“Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballycastle
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Stayed overnight with a group of friends. Made to feel most welcome at reception and sea view room which we didn't expect. Bar very smartly decorated. Great food, pity we ddidn't get to stay for carvery. We will be back!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Patricia-hotel-GM, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Many thanks for your kind comments.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Marine Hotel.

I look forward to seeing you at the hotel again in the future, maybe next time you will sample our carvery.

Patricia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Czech first
Kircubbin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I must say it's been quite a while since I have tried the good old sunday carvery anywhere. Having being a frequent visitor to many through the years, I had sort of "fell out!" with them. Standards seemed to have dropped everywhere over the years, or maybe my luck had run out!! On hearing great reports of the newly re-opened marine Hotel in Ballycastle, and having the opportunity while in the area yesterday, I popped in to give it a go.

Value for money was superb. Half the battle in my eyes at a carvery. 5 courses £16.95
Hot & Cold Starters, (some nifty salads in there!! lovely)
Soup,
Mains, Selection of 5 or 6 freshly carved meats, 3 types of Spud, 4 different veg, 2/3 sauce/gravy
Sweets, Hot & Cold, again a big selection all obviously made on site
Tea, Coffee shortbread.

I recommend anyone to try, advise not to go too soon after a breakfast or have no breakfast at all as portions are very generous.

As someone once said... " I'll be back!"

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank StevieFagan
Patricia-hotel-GM, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Hi Stevie,

Apologies for not replying to you sooner but we had a few issues with duplicate listings.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our carvery and thought it was good value for money.

I hope to see you back at the hotel again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

We returned to have lunch last Sunday and the carvery was AMAZING !!! There is so much choice with fresh items, hot and cold, lots of roasts and a huge choice of puddings. The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. At £16.95 it is excellent value compared to other Sunday lunch offerings on the north coast.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Patricia-hotel-GM, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Hi Dympna,

Many thanks for your kind words, I am delighted that you enjoyed our Sunday carvery and had a good experience at the hotel.

I hope you welcome you back to the marine in the future.

Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

We have now stayed twice at the Marine hotel in Ballycastle since it reopened after years of being out of use. The new owners have created a comfortable unpretentious hotel where the greatest asset is the amazing staff. We have never stayed in a hotel where the staff have been so warm and welcoming and anxious to help.
It is clear that the refurbishment programme has still things to address but they are purely questions of updating some areas. We have stayed in sea front rooms, one with a balcony and both were generous in size, comfortably furnished and very clean. On a cold November evening, the room was warm and cosy. We sampled the excellent 5 course Sunday carvery lunch which was amazing value and had a range of desserts which was worthy of a five star establishment!

And as for the Ulster fry at breakfast, my husband who likes a traditional breakfast was in seventh heaven!

The hotel has a lovely situation right on the sea front with lovely views of the beach, harbour and
Rattling Island and is ideal for anyone wanting to explore the Antrim Coast and glens.

Room Tip: Sea front rooms are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Patricia-hotel-GM, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Hi Christine,

many thanks for your kind words. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Marine Hotel.

I am very lucky to have such a great team working with me and I receive compliments regularly about them, thank you.

We are planning a refurbishment of the accommodation as you rightly pointed out some of it is a little dated.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a lovely relaxing break in the Marine Hotel Ballycastle.
Food excellent,freshly cooked and well presented,staff pleasant and helpful, hotel very comfortable, would definitely return.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine M
Hi Catherine,

Many thanks for your kind comments, I am pleased you had an enjoyable experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Marine hotel in the future.

Ballymoney, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have not stayed overnight in the hotel as it is beside my house however I wanted to say this review about the Marconi Bar and Bistro for food. I would not advise anyone to eat here, go to the other restaurants on the Main Street for a far superior meal.

I the bistro I had the pork scratching with rocket and red onion for starter and I had NO rocket or red onion the pork belly was almost all fat, I have had pork belly before and know it is a combination of pork meat and the fat but there was virtually NO meat at all.

I then had the cock and bull main course which was supposed to be chicken fillet and. Bed strips on a bed of mash with pepper sausages. What I got was more like a messy stew, I had a piece of chicken the size of a small finger nail and no more. Four of my strips of beef were so tough I could literally not cut through it. I had to leave almost the whole meal. My boyfriend had the same and he did have chicken in his, but it was cold. Perhaps it is just added to the stew at the end? I can actually say I have never seen a meal like it.

We sat until I hoped I would see a manager to point this out, but in the end we just got up and paid at the bar. We paid for this as we did not want to make a fuss, or upset the young waiter but the more I thought of it I just had to let you know. It was so bad I actually had to take a picture of the food so that others could believe me.

We often have coffee and drinks in the hotel and I have been pleased with the Sunday buffet, however I was just so shocked at the bar meal and would certainly not consider going back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Louise C
Hi Louise,

many thanks for your comments. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy our Bistro, we have received many good comments about the food and service so I will look into what happened on this occasion.

We are in the process of planning a new menu that is due to be launched this month. I hope that you will return and give us another opportunity to let you enjoy a better experience.

Newtownabbey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a two day stay in the Marine Hotel. We began with the Sunday Carvery which was excellent. Breakfast on the two mornings was also very good. We were however extremely disappointed by the poor accommodation. We stayed in Room 103 which had an adjoining room. With only a single door between the rooms we found that we could hear every word being said by the people next door. The very poor sound proofing made for two nights of lost sleep. When we expressed our disappointment to the Receptionist the next morning she offered to see if an alternative room was available for our second night. However having been assured that no one would be staying in the next room on our second night we said that we would be content to stay in Room 103. We were therefore extremely annoyed to find that the adjoining room was occupied that night with the resulting second night of disturbed sleep. If you are going to stay in this hotel make sure you do not get a room with an adjoining door!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GM1106
Many thanks for your comments. I am disappointed to read that you had a poor experience due to the accommodation.

We are planning to carry out a refurbishment of the accommodation and eliminate this issue.

I hope that it has not put you off returning to the hotel in the future.

Patricia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballycastle
The Fullerton Arms
#3 of 3 in Bushmills
Portrush Atlantic Hotel
Portrush Atlantic Hotel
#4 of 8 in Portrush

Been to Marine Hotel Ballycastle? Share your experiences!