“Nice Relaxed Lunch”

Marine Hotel Ballycastle
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballycastle
“Nice Relaxed Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Nice lunch menu and good friendly service with a lovely view from the restaurant/bar area. Lady at reception very helpful in getting payment of the bill sorted. So good to have such a good option on such an ideal site. Well done the Marine. Looking forward to a return in the near future.

Stayed March 2014
MHGenManager, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear DSP1963,
Thank you very much for your kind comments , i am delighted that you had a very relaxed lunch. Our team at the Marine really pride themselves in offering such an experience, we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Czech first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night and I am glad we hadn't booked a second. The room is very dated and although I can put up with that I cannot accept such uncomfortable beds. The mattresses are about 20 years old with a topper, my back was very sore the following morning. The room was cold and we had to ask for a heater as the heat had been turned off in the hotel. The extra blankets had dirty brown marks on them. The shower was also terrible with little pressure. The breakfast was also disappointing. I went to this hotel about 20 years ago and it is exactly the same!! I would recommend ballycastle but not this hotel.

2 Thank Carol S
MHGenManager, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Carol S,
Thank you for your review, i was very disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are constantly working to improve our standards through out the hotel and always take our customers reviews very seriously.
Only This week we upgraded our breakfast offering, which now includes a full cold buffet offering.
I do hope you will return in the future so you can see the improvements that we are making to make your experience all the more enjoyable at The Marine Hotel
belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

My husband, daughter and i stayed for 2 nights over st patricks day. we have stayed here on a number of occasions of the last 12 years. we always have a lovely stay, great service, friendly staff and good breakfast. The staff even helped my husband to surprise me for my birthday by putting banners, balloons and prosecco in our room which was brilliant. I am sure we will return but i would say that there is room for improvement regarding the room decor and hotel facitlities. it would have been of great benefit if the country club was re opened.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Cathielanz,
Thank you very much for your kind comments, i am glad you enjoyed you stay with us and that you had an enjoyable birthday at the Hotel.
Our staff are our greatest assets and i have passed on your comments to all the team.
I Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, when you will see the constant improvements we are making at the hotel.
Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

I have to agree that the rooms need updating but that aside I really enjoyed the hotel,all the staff
i had contact with were friendly and helpful , the food was good and the breakfast was worth getting up for as it was very good with plenty of choice with happy smiling staff ,We had a very enjoyable stay and we will be back

1 Thank jimmy868
MHGenManager, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Jimmy868,

Thank you very much for your review, i am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your kind comments to all the team, and i look forward to welcoming you back to The Marine Hotel.

london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

I had lunch here a few days ago with an old friend and enjoyed it so much I stayed for 6 hours! It took me ages to decide what to have as the menu was very appetising. I eventually plumped for the chicken caesars salad but not without putting Sean the waiter through his paces. Is the bacon crispy? Reply "i can make it crispy". Is the chicken warm? "I can make it warm" and then when it came, i asked for more dressing which was brought to me promptly. I was delighted with my choice as was my friend who had the marconi burger. It was all washed down with er, 3 bottles of merlot.We had a great afternoon with good food and excellent service.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank moiramcv
Dear Moiramcv,
Thank you very much for your lovely comments about our food and in particular Sean, he was delighted with the review, it is always nice for staff to get recognition from customers for all their hard work.
I agree The Marine Hotel really is a place you can pass your afternoon, enjoying good food and fantastic views of the sea.
I look forward to welcoming you again to the hotel in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

It has been quite a long time since I visited the Marine in Ballycastle but I have always been a fan and was disappointed when it closed. We got a great deal in October from Treat Ticket but booked for March. The rooms do indeed need work to update them and make them look stylish but this is kind of splitting hairs. Our bed was comfortable, the room was warm (too much so but we could control our own radiators which I liked so I just turned them down), the shower was strong and hot and my partner loves a bath in a hotel room. We also had a decent view of the beach in room 107. The location of the hotel is perfect and nothing is too far away. We ate in the hotel restaurant, Marconis, on Friday night and had their steak deal. Our deal included £10 off food. Service and food were both fantastic and I am still dreaming about the Bushmills sauce! It was simply OMG and I am delighted I took the recommendation from our server. Admittedly the wine wasn't nice, it tasted cheap and a bit nasty so maybe check what you are getting. Breakfasts were plentiful and cooked to perfection, absolutely gorgeous. The breakfast dining room is light and comfortable and feels like a nice room to sit in and eat. I really liked the addition of a coffee shop in the foyer of the hotel, which serves great coffee! I am not sure if there was entertainment on but if not then there should be as this hotel deserves to attract people in to help it stay afloat this time. The one thing that stood out the most was the friendly and efficient service of all the staff we came in contact with. The welcome was warm, friendly and added to our enjoyment. I am really hoping to catch a deal again for our birthdays later this year - we are on a budget with buying a new house so returning to a town we love and hotel we love would be ideal. I think with some updating and opening the spa again this hotel could push itself to a 4 star. We will certainly be rooting for it and will be back.

2 Thank JayBeck
Dear Jaybeck,
I read your review with great delight, it really is a pleasure to hear that the hotels old customers are returning and i am really glad you enjoyed your experience on your return visit.
I have passed on your kind comments to all the team at the hotel.
We offer regular deals at the hotel so please keep on eye on our Facebook page and our website so you don't miss any of our fantastic offers.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Marine Hotel on your next visit to Ballycastle.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

Was here for one night with friends on a 'deal' which included afternoon tea...this was the only thing that let the hotel down...the choice was a scone or a bun...the scone was stale and those who chose the cake were unable to eat it. We spoke to Colum ( the owner) who explained that it was enforced by living social that afternoon tea be offered...while I appreciate that the Marine doesn't serve afternoon tea, IF it's part of a deal it should be fresh and generous! That said the evening meal was very good and reasonably priced, the breakfast was very good indeed with lovely staff who were friendly and helpful as well as attentive. The reception staff were also very good and all lovely local staff. This hotel was closed abruptly a few years ago and Colum and his business partner are working hard to turn it round. There is an excellent golf course in Ballycastle and loads of local attractions including the Giants causeway. Our deal included entrance to Bushmills Distillery which was an excellent tour. We enjoyed our stay and when the swimming pool opens and the bedrooms are refurbished this will be top notch!

Room Tip: Family room 119 brilliant with fabulous sea views!