“The best place we stayed in Ireland”

and 1 more site!
The Old Manse B & B
Ranked #2 of 24 Ballycastle B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“The best place we stayed in Ireland”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This was probably the best place we stayed during our two week trip to Ireland. The house is gorgeous and furnished with amazing antiques. I had reserved a double room ensuite (ensuite is the designation for a private, attached bathroom in Ireland)--what we got was a bedroom, a sitting room, and a spacious balcony! Everything was immaculate as well as lovely. The room came with guides about local attractions and restaurants, as well as everything one might need for tea. Mark, the host, was truly friendly and very hospitable; in addition, the full Irish breakfast he served every morning was the best we had during our trip. The breakfast room was also beautiful. The only (very small) drawbacks were that the bed was creaky and the walls were a little thin (both of which are to be expected in an older house furnished with antiques). The location is great--within walking distance of all the restaurants in town, as well as the harbor to catch the ferry to Rathlin Island, and Ballycastle's beautiful beach. I highly recommend this B&B--I thought the price was very reasonable, as well!

Room Tip: Ask for the room on the second floor with the balcony overlooking the back yard.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank S_La_Mariposa
Herald28, Owner at The Old Manse B & B, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thanks to your tip everyone is looking for the balcony room - great!!!! I'm glad all was what you wanted - sorry for the late reply to your kind feedback. Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Settle, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We hadn't booked in advance, but were made extremely welcome by our host Mark. This lovingly restored house is a real gem, and the attention to detail is second to none. Our comfortable room included a spacious sitting area and an outside balcony overlooking he garden. The weather was warm and sunny, so we made good use of it. The bed linen was fresh and crisp and of the best quality. Mark was happy to make a reservation for us at a local restaurant where we enjoyed an excellent evening meal. In the morning a hearty Irish breakfast was served in the elegant dining room. We really did feel that we were guests in a relaxed and comfortable family home. We will recommend this wonderful place to others.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the outside space that the balcony room provided.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary H
Its hard to believe the summer is over as it doesn't seem that long since you were here. Thank you for the feedback - much appreciated. Mark
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My booked accommodation wasn't ready so I chose the Old Manse on appearance and wasn't disappointed. Very friendly welcome and lovely room at the back of the house (the family room) with a view of Fair Head. Lots of helpful advice and even a lift to the start of my walk. Thoroughly
recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank nigel a
Hello Nigel - I take it you got home safely - you needed 3 days I think to recover from all that walking. Maybe you will stroll by this way again, Mark. Oh and thanks for you response!!!
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have stayed at the Old Manse two times. Once when I was with my family two summers ago and just last month when I was traveling by myself. As a young adult (21) I can say that this is the most perfect place to stay, whether you are by yourself or with your family, they make you feel at home. They know the perfect amount of space to give you while still meeting your every need. The breakfast is wonderful, the rooms are very well furnished and cozy, and every member of the family is kinder than words. I had the chance to grow closer with them during my past stay and am not afraid to say that I consider them to be like the family I always wish I had in Ireland (being that I have an Irish background) ANYWAY. This is the place to stay and if I haven't convinced you yet, write a comment, ask your questions and I will change your mind. Look no further, The Old Manse has been most worthwhile b&b stay that I've experienced with my family as well as on my own.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 740Katie_Marie
Hi Katie - hows the course going? Jack and the dog miss you. Thanks for the photos of the 2 of you in the Kayak. Say Hello to Chips and you mum for me (and your twin sister). Mark
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Our stay at The Old Manse in Ballycastle was very friendly and extremely comfortable. Our host Mark was a legend and went out of his way to help us make the most of our short time there, recommending a local restaurants and attractions on our way to The Giants Causway.The rooms were clean,tidy and beautifully furnished. Highly recommended stay on your way to The Giants Causway or Bushmills.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Phyona
Sorry It has taken so long to respond to your lovely feedback. Hope you and your family can make it back some day, Mark
Portrush, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My husband and children had a wonderful time at this beautiful B&B in Ballycastle. Perfect location to the beach, and the main restaurants of the town. The family room is comfortable and with an adjoining room for the girls to sleep in. We had a great breakfast in a charming dining room which like the rest of the house has kept much of its original character. Can't wait to visit and stay again for a weekend away.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Belle G
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our visit to Ireland and Ballycastle was different than our usual practice of driving to a series of destinations and staying one or two nights. We traveled exclusively by inter-city bus and we planned a five day stay at Ballycastle. Mark, his family and The Old Manse made our stay in the upper right-hand corner of Northern Ireland a terrific experience. We contacted Mark ahead of the visit for tips on our sightseeing and ancestor-hunting plans. From that point on we felt that Mark and his family were like close next-door neighbors. Mark helped us trip planing, recommendations such as visiting Rathlin Island, meeting up with (way distant) family, and - with the loan of his family's bikes - cycling the area. The B&B is centrally located on the main street of the market town. Out the door to the left a couple blocks is the harbor and regional bus stop. Across the street are several soccer fields and a beautiful hillside pasture. Up the street to the right are old-town neighborhood businesses, places to eat, places to see, pubs, and side streets to explore. Our bedroom views of the Fair Head fields and cliff with Scotland in the distance, and the Herald's beautiful rear yard were a bonus. We're hoping to get back to Ballycastle some day and this is where we want to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank william j
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballycastle
Marine Hotel Ballycastle
#1 of 1 in Portballintrae
An Caislean
An Caislean
#5 of 24 in Ballycastle

Been to The Old Manse B & B? Share your experiences!