“Most friendly and welcoming staff I have come across in a long time.”

Marine Hotel Ballycastle
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballycastle
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a weekend with a walking club on a group outing. I was very impressed with the location of the hotel which was fronted by a lovely beach. The town of Ballycastle is beautifully kept with not a bit of litter in sight. It is not home to tacky casinos or takeaways like many seaside resorts and the local business people are very friendly. The hotel reception staff were ecceptional in their welcome and eagerness to help. The restaurant and bar staff were also very friendly. There was a great variety of gluten free foods and vegetarian options on the menu. Food was quite nice but I would have liked a bit more variety of vegetables with my meal. Breakfast was very nice and variety was adequate. We had a lovely bedroom facing the beach and the view was lovely. My one complaint would be that one shower gel and shampoo per day for two guests wasnt great especially for walkers. However, the beds were comfy and room was cosy.I would definitely stay in the Marine Hotel in Ballycastle agsin.

• Stayed: May 2014
MHGenManager, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear 190Lucy,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that that you were impressed with Ballycastle Town. We strive to offer a welcoming and enjoyable experience here at the hotel and our staff are an integral part of that, I have passed on your kind comments to the reception team and also passed on your advise to the housekeeping team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

After visiting rathlin island on sunday we decided to end our day with a meal in the marine hotel..not a wise choice
After sittin almost 20mins on 2 bowls of soup which I mite add wasnt too bad we ordered our mains..I ordered a very over priced rump steak with chunky chips the only thing on the plate edable was the very tastless small piece of meat on my plate the chips were hard as boards to say the least an the onions tasted foul..wen I complained to the young but very pleasant waiter he promptly returned with skinny chips but at this stage to be honest I had gone rite of my meal..my partner ordered cock an bull which came out as a watery stew and not very appetising looking either..we were given free desert but small consolation for such a bad meal..very pleasant staff tho.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank cazzi37

Dear Cazzi37,
I was very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your experience at the hotel, I was disappointed that we did not achieve our normal level of high standards, I have spoken to all the team involved and taken your points on board and hopefully we can learn from it as we constantly try to improve our standard of service at the hotel. I hope it will not deter you from returning and that you will see that this was an isolated incident.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

A lovely, family friendly hotel right on the beach. I was here with a group of girlfriends for a night away from the kids. We had a ball! Great service, great food and great cocktails! A lovely walk on the beautiful beach in the morning to blow the cobwebs away. I will definitely be back, I might even bring the kids the next time.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank SadieN_Ireland

Dear SadieN_Ireland,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your break away, we have recently launched our girls night away package, so if your looking for a return trip please do not hesitate to contact my team.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
General Manger

Reviewed April 22, 2014

A group of friends and I stayed at the hotel a couple of weekends ago, staying on the Hen night package. When we got to our rooms there was bubbly waiting for us and canapés, all the staff were really lovely and made sure every thing we needed was taken care of. We had a great meal in Marconi's and enjoyed the quaint little local pubs on the seafront. The location is fabulous with the beach right on the doorstep and we were all able to enjoy a bracing beach walk before the generous checkout time. All in all it was a fabulous night, priced really reasonably. We all agreed we would go back again, maybe with kids next time as the playground and beach are right at the door.

Room Tip: Great sized family rooms at the front of the hotel have beautiful sea views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gillian N
MHGenManager, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear GillianN,
Thank you very much for your kind review, i was delighted to hear you and your friends enjoyed your weekend away, i have passed on all your kind comments to all the team. Ballycastle certainly has a lot to offer , we consider it a little "gem" especially the seafront.
I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Marine Hotel, we have recently added 3 new family rooms to make a family stay all the more enjoyable.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We decided to stop off at the Marine Hotel for a meal while visiting the North Coast. We had heard it had re-opened again and rather than stop at Bushmills we travelled on to the Hotel. We were led to our table and advised that the table needed changing. When we were about to order we were advised that at least 5 of the mains were no longer available which impacted on us as the menu was not that extensive to begin with. My partner ordered fish & chips and I ordered salmon with dauphinoise potatoes and spaghetti veg. More than 10mins later our waitress advised us that there was no fish left and my partner ordered chicken goujons. Again we waited and still no one had changed the table cloth - drinks were served and cutlery was thrown onto the table. We had to ask again to get the stained tablecloth changed and it was but not in a way that was conducive to a restaurant - original one turfed onto the floor and the new one just about on top of the table - we rearranged it to ensure it wasn't going to slide off.

