying to get our bearings. A good map would be nice! The city is so rich in history and the country-side is beautiful. We drove to Castle Leslie for horseback riding on Tuesday. It was the hilight of our trip! Overall, the hotel was nice and Jaymie at the front desk was invaluable! I plan to visit Armagh again and spend more time researching geneaology. I am sure to stay at Armagh City Hotel. Hopefully Jaymie is still there to help me out!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2008

My husband and I were looking for somewhere new and we found an absolute gem in Armagh. The Armagh City Hotel is really close to the city centre. We just parked the car and forgot about driving for the whole weekend. The welcome was nice - not too formal which we liked but very efficient. Our room was beautiful and seemed brand new. The view from it overlooked the cathedrals - splendid.
We decided to try the Friary Restaurant for dinner as we'd heard that the chef had won an award and it was as good as we've had anywhere.
We were surprised that there's so much to do in Armagh - two Cathedrals, the Planetarium and the Observatory and other smaller musems as well... and we spent ages exploring them.
It was a lovely stay and great value too.
We'll be back.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Hi, my husband and two children just back from a lovely weekend break in Armagh - Staying at the Armagh City Hotel was a lovely experience - I booked the room via the hotel directly and was dealt with a very efficient receptionist called Jaymie - she was very professional - when we arrived at the hotel the level of professionalism was repeated by the other receptionists. Our hotel room was lovely and the beds super comfy. The bar snacks on the first night excellent backed up by brilliant irish hospitality. The decking out side the bar was fantastic. The coffee shop in the spacious foyer was an added bonus. We had a meal in the restaurant on Saturday night - again fantastic the only hiccup was our 4yr old was "out of tune" and the girls in the restaurant brought her down crayons and books and a wee drink to get her settled. The only problem I had in the hotel was when we went down to the swimming pool - we were given 2 towels for 4 people - the leisure centre receptionist said there was a £2 charge for the childrens towels (we had no cash down with us) having explained this she just shrugged her shoulders and only gave us two more towels when I said the children would be going up to their rooms dripping wet and health & safety issues was my concern - she literally chucked 2 towels at us - I might add that I didnt get her name but she was not irish!! Also this swimming pool does not have a childrens paddling section. I would also like to mention the hotel room staff - a man and woman - both not irish but were really polite and friendly.The hotel is situated beside the Palace Stables Heritage Centre which has a nice wee enclosed playpark and loads of grounds to run about in.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2008

Stayed here with my fiancee just for a quiet weekend away. No major complaints. The room and bathroom were clean and reception is very nice. Just a few things bugged me, we booked a double room, not a triple with two of the beds pushed together and a double sheet put on it, the room was beside the life and very loud and live music in the bar was very audible till late at night.

Location is great for visiting Armagh and we ate in the grill bar of the hotel and food/service were great.

Would recommend for an overnight stay, but there isn't much to do for a longer visit.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Armagh
Charlemont Arms Hotel
Cross Square Hotel
Cross Square Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crossmaglen
Tullylagan Country House Hotel

Been to Armagh City Hotel? Share your experiences!