“A litle bit weird”
Review of The Promenade Cafe

The Promenade Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Irish
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“A litle bit weird”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is a nice little cafe, not pretentious, the food and beverages are tasty and not overly pricey. Friendly though? Not overly. And verging on the peculiar. Firstly as I was ordering the food, I had the following conversation with the unsmiling proprietor -

Me: May I have some of your cheesecake in the cabinet please?
Proprietor: Do you mean the strawberry cheesecake?
Me: That must be the one, yes please.
Proprietor: We don't have any strawberry cheesecake. Only kiwi fruit.
Me: May I have a slice of that instead then please?

Then while we sat outside the equally unsmiling waitress came out holding several slices of cake and a couple of coffees. Standing in front of our table, a wasp took an interest in the cakes. Rather than putting the cakes down and making it our problem she starting making peculiar sounds and tried to swat the wasp with a hand holding the cake slices which was predictably ineffective. We quickly relieved her of her burden before we wore the cakes and coffees. Was she flushed with gratitude? Not a bit of it, she took a couple of proper swipes at the wasp to rile it up before retreating inside the cafe and leaving us with the now rather miffed insect. Perhaps she is allergic, who is to say but all in all, a bit whacky.

Would I return? Probably but only because striking up a rapport with the staff is not high on my agenda and it is in a nice location, and I liked what we consumed.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank MatesRatesGB

Dungannon, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stopped here and the food was excellent, ordered my daughter a stew and they only do one size portions, so they gave the rest to take home with us! Food is excellent, would go there again!

• Visited July 2013
Ballycastle, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Why didn't I come here before!?”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Having lived around Ballycastle most of my life, this was actually the first time I had eaten here. Not going to lie, it was the morning after the night before, so I went for a fry. It was exactly the way I ordered it (I would be a bit fussy), value for money and cheered me right up!

Visited April 2013
Dumfries
“Best value breakfasts, served with a smile”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Good food, great value, and best of all lovely staff. Maggie made us welcome, made sure we were well fed, always with a laugh, not just a smile.

Can't get better vale anywhere.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank wilmahatfit
Coagh
“good food reasonable prices”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

well worth a stop, parking just across the street, beautiful sea view, good wholesome food at a reasonable price and service is excellent. i recommend their fry up.

Visited May 2013