“Opulent surroundings, great food”
Review of 1868 Restaurant & Wine Bar - CLOSED

1868 Restaurant & Wine Bar
Cuisines: French, Irish, Steakhouse, British, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

We visited this restaurant mid week with 5 friends. We were greeted with a warm fire and friendly staff. The meal was excellent and represented great value for money. I can highly recommend the 'little beauty' wine. Delicious food, good value and great service. I will defiantly be back 10/10

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Four of recently visited this restaurant and I have to admit the food and service is much better than it used to be. Food was very good as was the service. Keep up the good work....we will be back soon.

1  Thank Brano28
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My friend booked this restaurant for the two of us and we were both disappointed. We had opted for the early bird menu. There was not a great choice but we choose for the stuffed chicken with mushrooms and mash. ( I do not like mushrooms so was going to ask for something else) However we were told that the chilcken would not be stuffed but pan fried and that there would be no mushrooms. We were both puzzled by this as it wouldn't really leave much on the dish to eat. So we opted for the fish ,chips and mushy peas instead. I had also asked for a starter of the pea and mint soup. However the waiter came back and said the chef wasnt happy with the quality of the soup and there was leek and potato instead. I was beginning to think we were in Fawlty Towers. However the Leek and potato soup was very nice. The fish and chips were nice but the peas were not mushy- just pea puree spread on the plate which was dried up. My friend had a desert of chcolate brownie and ice cream. The brownie should have been called blackie because it was so dark. My friend said it was as if someone had overdone the chocolate. She couldnt eat it as it was so strong. On the plus side service was good. I cant understand why the menu wasnt changed if the food wasn't available. It does not look good if the waiter has to tell you the food on the menu isnt available particularly early in the evening. I can't understand why there weren't proper vegetables with the meals. My friend was also disappointed that the interior woodwork had been painted over. A previous reviewer had also mentioned this. I am not sure if I will return.

2  Thank Martina H
ArmaghRestaurant, Owner at 1868 Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Hi there, firstly let me say a huge thank you for giving us your feedback... Every time we see a review flash up our hearts are in our mouths. It's either elation or in this case a gut wrenching feeling to get a bad review. I am so sorry we fell short of your expectations... During this past week we have been changing to our autumn menu to reflect the changing local produce. Rather than an immediate change to the new menu, we do tastings with staff and some customers. Our executive chef from 4th wall Belfast jonny hamilton also assists and the two head chefs work as a team on the recipes and presentation. Hence for couple of weeks the dishes are changeable until we feel they suit our customers needs and I don't know another restaurant that goes to these lengths to try and get it right.
So apologies to you both, myself the managers, fabien and lee the chefs are all disappointed we got it wrong. Again thanks for the feedback and taking the time to do a review. We have taken it all on board and perhaps if you would like to join our tasting panel and really make a difference you can email me on 1868restaurant@gmail.com We really want to please our customers as you may have seen from our those precious good reviews that our customers were kind to make. All the best, Alessndro, Fabien, Lee, Jayne and the Team at 1868

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We went to 1868 for our lunch. The menu wasn't extensive but we were only looking toasties, so it was fine. The toasties were very nice and came with very big chips. For dessert I had pumpkin pie and it was absolutely gorgeous. Service was excellent, and the atmosphere was great.

Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

The food in here is such good value on the set menu, and totally delicious. I'm not sure if it's because the food has been consistently good each time I've eaten here, or if it's the fact we stop here oh the road home from Dublin and I'm usually famished that I love this place so much! Service is great, food is great, atmosphere is great (although I preferred it slightly more when everything wasn't all white, but that's just personal taste!)