All reviews costa coffee sea view hotel restaurant cod front of house lovely meal sea front rathlin island cooked breakfast fair head family room giants causeway dark hedges game of thrones bistro foyer wedding
Selected filters
Reviewed May 30, 2019

The service and wait staff here are SUPERB! Bags brought up to rooms, kind and generous reception, beautiful location, this place has it all. I needed to know where a convenience store was and not only did my waitress Cathy show me where it was, she also ran over with me and helped bring it over! She is wonderful, I can't praise her enough. Come enjoy the beauty and the beach here as well as the amazing people and food!

Trip type: Traveled with friends
MHGenManager, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2019

Dear Jasmiley,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your experience when you stayed with us recently. I will ensure that all of the team are informed of your kind comments especially Cathy our Food and Beverage Supervisor. We are glad you enjoyed your time in Ballycastle and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed May 29, 2019

Firstly, when at the hotel we looked again at past reviews and thought we must be at a different hotel. The many glowing reviews, we now simply could not believe what we were reading. Some past reviews are so glowing they left us wondering, and never again trusting any hotel with so many reviews that look too good to be true.

The hotel makes no mention of its guests having to pay £5 a day to park – the car park itself must be 100 yards from the car to the front door. Actually, the ticket machine only accepts £4 due to a fault the hotel said it had received many comments about and had been waiting weeks for the machine to be repaired. When we got home, we checked our booking confirmation to find FREE parking was available – patently untrue. We sent an email about this and received a full refund of our £8.

All I say below has been said face to face to the general manager.

Between the front of the hotel and the beach is a busy road and large recreation area that together must put 200 feet between the hotel and the beach. Our corner of the hotel ‘Executive Room, overlooked one busy road and on another side a very busy roundabout.
We paid £145 B and B per night. Our room looked nothing like any room you see on their web site. Because of the noise outside we slept with the windows shut.

We booked months ahead of our visit and on the hotel’s ‘Special Requests’ section of the booking form we asked for a sheet and blanket instead of a duvet. This was not provided. What followed at the hotel amounted to five requests from us and a Falty Towers style FIASCO that is too long to describe here; it culminated with the general manager bringing the relevant linen to the room and remaking the bed herself.

The hotel claims to provide The White Company toiletries; we found this to be untrue. None were in the room when we arrived; only one hair conditioning bottle, one tiny bar of soap, and the almost empty body wash dispenser over the bath. See photo below. If The White Company toiletries were, as claimed by the manger, forgotten on the day, why was the old soap dispenser still on the wall?! The general manager eventually supplied very large (for a hotel, suspiciously large) containers of The White Company toiletries.

On the first morning at 7.30 am there was no hot water.
There was no extract fan in the bathroom and the window was locked for ‘health and safety reasons’.

Our worst hotel stay in Northern Ireland, by far. We left after two nights feeling cheated.

On a positive note and seemingly thanks to a competent chef, the restaurant was very good. The positive reviews for this are justified.

Room tip: Remember the long walk from the car park behind the hotel.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank outan3
MHGenManager, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2019

Good afternoon Mr Whyte,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience when you stayed with us at the weekend. As you have pointed out we had discussed some of your comments on two occasions during your stay and l had discounted your bill and had presented you with a gift as an apology.

Mr Whyte I apologise again for the short comings in service that the bed was not made up with blankets and sheets as previously requested and that the white company products were not in your room, this was due to the Hotel waiting on the delivery of additional wall brackets for the bottles which l had placed in your room.

The car park had been taken over by a management company in April, there is free car parking at the front and to the side of the Hotel. Mr Whyte l believe you had also received a refund of £8 for your car parking.

All of the reviews are written by guests that have previously stayed in the Hotel. Mr Whyte as l have previously discussed with you all of your comments and feedback will be taken on board and communicated to the Directors of the Hotel , steps will be put in place to ensure they do not reoccur and especially on a Bank Holiday weekend.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed May 27, 2019 via mobile

Do yourself a favor if you like sea food like me call in and get the best and beautifully presented sea food soup I have had in long time plus the fish and chips lovely will be back. Take a walk along the front the view is breathtaking

Trip type: Traveled with family
MHGenManager, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2019

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your experience when you dined with us recently. I will ensure that all of the team are informed of your kind comments especially the F&B team . We are glad you enjoyed your time in Ballycastle and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed May 23, 2019 via mobile

Stayed in a seaview room for two nights, comfortable beds and very clean. Excellent breakfast, buffet continental and waffles, hot food cooked to order weekdays, buffet at the weekend. Helpful polite staff.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
MHGenManager, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2019

Dear Pam,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your experience when you stayed with us recently. I will ensure that all of the team are informed of your kind comments especially the breakfast chef. We are glad you enjoyed your time in Ballycastle and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed May 20, 2019 via mobile

Ballycastle is one of my favourite places on the north coast and I have stayed often at the Marine. Every visit is always a pleasure- the staff and quality of service is always of the highest order. I often recommend staying with them to friends visiting the area. Having recently read about the new upgraded rooms available at the Marine hotel in Ballycastle, I took the opportunity to revisit and booked one of the sea view suites. My expectations were exceeded on every level. The quality exhibited in the design and levels of detail are outstanding. The bath tub with room for two and views out over the harbour is outstanding. The bathroom would not be out of place in a high end boutique hotel in London or New York and the toiletries provided are so so good. The coffee maker, mini fridge, bath robes, the lighting, the large floor to ceiling mirrors with angled side mirrors perfect for checking out whatever you may be wearing- every detail has been thought of and provided for. The included breakfast has continental and cooked to order hot options- I would easily say that it is one of the nicest breakfast offerings I have ever received in any hotel Worldwide (the freshly made waffles are a particular treat). I would not have expected a seaside hotel to be able to provide such an offering of this quality, but they do- and I could not be more impressed with what they have achieved and will be continuing to recommend the Marine to friends and family visiting the north coast. Visiting the Marine has gone from being a real treat- to providing the option of a high end indulgent luxury break.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
MHGenManager, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2019

Dear James,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your experience when you stayed with us recently in one of new sea view suites. I will ensure that all of the team are informed of your kind comments especially the kitchen brigade. We are glad you enjoyed your time in Ballycastle and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!