Some of the other diners were complaining about the time it was taking for starters and many were leaving their chunky chips at the side of the plate. Our meal arrived and my partner could not eat his undercooked chunky chips. My salmon was fine but unfortunately the potatoes were solid (as if they had been cooked the day before and then stuck into the oven when ordered) and the spaghetti veg must just have been dipped into hot water - they were not cooked at all and tasteless and unappealing.

I advised the waitress about the meal and she took it away. She returned and said the chef said that's how they cooked the potato and veg and she asked me if I wanted to order something else. It had already taken about half an hour for this meal to be served so I advised her that there would be no point as my partner was nearly finished his meal at this stage.

The waitress then asked us if we wanted a complimentary drink to which we replied no and she duly gave us our bill.

A couple beside us had complained to the staff about their starters and mains and were also very disappointed with their meal.

We were also very disappointed with the entire service from the start - we do understand that it was Easter Monday and it was busy but we have never experienced such bad service and it spoiled the end of our Easter break.

In my opinion the chef should have come out himself to explain about the food instead of asking a young girl to explain and take the flack from unhappy diners and this girl had to take a fair bit yesterday. We don't blame our waitress for anything but with better training she would have been able to present a better image of the restaurant.

We will not be returning to the hotel in the future and would not recommend it for dining.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank wogan1

Dear Wogan1,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, i was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your experience at The Marine Hotel. It is a pity that you feel our staff were not up to the standards that you are used to but as you will see from all other reviewers they are the hotels greatest asset.
All i can do is offer my sincere apologies to you and all of the other guests that you feel were not looked after properly on the day, it is certainly not my intention or my teams to offer an unpleasant experience to any of our guests. I can assure that all of our food is cooked and none is cooked the day before.
As you mentioned it was extremely busy on the day so i am sure you can understand why the chef didn't have time to come and speak with you at your table.
Angela your waitress did follow our policy of speaking with chef, and he felt by offering you another Salmon that you might still be unhappy as the dish wouldn't change and that is why he offered you an alternative dish and a complimentary drink.
If you would like to contact me directly i would be more than happy to speak with on your own personal issues of the day, and to offer you the chance to experience the normal high level of food and service at the Marine Hotel.

You can Contact me on
gm@marinehotelballycastle.com

Again i offer my sincere apologies, and i look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Visited Ballycastle on Easter Sunday and the entire seafront was busy busy. Great to see the sun after so many terrible wet days. Our family had dinner at the hotel and although there was a wait for a table and then food, it was worth it. The food was great as always and the staff very good, even though you could see they were very busy - but then it was Easter Sunday and everywhere was busy. I look forward to going back during the summer.

Room Tip: Book a table in advance
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Dympna L

Dear Dymna L.
Thank you very much for your kind review, i am glad you enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel, we were as happy as you to see the Sun arrive in Ballycastle over the Easter it certainly made the weekend more enjoyable for all visitors.
I was sorry to hear there was a bit of wait of your food but as you would agree it was extremely busy over the weekend and it is not normally an issue.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Marine Hotel on your next visit to Ballycastle.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Stayed here recently for a couple of nights whilst exploring Ballycastle and Rathlin. Knew in advance from reviews and news that the Hotel is still a bit of a work in progress but we were pleasantly surprised. Decor is dated but room was clean and functional. Bed was a little soft but fine for a couple of nights. Free wifi was a great surprise for a location with unremarkable mobile coverage. Staff were extremely helpful and very pleasant.

Breakfast is standard hotel fare, nice enough. The attached bar and restaurant though is a gem. Staff are tremendous and we thought the food was great.

All in all a great hotel to stay in to explore the north coast further. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Had a side room with some sea view, not much of an issue though as the hotel is a stones throw from...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear RedstarDuggan,
Thank you for your review of The Marine Hotel, i was very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us,and i can agree with you our staff are our best asset.
We currently have plans to start refurbishing the rooms later this year, so maybe on your next visit you will enjoy your stay even more, and i look forward to welcoming you back to The Marine Hotel.

Michael

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballycastle
The Fullerton Arms
#1 of 1 in Portballintrae
Magherabuoy House Hotel
Magherabuoy House Hotel
#5 of 8 in Portrush

Been to Marine Hotel Ballycastle? Share your experiences!